Jim

Default How do you use a Joiner Plane?

I do very little woodworking. However I'm
planning on making something that requires doing
some joining.

I've been looking at purchasing a joining plane.
But there is one aspect I haven't been able to get
a handle on. That is keeping the plane at a 90
degree angle to the side. I was planning on using
1" stock - which is what, maybe 7/8" in actuality.

I am planning on using pine. Thinking about what
is purchased from a home improvement store or
lumber yard. I don't know how much effort is made
to make sure that the edges are exactly 90 degrees
to each other. If you are just using a joiner
plane all you would be doing would be continuing
the angle already existing on the wood. Before
electricity and jointers what did they do? Did
furniture makers clamp some type of fence unto the
board they were join planing? Or am I trying to
be overly precise on this.

I realize I could try to track a wood working shop
and pay them to do the planing. But if this
project is like a lot of my other projects it will
probably stretch out a long time before being
completed. Concern then exist of having the soft
wood edged and then the weather changes effect the
finish before I get all the edges glued up.

Thank you,
Jim

PM6564

"Jim" wrote in message
news
I do very little woodworking. However I'm
planning on making something that requires doing
some joining.

I've been looking at purchasing a joining plane.
But there is one aspect I haven't been able to get
a handle on. That is keeping the plane at a 90
degree angle to the side. I was planning on using
1" stock - which is what, maybe 7/8" in actuality.

You can clamp a couple of pieces together for a wider base, you can just use
the plane and check it from time to time with a square or you can get one of
these
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...rency=2&S ID=

nuk

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 00:14:46 GMT, PM6564 wrote:

"Jim" wrote in message
news
I do very little woodworking. However I'm
planning on making something that requires doing
some joining.

I've been looking at purchasing a joining plane.
But there is one aspect I haven't been able to get
a handle on. That is keeping the plane at a 90
degree angle to the side. I was planning on using
1" stock - which is what, maybe 7/8" in actuality.

You can clamp a couple of pieces together for a wider base, you can just use
the plane and check it from time to time with a square or you can get one of
these
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...rency=2&S ID=

Something I've seen people use that does about the same thing is make a
small L-shaped fence from scrap plywood, and attach it to the bottom of
the jointer plane w/ small C-clamps. 'course, for $30, it might just be
quicker and easier to order the Veritas fence and not have to fiddle as
much

HTH,

nuk

--
I know more than enough *nix to do some very destructive things,
and not nearly enough to do very many useful things.
Pinwu Xu

In one of the Tage Frid books, he gave some tips that for jointing 2
pieces, you can put the 2 pieces face to face, then use your plane
to smooth/straight the edge. Since the 2 boards are put face to face,
when you join them, they will match, even if the plane is not 100%
90 degrees.

Go find the book (library, bookstore, etc.)
Hope this helps.

Pinwu

Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A. wrote:
Jim wrote:

I don't know how much effort is made
to make sure that the edges are exactly 90 degrees
to each other. If you are just using a joiner
plane all you would be doing would be continuing
the angle already existing on the wood. Before
electricity and jointers what did they do? Did
furniture makers clamp some type of fence unto the
board they were join planing? Or am I trying to
be overly precise on this.

Jeff Gorman

"Jim" wrote

:
: I've been looking at purchasing a joining plane.
: But there is one aspect I haven't been able to get
: a handle on. That is keeping the plane at a 90
: degree angle to the side.

Jim might like to try my web site - Planing Notes - How To Plane A Square
Edge'.

Perhaps follow this with 'Rub Jointing'.

Jeff G

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
Email address is username@ISP

CW wrote:
: Looks like youve been hacked Jeff.
:
: Jim might like to try my web site - Planing Notes - How To Plane A Square
: Edge'.
:
: Perhaps follow this with 'Rub Jointing'.
:
: Jeff G
:
: --
: Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
: Email address is username@ISP
: username is amgron
: ISP is clara.co.uk
: Website www.username.clara.net

He hasn't been hacked. You replace the "username" with the username he specifies.