Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Porch roof framing breakdown

I am planning a porch roof cover & got a sketch from a friend.

what's the easiest way(make that cheap) to estimate lumber needed
for this project ?
Is there software to do this, where I would feed in the dimensions
and the software would break down the lumber sizes/ammounts needed ?

Thanks,
Smitty

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am planning a porch roof cover & got a sketch from a friend.

what's the easiest way(make that cheap) to estimate lumber needed
for this project ?
Is there software to do this, where I would feed in the dimensions
and the software would break down the lumber sizes/ammounts needed ?

Thanks,
Smitty

Do it like they did in the old days, before computers. Scale the drawing,
measure each piece, and add it up!
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 17, 6:48 pm, "Greg O" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...I am planning a porch roof cover & got a sketch from a friend.

what's the easiest way(make that cheap) to estimate lumber needed
for this project ?
Is there software to do this, where I would feed in the dimensions
and the software would break down the lumber sizes/ammounts needed ?

Thanks,
Smitty

Do it like they did in the old days, before computers. Scale the drawing,
measure each piece, and add it up!
Greg

ditto. Order more than necessary, always. Sometimes the big box will
take back boards you don't use for a full refund.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 17, 7:00 pm, " wrote:
I am planning a porch roof cover & got a sketch from a friend.

what's the easiest way(make that cheap) to estimate lumber needed
for this project ?
Is there software to do this, where I would feed in the dimensions
and the software would break down the lumber sizes/ammounts needed ?

Bring the drawings to your local building supply yard. They'll do a
material takeoff for free.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sorry. . . I neglected to mention that the friend just did a floor
plan
of the porch slab . That is. . .I don't have drawings. That's why I
was asking
if there is a software program that will make a drawing after giving
floor
area and elevation measurements. I'm trying to save the money I
would spend on drawings by an architect and spend it on materials.
I could send an attachment of the sketch, but don't know how .

Thanks to all for you input (so far !)
Smitty

Bring the drawings to your local building supply yard. They'll do a
material takeoff for free.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 17, 10:51 pm, " wrote:
Sorry. . . I neglected to mention that the friend just did a floor
plan
of the porch slab . That is. . .I don't have drawings. That's why I
was asking
if there is a software program that will make a drawing after giving
floor
area and elevation measurements. I'm trying to save the money I
would spend on drawings by an architect and spend it on materials.
I could send an attachment of the sketch, but don't know how .

Thanks to all for you input (so far !)
Smitty

Bring the drawings to your local building supply yard. They'll do a
material takeoff for free.

Unless you're very familiar with construction, winging it is a sure
way to spend more money on an inferior result. If you can't draw it,
it's doubtful you can build it. It doesn't have to be architect
pretty. Get some graph paper from an office supply store and draw it
to scale. Use a pencil.