Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cabinet Saw time

I have been waiting some time for this as I sold off my Delta
contractor saw last fall and have been out of the country quite a bit
since then. I had settled on the Grizzly G1023SLW with the router
insert in the wing. It was out of stock until last week and I was
going to order it now since I will be coming in from offshore next
week. Now in my inbox I see Rockler has the Jet 10" 3HP left tilt for
$100.00 off and free shipping. I really don't need the router wing
insert as I have a BenchDog system with a Hitchi 12V. Any thoughts on
one over the other? Not trying to restart any Griz/Jet wars here;
just looking for experience and opinions. I'm going to order one in
the next couple of days...

TIA,

Paul (Floating in the Gulf O' Mexico)

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have owned a Grizzly 1023S for five years and couldn't be happier. When I
started my search Unisaw and Jet were initially at the top of the pile. Got
a chance to have a Griz demonstrated at the Springfield store. Then their
customer service gave me names of a couple of guys in my are that owned
them. That sealed it. Very quick truck delivery and easy setup. No
problems since.

BTW, I just added a router table outside of the existing cast iron wing on
mine (between the regular length fence rails). Pretty much made from stuff
I had in the shop. It ends up being about the same size as the SLW but
lighter. I didn't add the legs because they aren't needed. However, for
the difference between prices of the "S" (or "SL") and the "SLW" -- the SLW
doesn't look like a bad deal.

RonB

"Paul in MN" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been waiting some time for this as I sold off my Delta
contractor saw last fall and have been out of the country quite a bit
since then. I had settled on the Grizzly G1023SLW with the router
insert in the wing. It was out of stock until last week and I was
going to order it now since I will be coming in from offshore next
week. Now in my inbox I see Rockler has the Jet 10" 3HP left tilt for
$100.00 off and free shipping. I really don't need the router wing
insert as I have a BenchDog system with a Hitchi 12V. Any thoughts on
one over the other? Not trying to restart any Griz/Jet wars here;
just looking for experience and opinions. I'm going to order one in
the next couple of days...

TIA,

Paul (Floating in the Gulf O' Mexico)

Posted to rec.woodworking
JSC JSC is offline

I have the Jet 3hp left tilt, package price included the longer fence with a
router table and a decent Bosch router to boot. I've used it for nearly a
year now with no complaints at all, huge step up from my old Craftsman saw.
Only comment about the Jet, they don't bevel the front edge of the cast iron
extensions, leaving a fairly sharp exposed edge. I'm sure there is some
reason why they don't (for those of us who occasionally confuse our rights
with our lefts maybe) but it is something contend with. - no experience with
Grizzly, but from what I've seen in this ng, many happy owners of both.

Good luck with your new saw, I hope you are as happy with the upgrade as I
was.

Jeff

Local supplier delivered the saw, took a day or so to get it set up (I move
a bit slower these days...)
"Paul in MN" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been waiting some time for this as I sold off my Delta
contractor saw last fall and have been out of the country quite a bit
since then. I had settled on the Grizzly G1023SLW with the router
insert in the wing. It was out of stock until last week and I was
going to order it now since I will be coming in from offshore next
week. Now in my inbox I see Rockler has the Jet 10" 3HP left tilt for
$100.00 off and free shipping. I really don't need the router wing
insert as I have a BenchDog system with a Hitchi 12V. Any thoughts on
one over the other? Not trying to restart any Griz/Jet wars here;
just looking for experience and opinions. I'm going to order one in
the next couple of days...

TIA,

Paul (Floating in the Gulf O' Mexico)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Only comment about the Jet, they don't bevel the front edge of the cast
iron
extensions, leaving a fairly sharp exposed edge.

I too am a happy owner of a Jet. I'm fairly sure that all major
manufacturers do not bevel the wings. This is because the main to an wings
are ground flat separately, and milling matching the bevels separately would
be difficult.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"C & S" wrote in message
.. .

This is because the main to an wings
are ground flat separately, and milling matching the bevels separately
would
be difficult.

