Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? CLXXV

Set 175 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 04:28:25 -0400, "R.H." wrote:

Set 175 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Not sure what your 1015 has been used for, possibly had a small rope
running through it. Tent line tensioning perhaps?

We use something almost identical at my work for an entirely different
purpose. Would you like me to send you a picture and description?
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1015. Is for rounding over the edge off of a wooden board. I tried
looking it up but don't remember the name.
Karl

On Jun 20, 10:28 pm, "R.H." wrote:
Set 175 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

and again my silly guesses...

1013 electronic key
1014 scraper for cleaning surfaces, e.g. after removing glued rug (geklebten
teppich)
1015 maybee used for mounting bicycle tires
1016 hmmm, for closing, hmmm, tin cans?
1017 my first thought was ... astrolabe ... but this looks different ...
yep, must be a armillary sphere
1018 the pliers at the end can be adjusted, hmmm, itchy and scratchy stuff?
(no idea)

greetings from germany
chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
Set 175 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1013 "Dallas Key" used to log in automatically - I use these with
retraunt POS systems every day.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1014. Stair Saw or Stairbuilder's Saw - For cutting slots in stringers
--- It's adjustable for depth of cut.

1015. Don't know the name, but I have one. -- used for rounding over
the edges of a board.

1017. Spherical Astrolabe or Armilary Sphere ("armilary" from the
Latin "armilla", bracelet)

Joel

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 21 Jun, 09:28, "R.H." wrote:
Set 175 has just been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1013 Dallas iButton, electronic dongle or "key"

1014 Blind saw, used for all sorts of groove-cutting or even
veneering purposes in confined spaces. Exactly who used it would
depend on how big it is and how the teeth are sharpened (rip or knife)

1015 That rare beast, a bad tool from Veritas. Supposedly for
rounding the edges of woodwork, but it's a poor way to do it.

1016 Obviously a press, and a pretty big one at that. I'd guess it's
for packing some sort of bale or container, squeezing more packages
into the top of it.

1017 Armillary sphere. It's a globe of the Earth, mounted in a
representation of the heavens. Don't recognise what's special about
the earlier one - Ptolemaic ?

1018 Adjustable C spanner, probably for big pipe fittings.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Jun 21, 4:28 am, "R.H." wrote:

1013. Electronic key. Based on that gray background piece, I'm
guessing it's for some electronic sports/exercise equipment.
1014. Stairbuilder's saw
1015. That's a Stanley 29 cornering tool in the picture. Contrary to
Andy's view, I like my Veritas set. If it's kept sharp it works
fine. It won't replace a router, but I use it in all sorts of
situations. It takes a bit of practice to learn how to run the tool
and reverse the direction according to the grain, but it's fast and
fits in an apron. I certainly like it better than that radi-plane
thing! If you ever do outdoor projects with Azek or similar expanded
PVC wood substitute, try the cornering tool. On that stuff - with no
grain - it works great. Particularly useful for creating uniform
lamb's tongues.
1016. Pretty sure that's what my Mom used to get Brussel sprouts into
me.
1017. Armillary sphere. Wouldn't have known that if not for last
week's celestial apparati.
1018. {Deductive powers engaged} Similar to a peavey, but too short,
ratcheting mechanism to preserve levering gains, turn of the 20th
century casting, rounded jaws...I'm guessing a tool to install hard
rubber tires on wagons or early cars with wooden wheels.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

#1013 is a Dallas Semiconductor "I Button"

#1015 is some hind of edge rounding or deburring tool

#1016 is clearly a press of some sort. looks like it's intended to press
something in a barrel.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

#1013 is a segway key (black is slowest speed, IIRC).
#1014 is a veneer saw
#1015 is a cornering tool
#1016 for sealing jars?

scott

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , R.H.
wrote:

Set 175 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1014: Dado saw
1015: Paint can opener
1017: Mechanical star map (the real name escapes me...)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1013: Tiikku key, hold it on the sensor and it lets you into Finnish
shipyards

1014: Saw, or rasp (can't tell from just a side view) with adjustable
depth stop.

1015: We call them 'spoons' Used for turning the sharp corner on a
board into a bunch of gouges connected by splinters.

1016: Big spring compressor?

1018: Load binder, or tarp tensioner?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Christian Stüben" wrote in message
and again my silly guesses...

