Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Apparently It Pays To Specialize

http://www.advantagebridal.com/pewhwoba.html

Looks like I should be targeting weddings. Apparently a
bride-to-be is willing to spend big pucks on trifles. But Gods above,
I'd feel ahamed of myself, asking a price like that for something lke
that. I know for sure I wouldn't be willing to pay anywhere near that
much fo one myself.

JOAT
If a man does his best, what else is there?
- General George S. Patton

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
Looks like I should be targeting weddings. Apparently a
bride-to-be is willing to spend big pucks on trifles. But Gods above,
I'd feel ahamed of myself, asking a price like that for something lke
that. I know for sure I wouldn't be willing to pay anywhere near that
much fo one myself.

Of course, but building them is knowledge and skill you might have that
someone else does not have, or just isn't interested in acquiring. I felt
the same way at first when my name was recommended to a local actor who
wants his website updated. It was originally done by a former girlfriend and
was so poorly done that I felt a little guilty quoting him a price to fix it
up for him. Then I saw all the little money making schemes he was involved
in and the profit he was making from them that any guilt I had vaporized.
So, I'll be happy to take his money and I'll do a good job for him. It's all
relative.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Looks like I should be targeting weddings. Apparently a
bride-to-be is willing to spend big pucks on trifles.

Absolutely - when you say the word 'wedding' I'm convinced the price
jumps, for identical goods or services. If you're just having a
"party" catered, and not a "reception", your food, decorations, and
entertainment would be cheaper. So why not wooden containers,
furniture, etc? Of course, then everything would have to be painted
white. I couldn't paint over nice wood, and you'd have to switch from
yellow. Oh, well.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 20, 11:57 am, Andy wrote:
Looks like I should be targeting weddings. Apparently a
bride-to-be is willing to spend big pucks on trifles.

Absolutely - when you say the word 'wedding' I'm convinced the price
jumps, for identical goods or services. If you're just having a
"party" catered, and not a "reception", your food, decorations, and
entertainment would be cheaper. So why not wooden containers,
furniture, etc? Of course, then everything would have to be painted
white. I couldn't paint over nice wood, and you'd have to switch from
yellow. Oh, well.
Andy

When I got married in 2002 I wanted to make our own favors. Partly
because of the challenge, but mainly because I wanted it to be unique
and I wanted to contribute.
I saw some aluminum containers with glass lids in a wedding magazine
my soon-to-be-wife showed me, and I determined that I was going to get
some for the party favors.
I went to the magazine's website and they wanted $15 for 8 of them.
Thinking that was a bit much for what I was getting I did some
hunting, and found the exact same things for sale at a hardware store
site for less than $6 a dozen.
There was enough money left over to buy some glass etching cream and I
cut out nautical vinyl shapes and etched them into the tops. We filled
those suckers up with Easter M&Ms (because they're pastel) and for
less than $100 we had enough party favors for all our guests to have
one, and we had a dozen or so to spare for my toolbox. :-)

I despise the wedding racket. It's worse than the baby racket. If I
have a daughter I don't know what I'm going to do.

-Nathan

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 04:07:04 -0400, (J T)
wrote:

http://www.advantagebridal.com/pewhwoba.html

Looks like I should be targeting weddings. Apparently a
bride-to-be is willing to spend big pucks on trifles. But Gods above,
I'd feel ahamed of myself, asking a price like that for something lke
that. I know for sure I wouldn't be willing to pay anywhere near that
much fo one myself.

Well I did a wedding cake topper for my sister's wedding. A moon with
a celtic knot pattern in it. Of course I didn't charge them for it.
I did charge them for making me stain it "Deep Ocean" blue though. I
still have 99.999% of the quart of stain if anyone would like to make
something very blue.

I'm sure there's a market for wedding related stuff, it's just getting
the contacts to find the clients if you were so inclined.

And ya know, I probably would charge more for a wedding. It's GOT to
be done on time. That can mean making extra parts because if you
screw up you don't have the luxury of backtracking. But if they gave
me plenty of time to do it then I wouldn't charge more, but I'd charge
more than for an "ordinary" rush order. I just did a jewelry box that
was a wedding present from husband to bride. He gave me a whole two
weeks notice. It was there the day before the wedding, shipped
overnight. Nobody signed for it until the next week... Not my
problem.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 20, 3:07 am, (J T) wrote:
http://www.advantagebridal.com/pewhwoba.html

Looks like I should be targeting weddings. Apparently a
bride-to-be is willing to spend big pucks on trifles. But Gods above,
I'd feel ahamed of myself, asking a price like that for something lke
that. I know for sure I wouldn't be willing to pay anywhere near that
much fo one myself.