Well, I too have had the Jet for 7 years and am very happy with it.

As for the bevel, it would not be difficult to mill the bevel on the
extensions. If they can mill a flat surface milling the wings would not be
a problem either. As a fatter of fact, The Powermatic 2000 has a bevel all
the way across the front edge.

The wings extensions are not milled on the Jet for two reasons.
1. If you milled a bevel on the front of the extensions to match the TS
main table you would cut through the iron. The wings are not as thick on
the front side as the main saw table is.
2. The bevel is to prevent the "stock" miter gauge face from catching as
you push it over the edge. The "stock" miter gauge is narrow enough that a
bevel on the wings are not required.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Paul in MN" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have been waiting some time for this as I sold off my Delta
contractor saw last fall and have been out of the country quite a bit
since then. I had settled on the Grizzly G1023SLW with the router
insert in the wing. It was out of stock until last week and I was
going to order it now since I will be coming in from offshore next
week. Now in my inbox I see Rockler has the Jet 10" 3HP left tilt for
$100.00 off and free shipping. I really don't need the router wing
insert as I have a BenchDog system with a Hitchi 12V. Any thoughts on
one over the other? Not trying to restart any Griz/Jet wars here;
just looking for experience and opinions. I'm going to order one in
the next couple of days...

TIA,

Paul (Floating in the Gulf O' Mexico)

If price is not longer a factor, either would probably be a good choice. I
personally don't like having a built in router as I like to have separate
setups. I have the Bench Dog station also.

It may all boil down to whether you want a near white saw that reflects
light better than green. LOL

On another note, Jet dealers are all over the place. Grizzly has 3 or 4
locations. This may or may not be a factor for you.

I personally have the Jet left tilt and expect it to out last me. I have
had to make no miter slot to saw blade adjustments in the 7 years that I
have owned it. Would I buy again? I would strongly reconsider Jet, Laguna,
Powermatic 2000, and the SawStop. I'd probably end up with the Laguna or
the SawStop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 27, 4:21 pm, Paul in MN wrote:
I have been waiting some time for this as I sold off my Delta
contractor saw last fall and have been out of the country quite a bit
since then.

I have decided on a General (General Industrial is an off-shore
version). They're worth looking into.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 28, 9:45 am, Robatoy wrote:
On Apr 27, 4:21 pm, Paul in MN wrote:

I have been waiting some time for this as I sold off my Delta
contractor saw last fall and have been out of the country quite a bit
since then.

I have decided on a General (General Industrial is an off-shore
version). They're worth looking into.

I will probably be upgrading soon, too. We finally have a General
distributor here in town, and I swear the General saw I looked at
reminded me of the old Green Delta from my school shop in '70.
Everything was heavy duty, smooth, and just plain nice. The only
short coming was the fence on the one I looked didn't feel quite as
positive (could have been their setup) as others I have used.

I hope if you buy one you will post a review.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 28, 10:59 am, "
wrote:

I will probably be upgrading soon, too. We finally have a General
distributor here in town, and I swear the General saw I looked at
reminded me of the old Green Delta from my school shop in '70.
Everything was heavy duty, smooth, and just plain nice. The only
short coming was the fence on the one I looked didn't feel quite as
positive (could have been their setup) as others I have used.

I hope if you buy one you will post a review.

We're past the 'if' part. I'm looking for a deal at this point and I
am looking into a sliding table attachment for it too.
Last time I fired one up, all I heard was the soft whistling of the
wind through the blade's teeth.
Their Canadian made version of the T-fence is just fantabulous.
I like those General people, they're hanging in there, damn the
torpedoes. Their off-shore stuff isn't too shabby either. A friend of
mine bought a big General International planer from them and it is
NICE.

This is the saw I'm drooling over. (c model with t-fence)

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/50220220ca.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 28, 10:45 am, Robatoy wrote:
On Apr 27, 4:21 pm, Paul in MN wrote:

I have been waiting some time for this as I sold off my Delta
contractor saw last fall and have been out of the country quite a bit
since then.

