Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? CLXXIII

As mentioned on my site, I'm travelling next week so I'll be posting on
Wednesday instead of the usual Thursday.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1001: Lightning creator ?
1002: Gear puller
1003: Some kind of sphere thrower.
1004: Snake loop for catching or handling snakes.
1005: Gopher killer
1006: ????????
"R.H." wrote in message
As mentioned on my site, I'm travelling next
week so I'll be posting on
Wednesday instead of the usual Thursday.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1001 Tesla Coil...
Air-core step-up transformer. Excited by high frequency (high compared to
power frequency). Primary has a few turns. Secondary is a long
single-layer solenoid (so the insulation stress is limited). Relies on
auto-transformer action to propagate excitatation throughout the length of
the secondary. Produces flashy but useless demonstrations.
Tesla's early work with multi-phase AC was wonderful engineering that
changed our society, then he went show-biz, selling technically unsound
ideas such as delivering electric power through free space. The Tesla Coil
was a device used to impress gullible potential investors and audiences with
the idea that electricity could move through space.

"R.H." wrote in message
As mentioned on my site, I'm travelling next week so I'll be posting on
Wednesday instead of the usual Thursday.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
As mentioned on my site, I'm travelling next
week so I'll be posting on
Wednesday instead of the usual Thursday.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Tesla Coil, of course

B.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1002 battery terminal puller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 04:23:27 -0400, "R.H." wrote:

As mentioned on my site, I'm travelling next week so I'll be posting on
Wednesday instead of the usual Thursday.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1003: Clay pidgeon thrower for skeet shooting.
Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 04:23:27 -0400, "R.H." wrote:

As mentioned on my site, I'm travelling next week so I'll be posting on
Wednesday instead of the usual Thursday.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Hey Rob,

1004.....may have a different name if you were ordering it from the
manufacturer, but the guys using it on the railroad call it a "hoop
stick". It was used by the station agent or operator to give ("hoop")
train orders to both the engine and caboose as trains passed,
sometimes at very high speeds. The paper orders were attached to the
device, and the operator then stood next to the rails where the train
would pass and someone on the train would hook the hoop with his arm
as the train passed. The paper orders were then detached and the hoop
stick thrown back to the ground for the operator to chase after and
recover for the next time. There was another type used that was made
of the same materials, but in a "Y" shape. The orders were tied in
the top of the Y with string, and only the string went so the operator
didn't have to find the stick as he kept it in his hand.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario. (CNR SRB#750612-2)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
As mentioned on my site, I'm travelling next week so I'll be posting on
Wednesday instead of the usual Thursday.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1001. Static Generator, Used to raise the single hair on my college
physics professor's head.

1002. Adjustable puller.

1003. Previously mentioned, a clay pigeon thrower, early model.

1004. Poor performer yanker off the stage. Earlier versions looked like
Little Bo Preps cane.

1005. Early version of TB test applicator.

1006. Handy Man of the Month Free Circle guide prototype.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
As mentioned on my site, I'm travelling next week so I'll be posting on
Wednesday instead of the usual Thursday.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1001 Tesla coil
1002 Gear puller
1003 Skeet thrower
1004 Animal control hoop
1005 Animal identification applicator (puts holes/tattoo marks in ears or
cheek)
1006 Wire gauge

Carl G.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 7 Jun, 09:23, "R.H." wrote:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1001. Tesla coil. A pretty badly designed one too -- lots of obvious
inefficiencies in its geometry.

1002. Two-jaw puller. Winding the screw causes the conical wedge to
force the jaws in a pincer action, and also pushes against the end of
the screw.

