Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Default Advice on buying an air compressor for cleaning/dusting

I have a number of applications for compressed air, and I've been
wanting to have an unlimited source (vs. cans of Dust Off or similar).

Some example applications:

- Cleaning dust from various household items (we live in a dusty area)
- Blowing dust bunnies out of our desktop computers once a year or so
- Blowing dust out of our garage-remodeled-to-portrait studio (yes, I
know - this is much higher demand than the first two examples)

What I've been able to find out so far:

- A diaphragm-style (oil-less) compressor is preferable; no particles
of oil in the air stream
- A filter may still be required to deal with water droplets (from
condensation during compression)
- I want something electrical (not gas powered)
- I would need a "blow gun" attachment (?)

I don't have any sense for what I need in terms of max. PSI, capacity
(gal), or flow rate.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks in advance!

-Scott

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a number of applications for compressed air, and I've been
wanting to have an unlimited source (vs. cans of Dust Off or similar).

Some example applications:

- Cleaning dust from various household items (we live in a dusty area)

Blowing dust will not eleminated dust, it only stirs it up so that it can
resettle later in the day.
You would be much better off using a vaccuum and perhaps running an air
filter.

- Blowing dust bunnies out of our desktop computers once a year or so

Same here.

- Blowing dust out of our garage-remodeled-to-portrait studio (yes, I
know - this is much higher demand than the first two examples)

Use a leaf blower.

What I've been able to find out so far:

- A diaphragm-style (oil-less) compressor is preferable; no particles
of oil in the air stream

Lot's of noisw with those type compressors.

- A filter may still be required to deal with water droplets (from
condensation during compression)

For the purposes you have stated the condensation coming out the hose may
not be an issue. When the compressor gets hot in humid conditions the water
becomes more of a problem.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

Can anyone offer some advice?

My dad got one of these for his vacation home:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...-WK&lpage=none

small, easy to carry, fairly quiet, does the jobs you require.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

"Karl Townsend" wrote in
k.net:

Can anyone offer some advice?

My dad got one of these for his vacation home:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...ctId=253750-70
-C2002-WK&lpage=none

small, easy to carry, fairly quiet, does the jobs you require.

Karl

I have one that looks very much like that, and would not describe it as
quiet at all.

Works pretty well, though, running the brad nailers and staplers for which
I intended it.

Blowing out the shop means it runs constantly, and that's hearing
protection time for sure.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a number of applications for compressed air, and I've been
wanting to have an unlimited source (vs. cans of Dust Off or similar).

In general, an air compressor is not a cleaning tool. If you insist on
blowing your dust from one place to another, use protection (for your lungs that
is...).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

On Jul 2, 9:16 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Just about anything between the 12-volt kind used to air up tires in an
emergency and the monsters that drive impact wrenches.

- Here's a cheap one which will handle all the tasks you mentioned
(plus air
- up your car tires):
-
- http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95275

I don't know about that $59.99 one from Harbor Fright, but I can tell
you from experience that this $79.99 unit from Harbor Fright sucks:

My neighbor bought it and hates it. The air hose empties the tank so
quickly that you can't even blow out a single computer chassis without
filling the tank 2 -3 times, which takes over 10 minutes to do.

He tried to fill a tire that wasn't flat, just had a slow leak, and he
had to fill the tank twice. It says it's rated at 100 PSI, but once
the gauge got down to about 50 PSI, it did not appear to be putting
any more air in the tire.

Even if it turns itself on while your using it, the output pressure is
so low that it's not worth using. He's ready to chuck it and I told
him to chuck it over the other guy's fence, not mine! I don't want it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 13:55:35 -0700, wrote:

IMO, you don't need a compressor, you need a good shop vac...

I have a reducer kit for mine to vacuum keyboards and cases... you can also use
it on the "blower" port of the vac if you really need to...

We live an area of high dust and sand content and wouldn't dream of blowing it
around the house or shop... it's the shop vac all the way..

In the shop, I use my wife's feather duster with the shop vac close enough to it
to pull the dust up, but not close enough to pull up screws, small parts, etc...

I tried using the compressor once for my display shelves with bowls and stuff on
them.... even with the dust collector and air filter running, all I did was
spread the dust all over the place...

[...]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a number of applications for compressed air, and I've been
wanting to have an unlimited source (vs. cans of Dust Off or similar).

SNIP

How about the little compressors sold for airbrushes?
The one I have had for years isn't very quiet, but then again it's been
hacked on a bit. I think it's good to about 30 psi and about 2 CFM, but
neither at the same time.

This one from HF might do it for you:

Lowe's has a little compressor for inflating stuff for a few bucks less.
Item 223561

Generator Buying Advice mdelfs Home Repair 5 January 18th 07 01:25 PM
Need air compressor advice.....buying new or used............ [email protected] Metalworking 7 May 17th 05 09:43 AM
another quick tip: dusting gizmo Mike W. Woodworking 3 March 11th 05 05:51 PM
Small compressor for cleaning Z UK diy 5 May 4th 04 11:32 AM
Cleaning compressor/condenser/outside unit Stormin Mormon Home Repair 12 September 5th 03 07:43 PM