I have decided on a General (General Industrial is an off-shore
version). They're worth looking into.

errrrmmmmm *BUZZER SOUND*
I mean General International...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Well, I too have had the Jet for 7 years and am very happy with it.

As for the bevel, it would not be difficult to mill the bevel on the
extensions. If they can mill a flat surface milling the wings would not be
a problem either. As a fatter of fact, The Powermatic 2000 has a bevel all
the way across the front edge.

The wings extensions are not milled on the Jet for two reasons.
1. If you milled a bevel on the front of the extensions to match the TS
main table you would cut through the iron. The wings are not as thick on
the front side as the main saw table is.
2. The bevel is to prevent the "stock" miter gauge face from catching as
you push it over the edge. The "stock" miter gauge is narrow enough that a
bevel on the wings are not required.

3. Not milling a bevel on the extension tables allow for a single
casting to be flipped around and used on either the right or left side
of the main table.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 28, 11:02 am, Robatoy wrote:
Their Canadian made version of the T-fence is just fantabulous. I like those General people, they're hanging in there, damn the torpedoes. Their off-shore stuff isn't too shabby either. A friend of
mine bought a big General International planer from them and it is NICE.

I have looked at some of the General Interplanetary stuff (for those
playing along) and it looks first rate to me.

But the "General" brand just seem to remind me of the old iron days.
When the guy that turned the saw on for me looked at my face, he sure
got the expected response. It sounded like some kind of all ball
bearing fan. Just a kind of turbine sound, then up to speed
immediately.

BTW, as a testimony to the accuracy and longevity of the General saw
line, the distributor is Jointech (their home in sunny San Antonio is
about 7 miles from my house), manufacturer of various goodies for the
table saw to make exotic joints, or just plain accurate joints.

These guys could use any saw they wanted, and they chose General, even
when they had to order them in. They liked the sturdy reliability of
the saws, and the fact they could pack them in the trailer for
woodworking shows and they didn't need to be fully aligned even after
bouncing around for weeks from city to city.

I think they got the idea to sell them when doing their demos that
many wanted to have the whole "setup" they were using in the demos and
classes. To top it off, they even use them in their newly completed
classrooms. To me, that says a lot about the General. A whole lot -
these guys are selling accuracy.

This is the saw I'm drooling over. (c model with t-fence)

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/50220220ca.html

I don't know what model it was I looked at. But on further
reflection, I am thinking that since they hooked it up with their own
(Jointech) guides maybe they ordered the lowest end stock fence they
could. That would make sense to me - why order the high end stuff
when you are just going to take it off?

Sure looking forward to that review!!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

I have decided on a General (General Industrial is an off-shore
version). They're worth looking into.

errrrmmmmm *BUZZER SOUND*
I mean General International...

Have no fear, youknowwho will eventually see it and correct you. AAMOF, I
can see the laser sight beam zeroing in on you from here. Better duck, dude,
you're in deep **** now!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 28, 11:02 am, Robatoy wrote:

I have looked at some of the General Interplanetary stuff (for those
playing along) and it looks first rate to me.

Ohhh.. I didn't know that they were importing from out there yet. ;~)

But the "General" brand just seem to remind me of the old iron days.
When the guy that turned the saw on for me looked at my face, he sure
got the expected response. It sounded like some kind of all ball
bearing fan. Just a kind of turbine sound, then up to speed
immediately.

I agree with you on that comment but different style saw blades can make a
saw sound different. ;~)
I am not saying that they had one of those "special demo blades on the saw
to make it shound like some kind of all ball bearing fan. A well built
piece of machinery does have that unmistakable smooth and kinda soothing
sound.

BTW, as a testimony to the accuracy and longevity of the General saw
line, the distributor is Jointech (their home in sunny San Antonio is
about 7 miles from my house), manufacturer of various goodies for the
table saw to make exotic joints, or just plain accurate joints.

