Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Leon - Rikon tracking

OK, Leon, I put a new 111" blade on my Rikon yesterday and I did have tracking
problems. But I found out it was from insufficient tension and raised the
upper wheel position about 0.2 inches. Tracks fine now. I don't know if
that was the same problem you were having.

And in all fairness I will report that I resawed sixteen english walnut logs
yesterday and today and this time I saw the sap/pitch buildup on the blade
and roller guides that you reported earlier. As someone else said, that's
not specifically a Rikon problem, it would happen on any saw with roller
guides. But since I reported earlier that I hadn't seen the problem, I
thought I should correct myself.

I know there are roller guide replacements for saws without them. I wonder if
the reverse is true? I'll have to look. In the meantime a little blade
cleaner should deal with the problem.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Well your an honest guy Larry.

111" blade? Do you have the 14 incher? I thought my 18" saw had a 134"
blade. Oddly the 16" Laguna has a 150" blade. Anyway...
The blade tracking problem I was having was that the blade would move
forward and backward toward the thrust bearing. The OEM blade tracked fine,
the Timberwolfs did not. Timberwolf had me cut the blade, lay it out on the
floor and eye ball it to see if it curves one way or another. It laid
straight and they replaced the sacrificial blade. IIRC 3 of the 4 blades
did this. I had a local company make me a blade that tracked ok.
Timberwold traded all the blades I had bought for the Rikon for longer ones
for the Laguna. So far all blades appear to be locked into position when
the saw is running, no visible vibration or wandering of the blades.
Absolutely no waver regardless of brand.
Tensioning differently did not help. AAMOF each time that I eased up on the
upper wheel tilt to get the blade to track forward I had to bang the top
wheel with my hand to get it to release and tilt. The top wheel did not
swing freely under tension. Loose as a goose with no blade on it but just
add tension and the adjustment became a 2 step routine. Loosen the wheel
and bump the wheel with my hand for the adjustment to take effect.
As far as the bearings are concerned I mentioned that the wet wood and
roller bearings were not a good combination and that I thought all Rikons
had the roller bearings. I never really said that this was a "Rikon only"
problem. Again also, the build up on the blade and bearing is not a Rikon
exclusive problem, simply not a good combination. I also mentioned that
regardless of which brand saw that the OP bought that he should strongly
consider getting ceramic guides for cutting green wood.

IIRC Inturra Design offers replacement ceramic guides for 14" saws and
Laguna offers their guides for several other brand saws. The Laguna's run
in excess of $200 however. Also, for small blades neither the roller or
ceramic guides are the best bet. Laguna and MiniMax both sell the Cool
Block guides for the very small blades, 1/8" and smaller IIRC. MiniMax
indicated that you really do not need to use guides on the smaller blades
and that they generally open the guides wide open when using the very small
blades.

Food for thought.

Gook luck with the saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
111" blade? Do you have the 14 incher? I thought my 18" saw had a 134"
blade. Oddly the 16" Laguna has a 150" blade. Anyway...

And my 18" Rikon uses a 142" blade. This is getting confusing....

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
Leon wrote:
111" blade? Do you have the 14 incher? I thought my 18" saw had a 134"
blade. Oddly the 16" Laguna has a 150" blade. Anyway...

And my 18" Rikon uses a 142" blade. This is getting confusing....

I know that Rikon has made some changes in the tension mechanism a time or
two that may explain the differences.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

111" blade?**Do*you*have*the*14*incher?**I*thought*my*1 8"*saw*had*a*134"
blade.**Oddly*the*16"*Laguna*has*a*150"*blade.***A nyway...

Yes. I've got the 10-325 (IIRC) "deluxe" 14" with 13" resaw capacity. It was
the most I could afford and it doesn't take up the shop room that an 18"
would. It's 1.5 horse, 2 speed and resaws logs quite well on low speed..

I'll check into Inturra (Iturra?) designs.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

111" blade? Do you have the 14 incher? I thought my 18" saw had a 134"
blade. Oddly the 16" Laguna has a 150" blade. Anyway...

Yes. I've got the 10-325 (IIRC) "deluxe" 14" with 13" resaw capacity. It
was
the most I could afford and it doesn't take up the shop room that an 18"
would. It's 1.5 horse, 2 speed and resaws logs quite well on low speed.

I'll check into Inturra (Iturra?) designs.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Yes, Inturra Design

Last I checked they did not have a web site however they will send you a
rather extensive and educational catalog.

You can call them Toll Free at 888-722-7078

or e-mail

Posted to rec.woodworking

t...

Leon wrote:

111" blade? Do you have the 14 incher? I thought my 18" saw had a 134"
blade. Oddly the 16" Laguna has a 150" blade. Anyway...

Yes. I've got the 10-325 (IIRC) "deluxe" 14" with 13" resaw capacity. It
was
the most I could afford and it doesn't take up the shop room that an 18"
would. It's 1.5 horse, 2 speed and resaws logs quite well on low speed.

I'll check into Inturra (Iturra?) designs.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Yes, Inturra Design

Last I checked they did not have a web site however they will send you a
rather extensive and educational catalog.

You can call them Toll Free at 888-722-7078

or e-mail

Not to pick nits or anything, but isn't that Iturra Design?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

Not to pick nits or anything, but isn't that Iturra Design?

YES biggerin Dallas.

6x48 tracking problem DanG Woodworking 5 January 15th 07 11:34 PM
Ping Leon, Rikon Band Saw Leon Woodworking 13 January 22nd 06 08:54 PM
Tracking down electrical faults Dan Collier UK diy 2 January 20th 05 09:46 PM
Bandsaw tracking Neil Cummins Woodworking 18 September 4th 04 12:43 AM
Poor tracking Chessucat Electronics Repair 2 January 9th 04 03:15 AM