1003. Some sort of ball thrower? Target shooting? Dog training?

1004. Dog / badger catcher's noose

1005. Spiky thing.

1006. Transfer punches for blind holes. Leave them in the hole below,
place the matching workpiece over the top and thump them. They
transfer the hole's position as a centre punch mark, then you can
drill it out.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"dav1936531" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 04:23:27 -0400, "R.H." wrote:

As mentioned on my site, I'm travelling next week so I'll be posting on
Wednesday instead of the usual Thursday.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1003: Clay pidgeon thrower for skeet shooting.
Dave

In the early days of skeet shooting, they used glass balls instead of clay
pigeons. They also had the advantage that if thrown over water, the missed
would float and could be rounded up for reuse.

This would explain the direct throw (as opposed to a Frisbee sling) and the
nets that go in the hoops.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 04:23:27 -0400, "R.H." wrote:

As mentioned on my site, I'm travelling next week so I'll be posting on
Wednesday instead of the usual Thursday.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1002 most definately a puller for top post battery terminals.

1006 sewing machine needle gauge, and that's just a SWAG.
Thank You,
Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 10:16:20 +0000, Alexander Thesoso wrote:

1001 Tesla Coil...
Air-core step-up transformer. Excited by high frequency (high compared to
power frequency). Primary has a few turns. Secondary is a long
single-layer solenoid (so the insulation stress is limited). Relies on
auto-transformer action to propagate excitatation throughout the length of
the secondary. Produces flashy but useless demonstrations. Tesla's early
work with multi-phase AC was wonderful engineering that changed our
society, then he went show-biz, selling technically unsound ideas such as
delivering electric power through free space. The Tesla Coil was a device
used to impress gullible potential investors and audiences with the idea
that electricity could move through space.

I saw a photo of one of his old "wireless power transmission" gizmos, but
the demo device was literally inside a large induction coil. :-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 04:23:27 -0400, R.H. wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1001: as everyone said, testicle. ;-)
1002: puller
1003: spirit catcher
1004: critter catcher
1005: gothic S&M device
1006: gage gage

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

One comedian commented that a lot of non-natives have
a "Dream Catcher" hanging from their rearview mirrors.
The item is intended to keep evil spirits away while one sleeps.
For that reason he didn't ride with white guys much....

/mark

Rich Grise wrote:

1003: spirit catcher

Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1005. A guess- A device used to puncture the outer layer of skin in
order to administer a vaccine.

Kevin Gallimore

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

axolotl wrote:
R.H. wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1005. A guess- A device used to puncture the outer layer of skin in
order to administer a vaccine.

Kevin Gallimore

It appears designed to make six holes half an inch deep in something
about an inch thick. That doesn't seem to me like vaccination. I
wonder if it's to make pilot holes for attaching something an object.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
oups.com...
On 7 Jun, 09:23, "R.H." wrote:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1002. Two-jaw puller. Winding the screw causes the conical wedge to
force the jaws in a pincer action, and also pushes against the end of
the screw.

I'm sure that this is some type of puller but some of the gear pullers and
terminal pullers look the same so it's hard to say exactly which one this
is, though I'm leaning towards terminal puller.

1005. Spiky thing.

No one has answered this one correctly yet.

1006. Transfer punches for blind holes. Leave them in the hole below,
place the matching workpiece over the top and thump them. They
transfer the hole's position as a centre punch mark, then you can
drill it out.

Sounds like a good possibility, have you seen one of these before or are you
making an educated guess?

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:

1006. Transfer punches for blind holes. Leave them in the hole below,
place the matching workpiece over the top and thump them. They
transfer the hole's position as a centre punch mark, then you can
drill it out.

Sounds like a good possibility, have you seen one of these before or are you
making an educated guess?

Rob

See:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...9&filter=dowel

Thank you for entertaining contribution; I always look forward to Thursdays.

Regards,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"E Z Peaces" wrote in message
axolotl wrote:
R.H. wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1005. A guess- A device used to puncture the outer layer of skin in order
to administer a vaccine.

Kevin Gallimore

It appears designed to make six holes half an inch deep in something about
an inch thick. That doesn't seem to me like vaccination. I wonder if
it's to make pilot holes for attaching something an object.