JOAT
If a man does his best, what else is there?
- General George S. Patton

What I want to know, why were you spending time on that website? (G)

Posted to rec.woodworking

N Hurst wrote:

On Jun 20, 11:57 am, Andy wrote:
[...]

Show her beau where you keep the ladder and encourage them to elope.

Peter

www.the-brights.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

--
Add my middle initial to email me. It has become attached to a countrywww.the-brights.net

I have actually known fathers that have offered the 20-30k they were
going to spend on the wedding to the couple to use as a down payment
on a house; and have them say no, rather have a wedding. Man, the
foolishness of youth.

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

jtpr wrote in
ups.com:

snip

I have actually known fathers that have offered the 20-30k they were
going to spend on the wedding to the couple to use as a down payment
on a house; and have them say no, rather have a wedding. Man, the
foolishness of youth.

-Jim

And I have known fathers that simply said they wouldn't put up with that
kind of extravagence, even if they could afford it.

But I am the father of sons, and the father-in-law of frugal daughters-in-
law.

Thank goodness!

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

Patriarch wrote:

And I have known fathers that simply said they wouldn't put up with

that
kind of extravagence, even if they could afford it.

When my daughter was going to get married, wrote a check for what I
could afford, and suggested it be spent as they saw fit, but there was
no more available.

Seemed to work.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Apparently It Pays To Specialize Is this a gloat?

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Patriarch wrote:

And I have known fathers that simply said they wouldn't put up with that
kind of extravagence, even if they could afford it.

When my daughter was going to get married, wrote a check for what I
could afford, and suggested it be spent as they saw fit, but there was
no more available.

Seemed to work.

I hear you Lew! Daughter and son-in-law married while finishing grad
school - he a DDS and she a PhD in BioChem. They married over the hill
and far away (Twin Cities) from both families.

We told our daughter we'd foot the bill for whatever they wanted. Had a
nice ceremony at their alma mater in Northfield, MN and a reception at a
grand mansion just down the street from St Paul's Cathedral in St Paul.
Gorgeous place, great food, etc. They arranged everything, all we had
to do was show up and write the checks. They were happy, all our
friends that attended were raving about the venue, etc.

They did wonders on an unlimited budget. Cost us less than what I'd
been asked to pay recently for my father's 90th birthday celebration at
a local VFW hall. Photographer? Wedding shots (complete package),
reception (also complete package) with 2 full sets of prints, adequate
number of enlargements and.... Tadaaa! Complete set of negatives.
$600! And they were great photos!

Bartender at the reception cost me $35 for four hours! Kids only wanted
beer and wine (we purchased and mansion provided the service for the
aforementioned $35 - no corkage fee.)

Great feeling to not only have a great celebration done right but on a
budget imposed by the kids, not us. Makes you feel like or rather
confirms that the parents dis something right.

Oh, and yeah, super gloat here. They are giving us our first grandchild
this August, almost three years to the day after the weddingg

Posted to rec.woodworking

John wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 15:02:57 GMT, (Peter
Ashby) wrote:

N Hurst wrote:

On Jun 20, 11:57 am, Andy wrote:
Looks like I should be targeting weddings. Apparently a
bride-to-be is willing to spend big pucks on trifles.

I despise the wedding racket. It's worse than the baby racket. If I
have a daughter I don't know what I'm going to do.

Show her beau where you keep the ladder and encourage them to elope.

Peter

Tried it with both daughters. Even offered cash in lieu of the
wedding. Didn't work either time. I even wound up in costume - not a
tux, a costume - for the second one (I made the web page, so I
censored that picture).

Links for the brave:

http://www.jecarter.com/personal/wedding.html

http://www.jecarter.com/personal/fotb2.html

Hmm, reminds me. Seeing as how I was born in Scotland, wife has ancestry
and we are currently here, SWMBO has ordained that yours truly will bear
his knees in a kilt should either of the daughters get hitched. Been 30
years since I last wore a kilt. Mind you I do have the legs for it...

