Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? CLXVIII

Just posted the latest set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

973. blacksmiths cone. make steel or other metal round or conical.
http://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/Temp...art_search.php

975. Pharmacists pill roller.
http://www.goantiques.com/detail,pha...r,1279127.html

976. I think they're for making beads or grooves in wood.The name
riffler comes to mind but I don't think it's correct. Here's a similar
tool for inletting rifle barrels.
http://www.gunline.com/inletting.html
Thanks
Karl

On May 2, 10:10 pm, "R.H." wrote:
Just posted the latest set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 3 May 2007 04:10:12 -0400, "R.H." wrote:

Just posted the latest set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

972: is a Homer Simpson hammer. You just know that thing will smash
knuckles.

972: is a MIRV warhead. Wait.........er......OMG!!! What are you doing
with a nuclear missile warhead, where did you get it, and is it for
sale because I want one too.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
Just posted the latest set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

975: pill making machine (pharmacological)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Soap holder.

Communist propaganda device. Darn commies..

Cones, large and small.

Machine-gun belt measurer.

Military washboard. Gets out those really tough scared-stains.

Broach.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to R.H. :
Just posted the latest set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from Rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

971) I've never seen anything like this before, but it looks
to me like a hinge designed for quick replacement of
whatever is held between the claw-equipped fingers.

At a guess, it is for something like the striped barrier board
at railroad crossings or something similar. Those must get
broken fairly often, and being able to replace them quickly must
be an advantage. The four conical projections must be for
establishing proper alignment before bolting the hinge in place.

The 'V' notch in the hinge suggests that it is designed to stay
in a single position normally (with a matching projection in the
mating part), and the spring is for returning it to the proper
position after it has been pushed past -- assuming that the
board did not break.

972) A folding symbol of the USSR? :-)

I guess that it is for disassembly of crates or something of the
sort?

973) Are those steel or cast iron? No real idea what their function
is. You've got a good set of puzzlers this week.

974) I don't think that it is a "gauge" of any sort. Just some sort
of hand-advanced counter.

975) Perhaps for forming cigars or some similar tobacco product?

976) For forming tongue-and-groove joints in wood?

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 03 May 2007 04:10:12 -0400, R.H. wrote:

Just posted the latest set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

971: Industrial-strength cat carrier:
http://www.prosoundweb.com/fun/Photo...at_carrier.jpg

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

973) Are those steel or cast iron?

Not sure, but those who guessed "cone anvil" are correct, they're for making
rings of various sizes.

974) I don't think that it is a "gauge" of any sort. Just some sort
of hand-advanced counter.

Yes, counter is a better term for this one, still no luck finding out
exactly what they counted with it.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 3 May, 10:51, " wrote:

976. I think they're for making beads or grooves in wood.The name
riffler comes to mind but I don't think it's correct.

They're usually called a "float". Plane makers (wooden joiner's
planes) used them for making the cross-grain grooves for the iron-
holding wedges in plane bodies.

They're also used for insetting barrels and actions into gunstocks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 3 May, 10:51, " wrote:

976. I think they're for making beads or grooves in wood.The name
riffler comes to mind but I don't think it's correct.

They're usually called a "float". Plane makers (wooden joiner's
planes) used them for making the cross-grain grooves for the iron-
holding wedges in plane bodies.

They're also used for insetting barrels and actions into gunstocks.

Good answer, both of these were marked "gunstock float".

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Just posted the latest set:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

972: Explosion proof hammer and hook. I imagine it was intended to be
used by people in the field (because it's collapsible), but I don't
know WHAT field :-).
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Most of them have been answered correctly this week, more information and a
few links can be seen he

http://pzphotosan168-zx.blogspot.com/

Rob