Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Spray Painted Surface Very Rough

On May 23, 12:35 pm, Jay Chan wrote:
I used cans of semi-gloss oil based spray paint to spray the finish
coat on a book case. The surface was very smooth before I sprayed.
But the sprayed surface was very rough after spraying. Seem like
spray paint droplets might have combined together in mid air before
landing on the surface. I used 400 grit sand paper to easily sand out
the rough surface. Now the surface is flat instead of semi gloss
after the sanding. My questions a

1. How should I prevent this problem from happening again?

2. How should I put back the shine on the surface to something like
semi gloss?

3. How should I put a protective coating on the "flat" surface to
allow me to clean the surface easily?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

What is the source of the roughness? Paint fragments or small
wood fibers that popped up from the surface?

You may well have "raised the grain"- caused such small fibers
that remain after sanding to stand proud after getting wet.

Were that so, I'd be sure to use a cabinet scraper (rather than
any sander) prior to sealing and between subsequent coats.

Can easily pass the "baby's bottom" test, doing that, with
construction-grade plywood- utility stuff.

TTFN,