These guys could use any saw they wanted, and they chose General, even
when they had to order them in. They liked the sturdy reliability of
the saws, and the fact they could pack them in the trailer for
woodworking shows and they didn't need to be fully aligned even after
bouncing around for weeks from city to city.

Boy that says a lot too. At the last woodworking show a major player used
that excuse to explain why their tools were not up to expectations.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

I don't know what model it was I looked at. But on further
reflection, I am thinking that since they hooked it up with their own
(Jointech) guides maybe they ordered the lowest end stock fence they
could. That would make sense to me - why order the high end stuff
when you are just going to take it off?

About three/four years ago I had the opportunity to do a few test cuts with
a Canadian made, General 350. I don't recall the fence being a problem
during the hands-on, but it may even have been an aftermarket fence.

Fence notwithstanding, to one very used to a UniSaw, the General 350 was an
impressive piece of machinery.

FWIW, and based on that brief experience, and if I did not already own a
UniSaw, I would not hesitate to go with a General 350, no matter what it
took.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 28, 12:57 pm, "Leon" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

I see that the General has a 2HP motor compared to the 3 HP on the
Grizz & Jet. Will this make much of a difference to the weekend
woodworker. I don't foresee me ripping 12/4 hardwoods. (could happen
though I suppose) I would imagine mostly I would be cutting
dimensioned woods. I have also heard that the General Int'l goods are
not up to par with the General Canada units. I have been away from
the rec for quite some time now so am a little out of touch on the
latest happenings. The General hybrid would be roughly the same price
as the Grizzly by the time I pay taxes and shipping from Woodcraft in
Minneapolis and only a hundred or so less than the Jet on special.

Geez, buying a saw is kind of like buying a car eh? Far too many
choices. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 28 Apr 2007 07:45:36 -0700, Robatoy wrote:

I have decided on a General (General Industrial is an off-shore
version). They're worth looking into.

Love my 650!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 28 Apr 2007 07:59:27 -0700, "
wrote:

I will probably be upgrading soon, too. We finally have a General
distributor here in town, and I swear the General saw I looked at
reminded me of the old Green Delta from my school shop in '70.
Everything was heavy duty, smooth, and just plain nice. The only
short coming was the fence on the one I looked didn't feel quite as
positive (could have been their setup) as others I have used.

My General 650 required a strip of self-stick "grip tape" along the
fence rail to truly lock the fence in place, as the rail paint is very
smooth. Once I did that, I can probably use it as a clamp stop!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 28, 1:20 pm, "Swingman" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message
I have decided on a General (General Industrial is an off-shore
version). They're worth looking into.

errrrmmmmm *BUZZER SOUND*
I mean General International...

Have no fear, youknowwho will eventually see it and correct you. AAMOF, I
can see the laser sight beam zeroing in on you from here. Better duck, dude,
you're in deep **** now!

LOL...as you may have noticed in other threads, I'm doing what I can
not to arouse the guy.
I immediatly clambered all over my keyboard in great haste to correct
my deadly error.
I may not be so lucky next time.
*wipes brow*

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 28, 3:46 pm, B A R R Y wrote:
On 28 Apr 2007 07:45:36 -0700, Robatoy wrote:

I have decided on a General (General Industrial is an off-shore
version). They're worth looking into.

Love my 650!

That's a sweet saw. I know it well and so do a few of them around here
and I hear nothing but kudos.
One guy has the Excalibur sliding table attachment and is very
pleased.
But I'm going to be dropping a serious nut as it is with the Bot and
all, so my 'dream' saw will have to wait.
I'm also buying a bunch of material handling solutions, ie carts and
such, new modular work tables. Take a peek...I want one of each on
this page from 'carts' on down
http://www.granquartzcanada.com/prod...#Work%20Tables

Just bought a new sander..and that's where my dream saw money is going
for now:
Take a peek at the video on the bottom of this page:

http://tinyurl.com/2wfvry

and considering that I pay 2 guys to do the sanding.... well, it's
unfortunate that I have to think like that...but...and in the meantime
I will have to put up with the voice of Clay in my head:

"Down at the well they've got a new machine
The foreman says it cuts man-power by fifteen
Yeah but that ain't natural well so old Clay would say
You see he's a horse-drawn man until his dying day"

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 28, 2:39 pm, "Swingman" wrote:
wrote in message
I don't know what model it was I looked at. But on further
reflection, I am thinking that since they hooked it up with their own
(Jointech) guides maybe they ordered the lowest end stock fence they
could. That would make sense to me - why order the high end stuff
when you are just going to take it off?