I think it might be a dedicated punch for belt lacing holes.

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Don Young wrote:
"E Z Peaces" wrote in message
axolotl wrote:
R.H. wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

1005. A guess- A device used to puncture the outer layer of skin in order
to administer a vaccine.

Kevin Gallimore

It appears designed to make six holes half an inch deep in something about
an inch thick. That doesn't seem to me like vaccination. I wonder if
it's to make pilot holes for attaching something an object.

I think it might be a dedicated punch for belt lacing holes.

Don Young

It reminds me of a motorcycle jacket. How do you apply the snaps? A
no-sew snap may have six spikes in a little circle, like this device.
You can push them through fabric, then press the fitting against a tool
to clinch the spikes. How do you push the spikes through leather?

You might put the leather in the jaws of this device along with a sort
of pincushion under the leather, then squeeze to make holes for the
spikes on the snap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to R.H. :
As mentioned on my site, I'm travelling next week so I'll be posting on
Wednesday instead of the usual Thursday.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as always.

1001) A Tesla coil. Generates high frequency high voltage, unlike
the static generator in a previous set which generates high
voltage DC.

There is likely to be a tube circuit inside the box to generate
the high frequency. (Of course "high frequency" is a relative
term, and it is nowhere near what can be done these days. :-)

1002) A relative of a pulley puller. I believe that this one is
intended to be used to remove the cables from automotive (and
similar) battery terminals.

The knob has a cone on the bottom which spreads the upper arms
of the hooks, thus bringing the hooks themselves closer together
to grip under the battery terminal clamp.

The flat end of the long screw presses on the center of the
terminal, thus applying the force necessary to remove the
terminal even if it has gotten rather jammed on there.

1003) This is designed to throw something. I think that the rings
are a bit small for tennis balls or for clay pidgeons, so I
would expect something like golf balls or the like. The
presence of the nets eliminates things which could simply sit in
the rings touching on all sides.

There may be some missing parts to allow it to be triggered
by pulling a cord.

1004) Hmm ... perhaps the frame to which a net is attached for
dealing with a just-caught fish. Or perhaps it would be for
controlling some domesticated animals like sheep.

1005) Strange one. Perhaps for making the skin punctures all at once
which used to be common with chicken pox vaccinations.

1006) Another intersting one. It seems that the larger holes are
marked for threads, including very uncommon ones these days.
The fractional number is the diameter of the OD of the thread,
and the integer is the number of threads per inch.

The smaller holes could be the number-sized screw diameters,
except that there appear to be integer sizes followed by sizes
1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 of the way up to the next size.

Can you tell what the material of the discs is? It looks like
zinc, which would not be durable enough for use as a gauge for
screws and drill bits.

Perhaps it is for sorting lead shot or the like, with the
numbers corresponding to the size in whatever system is used.
It could be placed over a collection of small bottles, and the
shot rolled from one disc to the next until it finally falls
through thus defining its size.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 7 Jun, 09:23, "R.H." wrote:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

snip

1006. Transfer punches for blind holes. Leave them in the hole below,
place the matching workpiece over the top and thump them. They
transfer the hole's position as a centre punch mark, then you can
drill it out.

Sounds like a good possibility, have you seen one of these before or are

you
making an educated guess?

Rob

In the initial picture, it looked very much like a set of transfer punches,
viewed
straight end-on. But, if you look at the close-up, it clearly is not.
Rather, it is
some sort of gauge plate where the circles, far from being the ends of
punches
sitting in a holder, rather are recessed into a plate. And the small
circles in the
center are holes, not points.

