DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   flexible shafts are breaking too often (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/205037-flexible-shafts-breaking-too-often.html)

whumphrey June 28th 07 05:09 PM

flexible shafts are breaking too often

I have a Foredom and a genric flexible shaft tool. Both are tearing up the
shafts and rubber sheath.
I can't get but a few hours before something breaks.Sometimes the rubber
sheath melts, sometimes the inner shaft snaps.
I have used alot of grease but that doesn't help.Can anybody tell me how to
extend the lifes of these shafts.
Thanks

Andy Dingley June 28th 07 05:23 PM

On 28 Jun, 17:09, "whumphrey" wrote:

Can anybody tell me how to extend the lifes of these shafts.

You're bending them too tight

Nova June 28th 07 05:26 PM

whumphrey wrote:
I have a Foredom and a genric flexible shaft tool. Both are tearing up the
shafts and rubber sheath.
I can't get but a few hours before something breaks.Sometimes the rubber
sheath melts, sometimes the inner shaft snaps.
I have used alot of grease but that doesn't help.Can anybody tell me how to
extend the lifes of these shafts.
Thanks

See items 6 - 10 under "Motor Related Questions" from a link on
Foredom's web site at:

http://www.blackstoneind.com/foundat....asp?page=FAQs

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

[email protected] June 28th 07 05:53 PM

On Jun 28, 9:09 am, "whumphrey" wrote:
I have a Foredom and a genric flexible shaft tool. Both are tearing up the
shafts and rubber sheath.
I can't get but a few hours before something breaks.Sometimes the rubber
sheath melts, sometimes the inner shaft snaps.
I have used alot of grease but that doesn't help.Can anybody tell me how to
extend the lifes of these shafts.
Thanks

if you're tearing them up that fast you should switch to a heavier
duty machine. try a die grinder.