Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Can somebody provide information about this band saw?

A friend just bought a house with a barn. In the barn is a very old
band saw with the name "Walker Turner" and the serial number 19639 on
it. It was behind a bunch of stuff and there was no power anyway, so
I don't even know if it works. But it was VERY heavy and appeared
well made. Anyway, she doesn't want it and I'm wondering if it has
any value. For that matter I wonder if blades can be had for it.

Any thoughts?

-Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

band saw with the name "Walker Turner" and the serial number 19639 on

well made. Anyway, she doesn't want it and I'm wondering if it has
any value. For that matter I wonder if blades can be had for it.

Any thoughts?

From what I've heard and read, anything that says "Walker Turner"

definitely has some value. I would sure snatch it up if I had the
chance! Bandsaw quality depends a lot (primarily?) on the frame, and
those ancient cast iron jobs are sure nice. Even if it needs a new
motor, tires, guides, etc., you'd have a fine machine, for a
reasonable price. Get a bandsaw book.
Blades are available in any length - most good places will weld them
to custom length for you. I'd call Iturra Designs (866-883-8064, no
website) - they have a great selection of good blades for good prices,
as well as a variety of accessories. Call them up and ask for a
catalog - the catalog has a bunch of info, and I've found their
salespeople and owner very helpful too. (no affiliations, just a
happy customer).
Have fun with your new bandsaw,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jtpr" wrote in message
oups.com...
A friend just bought a house with a barn. In the barn is a very old
band saw with the name "Walker Turner" and the serial number 19639 on
it. It was behind a bunch of stuff and there was no power anyway, so
I don't even know if it works. But it was VERY heavy and appeared
well made. Anyway, she doesn't want it and I'm wondering if it has
any value. For that matter I wonder if blades can be had for it.

Any thoughts?

-Jim

try he http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/Detail.asp?ID=808

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 13, 9:23 pm, "Brian" wrote:
"jtpr" wrote in message

oups.com...A friend just bought a house with a barn. In the barn is a very old
band saw with the name "Walker Turner" and the serial number 19639 on
it. It was behind a bunch of stuff and there was no power anyway, so
I don't even know if it works. But it was VERY heavy and appeared
well made. Anyway, she doesn't want it and I'm wondering if it has
any value. For that matter I wonder if blades can be had for it.

Any thoughts?

-Jim

try hehttp://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/Detail.asp?ID=808

Thank you. Yes, it seems like a nicely made machine. Assuming it
powers up and the blade spins, how could I find out a fair value for
it? I looked on eBay, but didn't really find anything comparable.

I know this is a "it's worth what somebody will pay" question, and if
it was a stranger I'd just offer $100 and hope for the best, but it is
a friend and I would like to give her fair value, and if it is more
then I can afford, tell her what to look for.

Thanks,
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jtpr" wrote in message
I know this is a "it's worth what somebody will pay" question, and if
it was a stranger I'd just offer $100 and hope for the best, but it is
a friend and I would like to give her fair value, and if it is more
then I can afford, tell her what to look for.

You're looking at it from the point of view of what the saw will be worth if
and when it's fully restored. It's a nice sentiment and all, but considering
how many hours (and probably money for some parts) you'd have to put into
restoring it, giving her fair value is a relative thing. If your time is not
worth anything to you and you look at it as costing you nothing, then you
can go with that type of thinking. If however, your time *is* worth
something to you, then offer her a lower amount and tell her that if you can
restore it without too much difficulty, then you'll increase the sale price
to an agreed on amount or you'll sell it as a working saw and split the
profits.

I'd look at it from the point of view you'd use if you were flipping a house
and decided to keep the house instead of selling it for a profit. Feeling as
you do about being forthright with this women, tell her it might be worth
something, but only if it's fully restored and working and that it will take
considerable effort restore it. Then see if you can find a mutually
agreeable price. After all, you're not thinking of buying it to make a
profit. You want it so you can use it.