Posted to rec.woodworking

Default chain smoker & furniture residues problem

Friend is rehabbing his late mother's house, who smoked like a
chimney. No, better make that a smokestack. The walls are yellow
from the smoke, coats and coats of kilz (even premium) haven't been
enough to hide it.

So, what do you do to clean up the nice wood furniture that resided in
this sort of environment?

There's a few pieces that my friend would like to salvage if possible,
but is at a loss as to how to clean them up.

Suggestions?

Thanx
Renata
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Renata" wrote in message
Friend is rehabbing his late mother's house, who smoked like a
chimney. No, better make that a smokestack. The walls are yellow
from the smoke, coats and coats of kilz (even premium) haven't been
enough to hide it.

So, what do you do to clean up the nice wood furniture that resided in
this sort of environment?

There's a few pieces that my friend would like to salvage if possible,
but is at a loss as to how to clean them up.

Suggestions?

Thanx
Renata

Oddly, Kilz does not always cover every thing up. About 6 years ago a
friend and I took on a similar job. One double master vanity sink was
literally half full of cigarette ashes with burn marks all around the
perimeter of the bowl. All trim was yellow from the smoke and the walls
were yellow. Add to that the AC filter was completely plugged, NO air
movement through the vent until we removed the filter. Add that she was an
alcoholic and carpet stains that were so bad that you would swear that there
was at least one fatality by gun shot. We simply hated to even walk into
the house. Fortunately she had moved out and we left the windows open.

We however had no problem covering the stains on the walls and trim. No
primer needed but we did use a premium oil based alkyd paint on the trim and
a premium latex on the walls. We did however often have to reapply a second
coat to the walls a couple of days later. 3 weeks later the house looked
much better. The house did not smell better until the carpet was removed
and replaced.

Posted to rec.woodworking

So, what do you do to clean up the nice wood furniture that resided in
this sort of environment?

There's a few pieces that my friend would like to salvage if possible,
but is at a loss as to how to clean them up.

Try gently wiping the pieces down with a clean rag with a bit of
solvent and a stiff paint brush in the crannies to lift the oils/tars.
Then wipe down with a damp cloth and dish soap to remove the solvent
and then rinse with a clean watered cloth. Alcohol on another rag to
remove any soap residue (assumes the finish is not shellac).

Pete
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message ...

So, what do you do to clean up the nice wood furniture that resided in
this sort of environment?

There's a few pieces that my friend would like to salvage if possible,
but is at a loss as to how to clean them up.

Try gently wiping the pieces down with a clean rag with a bit of
solvent and a stiff paint brush in the crannies to lift the oils/tars.
Then wipe down with a damp cloth and dish soap to remove the solvent
and then rinse with a clean watered cloth. Alcohol on another rag to
remove any soap residue (assumes the finish is not shellac).

Pete

"So, what do you do to clean up the nice wood furniture that resided in
this sort of environment?"

In answer to the above, wiping down with a clean watered cloth and soft will
not do it.
The smoke, at this time, is probably imbedded in the furniture's finish and
pores of the wood.
Time, may take care of the smell. However if it was me doing the job I
would refinish the furniture.
I would use the traditional scrapping and sanding method.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"I would use the traditional scrapping and sanding method."

However, if you're going to scrap the furniture, why bother to sand
it?

; )

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
"I would use the traditional scrapping and sanding method."

However, if you're going to scrap the furniture, why bother to sand
it?

; )

If the furniture is not worth it why spent time and money to refurbish it.
You may have to pay to dispose of it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

In answer to the above, wiping down with a clean watered cloth and soft will
not do it.
The smoke, at this time, is probably imbedded in the furniture's finish and
pores of the wood.
Time, may take care of the smell. However if it was me doing the job I
would refinish the furniture.
I would use the traditional scrapping and sanding method.

Did you even bother to read the post? Or are you just shooting from
the lip (I mean hip)

Pete
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 26, 9:01 am, Renata wrote:
Friend is rehabbing his late mother's house, who smoked like a
chimney. No, better make that a smokestack. The walls are yellow
from the smoke, coats and coats of kilz (even premium) haven't been
enough to hide it.

So, what do you do to clean up the nice wood furniture that resided in
this sort of environment?

There's a few pieces that my friend would like to salvage if possible,
but is at a loss as to how to clean them up.

Suggestions?

Thanx
Renata

Hot water and amonia will clean the walls and probably the furniture
as well. No idea what amonia will do to the finish on the furniture
but SWMBO uses it every weeek on our hardwood floros with no ill
effects.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I highly recommend Murphy's Oil Soap. Had a similar issue with a secretary
my wife received from her grandparents ... her father thought we'd
refinished it when all we did was clean it with Murphy's. This is a
reproduction built in the 1920s and it's getting to be an antique in its own
right, so refinishing was certainly not in order.

HTH,

Rick

"Renata" wrote

Friend is rehabbing his late mother's house, who smoked like a
chimney. No, better make that a smokestack. The walls are yellow
from the smoke, coats and coats of kilz (even premium) haven't been
enough to hide it.

So, what do you do to clean up the nice wood furniture that resided in
this sort of environment?

There's a few pieces that my friend would like to salvage if possible,
but is at a loss as to how to clean them up.

Suggestions?

Thanx
Renata

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 09:01:59 -0400, Renata
wrote:

Friend is rehabbing his late mother's house, who smoked like a
chimney. No, better make that a smokestack. The walls are yellow
from the smoke, coats and coats of kilz (even premium) haven't been
enough to hide it.

So, what do you do to clean up the nice wood furniture that resided in
this sort of environment?

There's a few pieces that my friend would like to salvage if possible,
but is at a loss as to how to clean them up.

Suggestions?

Thanx
Renata

Mineral spirits and lots of elbow grease, then polish it with a
quality furniture wax. You could use Briwax, a mix of cleaners and
wax, comes in several colors and neutral.