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
As mentioned on my site, I'm travelling next week so I'll be posting on
Wednesday instead of the usual Thursday.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

1001 Another high voltage generator, this one should have a belt inside
the column

1002 Some type of gear puller

1003 --

1004 Looks like a railroad order hoop, used to pass orders to the
engine and caboose crews without stopping.

1005 --

1006 --

Howard, over on RCM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 8 Jun, 00:54, "R.H." wrote:

I'm sure that this is some type of puller but some of the gear pullers and
terminal pullers look the same so it's hard to say exactly which one this
is, though I'm leaning towards terminal puller.

Very narrow and weak tips to the jaws, so it looks more like a battery
terminal puller.

Hard to say though without knowing how big it is! If that thing's a
foot across, it's clearly not for batteries.

1006. Transfer punches for blind holes. Leave them in the hole below,
place the matching workpiece over the top and thump them. They
transfer the hole's position as a centre punch mark, then you can
drill it out.

Sounds like a good possibility, have you seen one of these before or are you
making an educated guess?

Not exactly like that. Sets of many-sized through punches (parallel
sided punches) are common in metal-bashing, but not blind punches.
Blind punches are used in woodworking with dowels, but in sets of a
standard size. I've not seen a graduated blind set before.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 8 Jun, 03:40, E Z Peaces wrote:

It reminds me of a motorcycle jacket. How do you apply the snaps? A
no-sew snap may have six spikes in a little circle, like this device.
You can push them through fabric, then press the fitting against a tool
to clinch the spikes. How do you push the spikes through leather?

You don't punch leather with round needles though. Leather needles are
flat or triangular, so they don't wedge shut in the hole.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

I'm still not sure about number 1006, but the rest of the answers have been
posted:

http://pzphotosan172-tx.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1002. An annoying, very poorly designed gear puller.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message

I'm still not sure about number 1006, but the rest of the answers have
been
posted:

http://pzphotosan172-tx.blogspot.com/

Rob

I am not sure what it is either but it could be used to mark the center of
dowels.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message

I'm still not sure about number 1006, but the rest of the answers have
been
posted:

http://pzphotosan172-tx.blogspot.com/

Rob

I believe it may be to measure discs something like coin blanks and the
holes are to push the disc out if it is a little tight. The very wide range
seems unusual. Maybe a button gage?

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Alexander Thesoso wrote:
1001 Tesla Coil...
Air-core step-up transformer. Excited by high frequency (high compared to
power frequency). Primary has a few turns. Secondary is a long
single-layer solenoid (so the insulation stress is limited). Relies on
auto-transformer action to propagate excitatation throughout the length of
the secondary. Produces flashy but useless demonstrations.
Tesla's early work with multi-phase AC was wonderful engineering that
changed our society, then he went show-biz, selling technically unsound
ideas such as delivering electric power through free space. The Tesla Coil
was a device used to impress gullible potential investors and audiences with
the idea that electricity could move through space.

Serendipitously, as I've been celebrating my 50th class reunion at
venues in Ogonquit, Maine and Cambridge, Massachusetts all week, it
appears that someone at my alma mater are still trying to sell that
wireless power transmission idea, as reported in The Boston Globe yesterday:

http://tinyurl.com/2wgwdj

I don't doubt that schemes like that can work, but it's hard for me to
believe that they'd be very efficient, so probably not practical for
significant electrical loads.

Speaking of efficiency, yesterday SWMBO and I spent a few hours in and
around the wackiest looking building I've ever seen firsthand, the new
Stata building at my alma mater, funded largely by classmate, Ray Stata,
and his wife:

http://web.mit.edu/evolving/buildings/stata/index.html

One of the more interesting things I learned about the building is that
it has no interior space heating system at all. The building has superb
thermal insulation. It has A/C to cool it down when needed, but the heat
from the occupant's bodies and all the electrically powered stuff inside
is sufficient to keep it "warm" even in the middle of a Massachusetts'
winter. Imagine that...

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
. ..
Alexander Thesoso wrote:
[...]

And no one mentions the physiological implications of living in that kind of
a magnetic field... or the results of something else being introduced into
the field that accidentally resonates...

Jerry