Thomas Mitchell

Default How to make a cut?

I'm making a set of blocks for my son. I have the rectangular solid
pieces made and want to make some of the ramp pieces. Basically take a
block, 4"x2"x1" and cut on a diagonal. What's the safest way to make
this cut? I've toyed with a few different ideas but haven't come up with
one that says yeah that'll work.

Thomas

Doug Miller

In article , Thomas Mitchell wrote:
I'm making a set of blocks for my son. I have the rectangular solid
pieces made and want to make some of the ramp pieces. Basically take a
block, 4"x2"x1" and cut on a diagonal. What's the safest way to make
this cut? I've toyed with a few different ideas but haven't come up with
one that says yeah that'll work.

Bandsaw, then clean up the edge with sandpaper or a file.

--
Regards,
Chris Merrill

Thomas Mitchell wrote:
I'm making a set of blocks for my son. I have the rectangular solid
pieces made and want to make some of the ramp pieces. Basically take a
block, 4"x2"x1" and cut on a diagonal. What's the safest way to make
this cut? I've toyed with a few different ideas but haven't come up with
one that says yeah that'll work.

What you're looking for is called a 'taper' sled (or jig).

Here's a picture of one being used to taper a mallet handle:
http://christophermerrill.net/ww/shop/taperSled.html

It's also useful when cutting any small part.

--
************************************
Chris Merrill

(remove the ZZZ to contact me)
************************************

Thomas Mitchell

yep as I was writing the msg the bandsaw idea popped into my head as
well. No sure how uniform the blocks would turn out to be but it might
be the best way to go.

I haven't measured, but I think the angle for the cut would be 22.5
degrees. Means I'd have to cut the piece lengthwise with a cms afaik.

Mike in Mystic wrote:
Prep a piece of stock to the correct heighth and width, but make it from a
very long piece. You can now use your table saw with a miter gauge, or even
a power miter box, to cut off the diagonal blocks safely from one end.

If you MUST cut already prepared blocks in half, then make a jig with three
pieces of plywood or MDF. Basically two sides and a bottom. Make the space
between the sides so you get a good fit with the block. Then clamp some
stop blocks on either side of the block and you can use your miter box to
cut it.

Finally, and probably the easiest way, is to use a bandsaw, but depending on
how small the blocks are, this could still be pretty dangerous.

Mike

--

There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.