Posted to rec.woodworking
Jon Jon is offline

Default Steel City Drum sander

Does anyone have one of these? What do you see as he pro's / cons of this
machine?

Thanks,
Jon

Posted to rec.woodworking

I was planning on buying a SC 16-32 when I found a good deal on a used
Ryobi 16-32. It turns out that the SC is almost identical - I suspect
that they bought the rights to manufacture the Ryobi. SC did make a few
changes such as higher HP motor, a handier inboard paper clamp, and a
bracket for the open end to stabilize it when sanding narrow things

I've used it enough to like it; however it definitely requires some
practice. Works best if you don't take much off with each pass. I
usually do 2 passes without changing height. Also, best to have a good
dust collector to hook to it.

-G

"Jon" wrote in
:

Does anyone have one of these? What do you see as he pro's / cons of
this machine?

Posted to rec.woodworking

High Score wrote in news:Xns992DD0AC91A32max20@
66.250.146.128:

I was planning on buying a SC 16-32 when I found a good deal on a used
Ryobi 16-32. It turns out that the SC is almost identical - I suspect
that they bought the rights to manufacture the Ryobi. SC did make a few
changes such as higher HP motor, a handier inboard paper clamp, and a
bracket for the open end to stabilize it when sanding narrow things

I've used it enough to like it; however it definitely requires some
practice. Works best if you don't take much off with each pass. I
usually do 2 passes without changing height. Also, best to have a good
dust collector to hook to it.

-G

"Jon" wrote in
:

Does anyone have one of these? What do you see as he pro's / cons of
this machine?

My understanding is that Steel City is buyer of contract manufactured
designs, from various manufacturers. So their purchase/resale of a well-
considered and experienced design from Ryobi would fit this scenario.

Their folks are reputed to have a bit of experience in the tools business,
too.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jon" wrote in message
Does anyone have one of these? What do you see as he pro's / cons of this
machine?

Thanks,
Jon

I got a Performax 22/44 about 5 months ago and while shopping drum sanders I
took a close look at the Steel City model that resembles the Performax.
Steel City appears to be a decent product however this company is relatively
new. SawStop and Rikon look like old timers by comparison. From what I
have learned a lot of Delta people have ended up at Steel City and that is a
plus. One of the main reasons that I did not go with Steel City at the time
is because there was really no cost advantage over the Performax. At the
time, I was comparing the 16/32's With no cost advantage at the time
prudence dictated to go with the brand that has been building these machines
for a much longer period of time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 12 May 2007 09:09:04 -0500, "Leon"
wrote:

I got a Performax 22/44 about 5 months ago

Now that you've got the shipping issues worked out, is your 22/44 as
brainless to use as mine?

I can't believe the use I get out of it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I got a Performax 22/44 about 5 months ago

Now that you've got the shipping issues worked out, is your 22/44 as
brainless to use as mine?

I can't believe the use I get out of it.

Performax sent me a new conveyor belt but the original one started tracking
correctly before the new one arrived. It does however have a high spot that
will rub the sand paper if it is adjusted low enough. No big deal. I do
use it often and have used it on several of the past jobs that I have had.