About three/four years ago I had the opportunity to do a few test cuts with
a Canadian made, General 350. I don't recall the fence being a problem
during the hands-on, but it may even have been an aftermarket fence.

Fence notwithstanding, to one very used to a UniSaw, the General 350 was an
impressive piece of machinery.

FWIW, and based on that brief experience, and if I did not already own a
UniSaw, I would not hesitate to go with a General 350, no matter what it
took.

Same here...either or...(older Unisawr though).. and I'm not so sure
one has to pay a premium for locally made stuff. I guess it all
depends on how much money the owners feel they need to make.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Just bought a new sander..and that's where my dream saw money is going
for now:

That is a big fella!!

Are sanders like this common in your industry?

I like the fact that it uses common sized sanding discs. I would hate to
pay for a special sanding disc that size.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 28, 5:56 pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

Just bought a new sander..and that's where my dream saw money is going
for now:

That is a big fella!!

I have spoken to a couple of fabricators who use them. They are quite
pleased. Many have bought an extra pad so they can do their change-ups
quicker.

Are sanders like this common in your industry?

Theyre getting to be more common. The Australian company that makes it
found a need and filled it.

I like the fact that it uses common sized sanding discs. I would hate to
pay for a special sanding disc that size.

That also makes similar patterns as the single 5" hand-held sanders,
so there's a good 'blend'.
Being an induction motor, the speed is constant as well.
Some of the feed-back mentions pretty good dust collection as well.
I'll do a review once it gets here.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 28, 3:32 pm, Robatoy wrote:
Take a peek at the video on the bottom of this page:

http://tinyurl.com/2wfvry

and considering that I pay 2 guys to do the sanding.... well, it's
unfortunate that I have to think like that...but...and in the meantime
I will have to put up with the voice of Clay in my head:

"Down at the well they've got a new machine
The foreman says it cuts man-power by fifteen
Yeah but that ain't natural well so old Clay would say
You see he's a horse-drawn man until his dying day"

I'm sorry... I really am. I know this is a serious tool. But on the
other hand, I heard Nigel Tufnel saying (paraphrased) ,"you see right
here, our amps go to eleven. And that's one more than ten, so it has
to be louder".

It was the "it has four pads which make it four times faster" part
that got me.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 29, 2:27 am, "
wrote:
On Apr 28, 3:32 pm, Robatoy wrote:

Take a peek at the video on the bottom of this page:

http://tinyurl.com/2wfvry

and considering that I pay 2 guys to do the sanding.... well, it's
unfortunate that I have to think like that...but...and in the meantime
I will have to put up with the voice of Clay in my head:

"Down at the well they've got a new machine
The foreman says it cuts man-power by fifteen
Yeah but that ain't natural well so old Clay would say
You see he's a horse-drawn man until his dying day"

I'm sorry... I really am. I know this is a serious tool. But on the
other hand, I heard Nigel Tufnel saying (paraphrased) ,"you see right
here, our amps go to eleven. And that's one more than ten, so it has
to be louder".

It was the "it has four pads which make it four times faster" part
that got me.

.....ohhh, I see what you did there...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Paul in MN" wrote in message
oups.com...