Peter

www.the-brights.net
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Wed, Jun 20, 2007, 7:34pm (EDT+4) (N*Hurst)
snip I went to the magazine's website and they wanted $15 for 8 of
them.sip for less than $100 we had enough party favors for all our
guests to have one, snip

When my older son got married about 9 years bck, they have at least
the wedding party money clips, engraved with each person's initial. I
know it ddn't cost much, but it's USEFUL, and I still use it daily. ff
I'd gotten something like one oftose tacky overpried woden banks, it'd
either be tossed already, or stuck away womewhere, for sure not being
used.

I kinda doubt those banks have even a dollar in materials, probably
closer o fifty cens. If you dont oount time for glue and paint to dry,
it probably doesn't take even 5 minute to cut nd assemble one. Hell, if
I want commercial wooden banks I can find a lot more interesting banks
that that, for about the same price. I've got to go over my figres
again, found come cost cuts lately, but I figure at the max, my own
banks hanks have probably no more ta $2.50 in materials, just now I'm
thinking a price somwhere in the $12.50 to $20 range will make them
worthwile producing. They'll take a bit longer to cut ut and assemble
than those overpriced "wedding" banks, and to pant, but I kinda discount
the painting because that's more relasing hen a chore. The only way I'd
charg more than a top of $20 each is if I got orders fo a load of them -
I don't "need" th money, altho extra is always nice, but I need
full-time work even less.

JOAT
If a man does his best, what else is there?
- General George S. Patton

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Wed, Jun 20, 2007, 6:58pm (EDT-1) (Leuf)doth
sayeth:
Well I did a wedding cake topper for my sister's wedding. A moon with a
celtic knot pattern in it. Of course I didn't charge them for it. I did
charge them for making me stain it "Deep Ocean" blue though. I still
have 99.999% of the quart of stain if anyone would like to make
something very blue.
snip It was there the day before the wedding, shipped overnight.
Nobody signed for it until the next week... Not my problem.

Yeah, that's a problem. Can't hardly charge a relative for
something like that. In experimenting I found if you thin latex paint
way down, maybe 75% water, it makes a decent stain. The nice part is
you can make custom colors. I'm still trying it, but so far it's
working out very nicely.

Reminds me of my ordering a jello jelly bean, and a jello egg mold,
an easter ago for the grand-dau. They "promised" it would be here by
easter. However. If you don't know it already you'll eventually find
out, almost everthing has a however. They neglected to tell me they
were sending it by UPS, instead of by mal. And, of course, I only gave
them my post office box. So, it would actualy have been delivered in
time for easter, IF they'd seen fit to get my street address. I finally
found out what had been don'e, got ahold of UPS, and gave them my street
address, and received it the next day. What is really stupid is, it
would have cost less to mail the damn package, plus being faster.

JOAT
If a man does his best, what else is there?
- General George S. Patton

Posted to rec.woodworking

Peter Ashby wrote:

Hmm, reminds me. Seeing as how I was born in Scotland, wife has ancestry
and we are currently here, SWMBO has ordained that yours truly will bear
his knees in a kilt should either of the daughters get hitched. Been 30
years since I last wore a kilt. Mind you I do have the legs for it...

Peter

As father of the groom at my sons wedding, I ended up in a kilt on a
cold October day in Wisconsin.

First time. Not bad. I'm saving to buy a kilt in one of the family
plaids. (I got stuck with a rented kilt belonging to an afflicted clan.)

Bill

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000751-4, 06/23/2007
Tested on: 6/24/2007 12:19:07 AM

Posted to rec.woodworking

BillinDetroit wrote:

Peter Ashby wrote:

Hmm, reminds me. Seeing as how I was born in Scotland, wife has ancestry
and we are currently here, SWMBO has ordained that yours truly will bear
his knees in a kilt should either of the daughters get hitched. Been 30
years since I last wore a kilt. Mind you I do have the legs for it...

Peter

As father of the groom at my sons wedding, I ended up in a kilt on a
cold October day in Wisconsin.

First time. Not bad. I'm saving to buy a kilt in one of the family
plaids. (I got stuck with a rented kilt belonging to an afflicted clan.)

My problem is I have a whole slew of possible tartans, none with much
primacy. I might just line up the possibles and choose on colour.

Peter
www.the-brights.net