1013 electronic key
1014 scraper for cleaning surfaces, e.g. after removing glued rug
(geklebten teppich)
1015 maybee used for mounting bicycle tires
1016 hmmm, for closing, hmmm, tin cans?

The 2 legs are different lengths. It looks like an oversized valve spring
compressor.

1017 my first thought was ... astrolabe ... but this looks different ...
yep, must be a armillary sphere
1018 the pliers at the end can be adjusted, hmmm, itchy and scratchy
stuff? (no idea)

greetings from germany
chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to R.H. :
Set 175 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

1013) It appears to be associated with something like a bullet-proof
vest, so it may be something like pain-killer pills inside. I
would like to see the side view, to know whether it unscrews or
not.

1014) A saw designed for cutting a groove to a preset depth, perhaps
for glass to slide in as sliding fronts to a display case.

1015) This is designed to round the corner of something made of wood.

The handle is mostly parallel to the edge being rounded, at an
elevation angle of perhaps 15-30 degrees, and with the rounded
curve down towards the edge, with the edge falling into the
elliptical hole. The two ends cut different radiuses of
rounding.

1016) This looks like a tool for seating the end (lid) into a wooden
barrel.

The hooks fit under the bottom end of the barrel.

1017a) Another version of sundial, perhaps with navigational functions
included.

1017b) This one seems to include a model of the world as perceived by
those who made it at that time (pre Columbus).

1017c) Perhaps for mapping star and constellation locations? It looks
as though there is a ponter to the right which should point
North?

1018) Hmm ... a can opener on steroids? Perhaps for opening steel
drums?

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

P.S. It looks as though we are approaching another of the triple-X
subject lines, so I guess that we'll have to go back to Arabic
numerals until that is past. :-)
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
Set 175 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Item #1015: Corner rounding tool for woodworking.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

hi mike,

"Mike Dobony" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
et...
"Christian Stüben" wrote in message
1016 hmmm, for closing, hmmm, tin cans?

The 2 legs are different lengths. It looks like an oversized valve spring
compressor.

hmmm, is there anybody who said that the tin can must be symmetrically
formed? definitely nobody!

;-) yep, you´re right, 1016 does´nt look symmetrically formed

greetings from germany
chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Jun 21, 9:32 pm, "Mike Dobony" wrote:
"Christian Stüben" wrote in message
1016 hmmm, for closing, hmmm, tin cans?

The 2 legs are different lengths. It looks like an oversized valve spring
compressor.

From the shadow you can see that one leg/arm/appendage is raised above

the paper more than the other, and the grid on the paper indicates
that it is too close to call. You might call it, not sure if I'd hang
my hat on it, though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 21, 9:32 pm, "Mike Dobony" wrote:
"Christian Stüben" wrote in message
1016 hmmm, for closing, hmmm, tin cans?

The 2 legs are different lengths. It looks like an oversized valve spring
compressor.

From the shadow you can see that one leg/arm/appendage is raised above

the paper more than the other, and the grid on the paper indicates
that it is too close to call. You might call it, not sure if I'd hang
my hat on it, though.

Yes, the two parts are supposed to be the same length, but don't look like
it because the one is raised a little and the camera was not directly over
the center of the tool.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1018. ...I'm guessing a tool to install hard
rubber tires on wagons or early cars with wooden wheels.

This guess is not correct but it's in the right ballpark. It will be at
least a few more hours until I have time to post the answers.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

P.S. It looks as though we are approaching another of the triple-X
subject lines, so I guess that we'll have to go back to Arabic
numerals until that is past. :-)

Thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten about that. I'll probably just
skip ahead to 190 since the set numbers aren't really important.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"William Bagwell" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 04:28:25 -0400, "R.H." wrote:

Set 175 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Not sure what your 1015 has been used for, possibly had a small rope
running through it. Tent line tensioning perhaps?

We use something almost identical at my work for an entirely different
purpose. Would you like me to send you a picture and description?

I'd be interested to see your work tool, please send the photo to my gmail
account, it can be found by clicking on my profile on the upper right of my
site.

Thanks,
Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

All but the last one have been answered correctly this week:

http://pzphotosan174-xt.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 11:58:11 -0400, "R.H." wrote:

"William Bagwell" wrote in message
.. .

Not sure what your 1015 has been used for, possibly had a small rope
running through it. Tent line tensioning perhaps?