I see that the General has a 2HP motor compared to the 3 HP on the
Grizz & Jet. Will this make much of a difference to the weekend
woodworker. I don't foresee me ripping 12/4 hardwoods. (could happen
though I suppose) I would imagine mostly I would be cutting
dimensioned woods. I have also heard that the General Int'l goods are
not up to par with the General Canada units. I have been away from
the rec for quite some time now so am a little out of touch on the
latest happenings. The General hybrid would be roughly the same price
as the Grizzly by the time I pay taxes and shipping from Woodcraft in
Minneapolis and only a hundred or so less than the Jet on special.

Geez, buying a saw is kind of like buying a car eh? Far too many
choices. :-)

I believe that this particular saw with the 2hp motor is one of the newer
type hybrid Table saws, My first clue was the smallish wheels for setting
the bevel and height. Then I think I confirmed with the 2 hp motor that you
also observed. The hybrid is typically more than a contractors saw and has
some of the nice features of a typical cabinet saw. Typically the
"standard" cabinet saw has at least 3 hp and runs on 220 volt or more. As
far as the international series being up to par, that may or not be true,
they may be better in some cases. The international series are Asian built
IIRC and this may or may not be a plus.

That said, for a weekend woodworker this saw should be plenty. For many
many years I used a Craftsman 1 hp saw with a quality blade. The key to
getting the most out of your power is to use the best saw blade that you
can afford. Regardless of what brand I strongly recommend the regular kerf
vs. a thin kerf blade. While a thin kerf blade does in fact make you think
that you have increased your hp, the trade off is that your cuts are "not
always" as true as what a regular sized kerf blade will deliver. I used
thin kerf and regular kerf on the 1 hp Craftsman and once I found a premium
quality regular kerf blade I never even considered going back to a thin
kerf. I have been using a 3 hp Jet cabinet saw for the last 7 years and use
the WWII reg kerf 40 tooth blade for "All" cutting. If your sawing will
include thick cutting you may want to consider going with a standard Cabinet
saw and the 3 hp motor. I have resawed Ipe with the blade all the way up
and fully buried inside a 1x6 with no hesitation or strain from the motor.
Ipe is approximately 2.5 times harder than Oak.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ps.com...

This is the saw I'm drooling over. (c model with t-fence)

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/50220220ca.html

This particular saw is a Hybrid, right? 2hp

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 29, 11:47 am, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

ps.com...

This is the saw I'm drooling over. (c model with t-fence)

http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/50220220ca.html

This particular saw is a Hybrid, right? 2hp

Compared to their 650/350 it would be considered a hybrid. Your
description of what a hybrid is, is how see it as well. A contractor
saw with a better table and base.
But I have been around saws long enough to know that a good contractor
saw is better than a bad cabinet saw.
And you are so right about the choice of blades... they make the truly
BIG difference.
But for me, right now, the difference in price between a 650/350 and
the smaller saw is what will pay for the shipping of the Bot.
I will build a monster outfeed table for the smaller saw with storage
underneath, that's what's on the drawing board right now. I know my
work flow pretty well and the saw will be part of the rough sizing
department, along with a cutting station for long strips.
The machining will be done by the bot, as will the cook-top and sink
cut-outs. The Bot will never be used for fun things like signs and
cabinet parts right? Right. Yuppers, for sure.
Then the machined parts will go to the fabricating section which will
be enclosed for temperature-, dust- and noise control. A part of that
will be finishing section for all the same reasons, but with way
heftier lighting.

r--- cleaning the bikes and going for a ride. I'll have a sore ass
tonight, but for different reasons than the sore ass I got when I sent
in my taxes. But if I want Freedom Fries, I have to peddle to get them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

Then the machined parts will go to the fabricating section which will
be enclosed for temperature-, dust- and noise control. A part of that
will be finishing section for all the same reasons, but with way
heftier lighting.

Is this going to be in a second building? It seemed that you mention you
have to do this in two buildings.

If so, will there be any problem with moving the materials between
buildings? Either in terms of moving carts over less than smooth surfaces
or exposure to the weather?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 29 Apr 2007 10:30:04 -0700, Robatoy wrote:

r--- cleaning the bikes and going for a ride. I'll have a sore ass
tonight, but for different reasons than the sore ass I got when I sent
in my taxes.

