Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Spray Painted Surface Very Rough

Lots to learn hear but spraying from a can is pretty hard to get good
results on anything large than toy car models unelss you are very
careful and knowledgable.

1. Yes, bounce is a likely culprit. But it could be too dry. This is a
factor of the application method, not the paint mix only (see #2)

2. The can formulation is a good general mixture but you need to apply
it thick enough so it stays wet on the surface long enough to flatten
and absorb any bounced material.

3. Howevr, you don't want it so wet that it runs or is so thick it
doesn't dry well.

4. This sounds like contradictory requirements and they are but they
are the art of spraying. That is why the can is hard to perfect
because with a professional spray system you can adjust amount of
thinner, mix of air to liquid, pressure of air, pattern of spray, size
of spray aperature, add driers, or extenders depending on humidity,
temperature, etc, etc.

5. Use a clear gloss spray over the top or use wax. Wax won't be as
shiney and needs to be renewed. Also hard to reverse if you don't like
the look so test first.

On May 23, 10:36 am, Jay Chan wrote:
On May 23, 12:41 pm, "Leon" wrote:

"Jay Chan" wrote in message

oups.com...

I used cans of semi-gloss oil based spray paint to spray the finish
coat on a book case. The surface was very smooth before I sprayed.
But the sprayed surface was very rough after spraying. Seem like
spray paint droplets might have combined together in mid air before
landing on the surface. I used 400 grit sand paper to easily sand out
the rough surface. Now the surface is flat instead of semi gloss
after the sanding. My questions a

1. How should I prevent this problem from happening again?

2. How should I put back the shine on the surface to something like
semi gloss?

3. How should I put a protective coating on the "flat" surface to
allow me to clean the surface easily?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

Sounds like you may have put the coat on too thin/dry.- Hide quoted text -

You are probably right. But the paint is coming from a can; I assume
the manufacturer should have formulate the paint just right.
Actually, I have used spray paint from cans many times before, and
this is the first time I have encountered this problem. Does this
have to do with spraying too close from the surface? Does this have
to do with the fact that I sprayed into the inside space of the book
case where the space is enclosed in five sides and the paint droplets
might have bounced back and collided with each other and formed big
droplets?

And what should I do to put the shine back onto the surface that has
been sanded to a "flat" finish? Any idea? Thanks.

Jay Chan- Hide quoted text -