We use something almost identical at my work for an entirely different
purpose. Would you like me to send you a picture and description?

I'd be interested to see your work tool, please send the photo to my gmail
account, it can be found by clicking on my profile on the upper right of my
site.

Will try to get a few photos sent this weekend.

Consensuses is that this tool was originally intended for wood. Still
curious what use (or abuse) the one pictured this week has seen. Don't
see how it could ever get that *dull* being used as a corner rounder. I
know wood can be abrasive, but I would have thrown it away long before
it got that bad. Assuming re-sharpening was not possible, which it is.
And quite simple too.

BTW one of the comments on your blog gave the exact same use I was
thinking - plastics. And I can attest to there effectiveness.
--
William
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Jun 22, 4:34 pm, "R.H." wrote:
All but the last one have been answered correctly this week:

http://pzphotosan174-xt.blogspot.com/

Hey Rob. The wheel tool drawing looks odd. It appears that the tool
is reversed. The ratchet mechanism wouldn't engage as drawn if the
levering force was downwards. You're trying to pull the upper spoke
downwards, right? Am I missing something?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 23:50:56 GMT, Me, myself and I wrote:

Consensuses is that this tool was originally intended for wood. Still
curious what use (or abuse) the one pictured this week has seen. Don't
see how it could ever get that *dull* being used as a corner rounder. I
know wood can be abrasive, but I would have thrown it away long before
it got that bad. Assuming re-sharpening was not possible, which it is.
And quite simple too.

Just did a Google image search for "cornering tool" and the Veritas, Lee
Valley, and an antique Stanley I found on the first few pages are all
ground a bit differently than the ones I have used. Would also make them
slightly harder to re-sharpen. And may explain some, but not all, of
what looks like extreme wear in your photo.
--
William

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Set 175 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1013: Electronic key. Works in an electronic lock which has a keyhole
that looks like an oversized watch battery holder, and usually activates
a magnetic strike.

1014: Saw for cutting variable-depth slots into wood.

1015: Perhaps a nail-puller. Wouldn't be very effective as one though.

1016: For removing the cardboard box from obscenely-tightly
styrofoam-packed items. (OK, perhaps not, but I think it's a press
for removing the outer covering of something)

1017: The Daily Planet :-). They're all spherical astrolabes. The
third one might be a sun-centered one.

result in a fully-depreciated one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

William Bagwell writes:

Consensuses is that this tool was originally intended for wood. Still
curious what use (or abuse) the one pictured this week has seen. Don't
see how it could ever get that *dull* being used as a corner rounder. I

It got that dull by some yahoo using a drill-mounted wire wheel to
strip rust from it. Note the pitting.

I think this predates any Lee Valley offering by some time.

scott
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 22, 4:34 pm, "R.H." wrote:
All but the last one have been answered correctly this week:

http://pzphotosan174-xt.blogspot.com/

Hey Rob. The wheel tool drawing looks odd. It appears that the tool
is reversed. The ratchet mechanism wouldn't engage as drawn if the
levering force was downwards. You're trying to pull the upper spoke
downwards, right? Am I missing something?

I agree that it wouldn't work if the handle was forced down, but I think
that the idea is to pull the handle up with the tool pivoting around the
lower spoke. The upper part of the tool then rotates counterclockwise,
forcing the spoke down. I tried it with some pieces of wood and it worked
well.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Jun 22, 9:53 pm, "R.H." wrote:

I agree that it wouldn't work if the handle was forced down, but I think
that the idea is to pull the handle up with the tool pivoting around the
lower spoke. The upper part of the tool then rotates counterclockwise,
forcing the spoke down. I tried it with some pieces of wood and it worked
well.

Okay, that makes more sense. The handle is dropped to move the
ratchet/pawl to engage in a notch, then lifted up to lever the spoke.
Gotchya. Thanks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Now that you've put up the answers I remember seeing the spoke dog in
a book. I was trying to imagine everything but that.
Thanks as always
Karl

On Jun 22, 10:34 am, "R.H." wrote:
All but the last one have been answered correctly this week:

http://pzphotosan174-xt.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 04:28:25 -0400, R.H. wrote:

Set 175 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Dang! I guessed right on the 1017's, albeit by function, if not by name
(I guessed "celestial globe" or "a globe of the heavens"), and here I find
out that I'm a whole week late! Damn work! (The curse of the drinking
class.) ;-)

Cheers!
Rich