Posted to rec.woodworking

Default First Dovetails!

I finally got to use my new dovetail jig for a project (Leigh D4R).

I assembled one of seven drawers today! Took me a while to get the hang of
the D4R before I hit my 'real' drawer pieces with the dovetail bit.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Dresser_Project.htm

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stoutman wrote:

| I assembled one of seven drawers today! Took me a while to get the
| hang of the D4R before I hit my 'real' drawer pieces with the
| dovetail bit.

Looks good from here!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

| I assembled one of seven drawers today! Took me a while to get the
| hang of the D4R before I hit my 'real' drawer pieces with the
| dovetail bit.

Looks good from here!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Thanks Morris. I wimped out in the back of the drawer. No dovetails there,
just glue and screws.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 30, 9:46 pm, "Stoutman" .@. wrote:
I finally got to use my new dovetail jig for a project (Leigh D4R).

I assembled one of seven drawers today!

Looks great, Stout.
I can't wait to retire again so I can get at projects like that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
I finally got to use my new dovetail jig for a project (Leigh D4R).

I assembled one of seven drawers today! Took me a while to get the hang
of the D4R before I hit my 'real' drawer pieces with the dovetail bit.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Dresser_Project.htm

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Damn, that's impressive!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 21:46:35 -0400, "Stoutman" .@. wrote:

I finally got to use my new dovetail jig for a project (Leigh D4R).

I assembled one of seven drawers today! Took me a while to get the hang of
the D4R before I hit my 'real' drawer pieces with the dovetail bit.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Dresser_Project.htm

Lookin' very good! Plenty of Stickley stuff is walnut, so your
choice of wood needs no explanation.

When I check out project photos, I always get a kick out of how
similar most of our driveways and front yards look, as well as the
usual presence of some sort of trailer, as we woodworkers have better
uses for the garage. I swear I could pick out the woodworkers in
every neighborhood.

As David E. says, "Every neighborhood has one..." and in ours, each
of us is him. G

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
I finally got to use my new dovetail jig for a project (Leigh D4R).

I assembled one of seven drawers today! Took me a while to get the hang
of the D4R before I hit my 'real' drawer pieces with the dovetail bit.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/Dresser_Project.htm

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

For your first dove tails those look very good. They look very good for
your first 1000. ;~)

I see you decided against the rabbeted DT's. FIY they are just a little
more trouble and are basically cut with the same bit depth settings. You
simply extend the drawer front out a bit farther forward in the jig, the
amount of the rabbet. It does require a bit more calculating but the manual
covers the steps very well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I see you decided against the rabbeted DT's.

Yep. I was actually a little intimidated. I think starting with standard
HBDT's was a wiser move.

FIY they are just a little more trouble and are basically cut with the
same bit depth settings. You simply extend the drawer front out a bit
farther forward in the jig, the amount of the rabbet. It does require a
bit more calculating but the manual covers the steps very well.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Stoutman wrote:
I finally got to use my new dovetail jig for a project (Leigh D4R).

As others said, well done job w/ ensuring jig set up correctly before
practicing on the drawer itself...

Only nit I'd pick would be to use a clamping caul on the front/side of
the drawer instead of resting the clamp face directly on the work...