DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   [OT] I'm celebrating! (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/204144-%5Bot%5D-im-celebrating.html)

J T June 21st 07 04:07 PM

[OT] I'm celebrating!

Thu, Jun 21, 2007, 6:35am (EDT-1) (Morris*Dovey) doth
sayeth:
Thanks! I'm hoping to need a bit more cargo capacity than the Solar21
provides. g
IMO, that was a gutsy crossing. Even with two hulls, a 10m boat seems
pretty small for a trip like that (although I once met a guy who did a
solo crossing in the other direction in a 17' sailboat).

I've got plans for a Viking longship stuck away smewhere, just let
me know.

JOAT
If a man does his best, what else is there?
- General George S. Patton

Lew Hodgett June 21st 07 07:27 PM

[OT] I'm celebrating!

Morris Dovey wrote:

IMO, that was a gutsy crossing. Even with two hulls, a 10m boat seems
pretty small for a trip like that (although I once met a guy who did a
solo crossing in the other direction in a 17' sailboat).

A 10M, monohull for crossing the Atlantic can almost be considered
humongous.

While not the smallest by any means, back in the 60s, Robert Manry, a
newspaper guy from Cleveland, built and then sailed Tinkerbelle, which
was about 14 ft, across the Atlantic.

Years later, understand Manry's son helped rescue Tinkerbelle from the
junk yard and donated her to the Western Reserve Historical Society
where she has been restored.

Lew

Father Haskell June 21st 07 08:45 PM

I'm celebrating!

On Jun 20, 6:01 pm, (Scott Lurndal) wrote:
"Morris Dovey" writes:
Father Haskell wrote:

| Here's to telling OPEC to go f--- itself. Cheers.

Let's hold off on that one until we don't need their oil any longer -
and then let's not forget which members of OPEC have been willing to
act in /our/ best interests.

I'm willing to bet that as we replace petroleum as a source of energy,
we'll find new (and possibly better) uses than just burning it.

You mean like a feedstock for the chemical and plastics industries?

I thought we were going to use hemp for that.

Father Haskell June 21st 07 08:48 PM

I'm celebrating!

On Jun 19, 8:09 pm, "Morris Dovey" wrote:
Father Haskell wrote:

| Here's to telling OPEC to go f--- itself. Cheers.

Let's hold off on that one until we don't need their oil any longer -
and then let's not forget which members of OPEC have been willing to
act in /our/ best interests.

I'm willing to bet that as we replace petroleum as a source of energy,
we'll find new (and possibly better) uses than just burning it.

Petroleum based oils are the best bike lube, since they don't gum
up.
What'll we need, 1 pint per bike every 3 years?

Morris Dovey June 21st 07 11:26 PM

I'm celebrating!

Father Haskell wrote:
| On Jun 19, 8:09 pm, "Morris Dovey" wrote:

|| I'm willing to bet that as we replace petroleum as a source of
|| energy, we'll find new (and possibly better) uses than just
|| burning it.
|
| Petroleum based oils are the best bike lube, since they don't gum
| up.
| What'll we need, 1 pint per bike every 3 years?

I dunno (maybe) - how about lifetime lube for replacement knees, hips,
elbows, fingers, ...?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

John B July 1st 07 10:22 AM

[OT] I'm celebrating!

Morris Dovey wrote:
Neither gloat nor neener, exactly - but a milestone for my shop. Today
I loaded a pallet with three of my passive solar air-heating panels
and sent my first out-of-state order off to warm a home in Oklahoma
for the next couple of decades.

I'm reasonably certain that at some point in the future today's
excitement will strike me as being silly - but that won't happen for a
while.

The semi driver seemed to get a kick out of the fact that I'd never
shipped anything by truck before and that he was part of a /first/ of
something - and he was tickled by the too-pretty pallet assembled with
precisely-spaced and counterbored square-drive washerheads.

As he climbed into the cab he grinned and said: "Have 'em there in two
days! See ya next time..."

Poetry!

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

G'day Morris,
Have been pretty close to the place you're in ;)
I have sold plenty of my toys and other stuff locally, but when I me a
real buzz.
A bigger boost was when a lady came back to me saying that her niece
really loved the dolls cradle and it was definitely the only one in Norway.
Keep on keeping on mate

regards
John