Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Thickness planer

Hello

I'm looking to buy a 12½ - 13" wood thikness planer
The more infos I found, the more confused I am

Can I have your advise ?

Dewalt ???

Makita ??

Delta ??

Ridgid ??

Thank you very much for your help

Dany

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gaspareau" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello

I'm looking to buy a 12½ - 13" wood thikness planer
The more infos I found, the more confused I am

Can I have your advise ?

Dewalt ???

Makita ??

Delta ??

Ridgid ??

Thank you very much for your help

Dany

All are noisy but the Makita is reported to be less noisy. The current
Ridgid design has been around for a while and most owners reports are good.
It probably has the best warranty in he business with its Life time
Warranty, and yes that currently covers wearing out with the exception of
the knives.
I have had a 10" Ryobi, probably the first portable ever made and it is 19
years old. I retired it last year and now use a stationary 15" Delta. If
I were to buy another portable I would probably go with the Ridgid as first
choice and the Makita as a second choice.
Portables have become much like printers and ink cartridges, the planers are
reasonably priced but the knives are disposable and will be a continuing
expense.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 3, 1:05 pm, Gaspareau wrote:
Hello

I'm looking to buy a 12½ - 13" wood thikness planer
The more infos I found, the more confused I am

Can I have your advise ?

Dewalt ???

Makita ??

Delta ??

Ridgid ??

Thank you very much for your help

Dany

Read this

http://woodmagazine.com/wood/story.j...1725979406.xml

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in
t:

snip of good stuff Leon said...
Portables have become much like printers and ink cartridges, the
planers are reasonably priced but the knives are disposable and will
be a continuing expense.

I've been keeping my blades up with a block of maple, wrapped with 800 grit
wet dry abrasive paper. Haven't spent money on new blades in three or four
years. Someday, probably.

It's a Ridgid TP1300, which I would gladly buy again.

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gaspareau wrote:

I'm looking to buy a 12½ - 13" wood thikness planer
The more infos I found, the more confused I am

Can I have your advise ?

Dewalt ???

Makita ??

Delta ??

Ridgid ??

Have had a DeWalt, DW733 for 9 years.

Knife sharpening is straight forward.

Easy to maintain, it doesn't owe me anything.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 136...
"Leon" wrote in
t:

snip of good stuff Leon said...
Portables have become much like printers and ink cartridges, the
planers are reasonably priced but the knives are disposable and will
be a continuing expense.

I've been keeping my blades up with a block of maple, wrapped with 800
grit
wet dry abrasive paper. Haven't spent money on new blades in three or
four
years. Someday, probably.

It's a Ridgid TP1300, which I would gladly buy again.

Patriarch

I'll third that one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 03 May 2007 22:15:26 +0000, efgh wrote:
"Patriarch" wrote in message

It's a Ridgid TP1300, which I would gladly buy again.

I'll third that one.

And I'll forth it--just bought a used one on craigslist at 1/2 price
new, barely used, extra blades and dust hood. Impressive machine.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Bob is offline

"Gaspareau" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello

I'm looking to buy a 12½ - 13" wood thikness planer
The more infos I found, the more confused I am

One thing I notice - very few, if any, complaints about any portable model.
That must mean that most of the companies have done a good job with a
relatively cheap design. When I bought my Delta 22-580, my first use of it
left my jaw gaping. I could not believe it did such a good job. If I were
buying today, I might go for a bigger cast iron planer. I bought the delta
with the plan to "get by" for a couple of years. That was almost 3 years
ago. I still cannot believe I got it on a close-out sale at Lowe's brand new
for $229.

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3 May 2007 10:05:03 -0700, Gaspareau wrote:

Hello

I'm looking to buy a 12½ - 13" wood thikness planer
The more infos I found, the more confused I am

Can I have your advise ?

Dewalt ???

I have the DW735 and it is outstanding. Price is commensurate.

Makita ??

Delta ??

Ridgid ??

If I hadn't gotten a DW735, I would have gotten one of these.

Thank you very much for your help

Dany

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gaspareau wrote:
Hello

I'm looking to buy a 12½ - 13" wood thikness planer
The more infos I found, the more confused I am

Can I have your advise ?

I own, but cannot recommend, the Harbor Freight portable.

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000739-0, 05/09/2007
Tested on: 5/9/2007 10:31:43 PM

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hello everyone

I finally made my choise

I bought a Dewalt DW735 at Busy bee in Ottawa
599$ canadians dollars
they have a promotion and they "give me" a set of
extra blade and the extension tables

I hope I made a good choise

Thank you for your advises anyway

Good woodworking every one !!

On 3 mai, 13:05, Gaspareau wrote:
Hello

I'm looking to buy a 12½ - 13" wood thikness planer
The more infos I found, the more confused I am

Can I have your advise ?

Dewalt ???

Makita ??

Delta ??

Ridgid ??

Thank you very much for your help

Dany

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I bought a Dewalt DW735 at Busy bee in Ottawa
599$ canadians dollars
they have a promotion and they "give me" a set of
extra blade and the extension tables

I hope I made a good choise

You did and you'll enjoy using it.
--