I've been riding pavement all week, capped off by a ~ 3 hour mountain
bike ride this morning.

We could have ridden all day, but my ride mate had a stick wind his
rear derailluer into the rear wheel of his Intense. 8^0 Gave me a
good excuse to go home and bleed the Hayes brakes on my Giant.

Nothing like a good sore ass!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 29, 5:39 pm, B A R R Y wrote:
On 29 Apr 2007 10:30:04 -0700, Robatoy wrote:

r--- cleaning the bikes and going for a ride. I'll have a sore ass
tonight, but for different reasons than the sore ass I got when I sent
in my taxes.

I've been riding pavement all week, capped off by a ~ 3 hour mountain
bike ride this morning.

We could have ridden all day, but my ride mate had a stick wind his
rear derailluer into the rear wheel of his Intense. 8^0 Gave me a
good excuse to go home and bleed the Hayes brakes on my Giant.

Nothing like a good sore ass!

Oh my, you're really into that, huh? The bike shop where I go, has
some really...ermmm..'fringe' kinda riders, but we have no mountains.
Lots of lovely laneways and paths, and some wonderful forest trails,
but nothing that would warrant an all-out bike. The big bucks get
dropped on road bikes with flat aerodynamic unobtanium spokes..like
maybe 5/10 per wheel. 10,000 dollars for a bicycle says 'into it'.
However.
This is my bike... 'cept mine is blue (2 years ago they were all Blue)
Made in Canada.
http://tinyurl.com/37z5ud
I did a couple of upgrades; alloy cranks and a couple of mud guards,
because I do ride in bad weather too..just can't be too cold, lest I
**** off my arthritis.
Notice the lard-ass saddle..came with it...that's my story...(very
comfy after a few weeks of post-winter adjustments). Angela and I
just love the peace and quiet of a bike-ride, nice change for
her...she normally runs 6 miles..every day, but she toasted her knee
during a fall last November, se we're nursing her knee back with some
bike therapy.

It was a beautiful day today and all the idiots with their crotch-
rockets were screaming up the pavement, ...sirens blaring all day, ER
personnel working over-time. The idiots didn't ride all winter...first
warm day: "let's take our 150 MPH bikes out, Garth, and drink some
beer, Garth, and get stupid, and I'll start the insurance tomorrow,
Garth..duhhh.."
" I'm going to get sooo drunk today, Garth, that I'll even be useless
as a organ donor, Garth..."

When I was 18, nothing could kill me either..and didn't..see?

It was MUCH later in life that I learned that the only sure-fire way
to get killed was to say:
"No honey, it's not the pants that makes you look fat, it's your ass
that makes you look fat."

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
ups.com...
r--- cleaning the bikes and going for a ride. I'll have a sore ass
tonight,

Ah, good ole bicycle butt. Feeeeel the pain. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote:

r--- cleaning the bikes and going for a ride. I'll have a sore ass
tonight,

Better you than me.

There has got to be a better way to get a sore rear endG.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 30, 12:20 am, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote:

r--- cleaning the bikes and going for a ride. I'll have a sore ass
tonight,

Better you than me.

There has got to be a better way to get a sore rear endG.

Waaay more information than I need....LOL.. LEW!! I never knew!!!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Waaay more information than I need....LOL.. LEW!! I never knew!!!

You mean that there was a time in my life when I could fly a bar stool
for extended periods?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

Waaay more information than I need....LOL.. LEW!! I never knew!!!

You mean that there was a time in my life when I could fly a bar stool
for extended periods?

Lew

Oh... So THAT'S what you meant! G
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 30, 1:18 am, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
Waaay more information than I need....LOL.. LEW!! I never knew!!!

You mean that there was a time in my life when I could fly a bar stool
for extended periods?

Lew

Ohhhh...*big sigh of relief* Bar-stool-ass.... now I get it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I own the Grizzly model you are considering. I wanted a Delta Unisaw
but ended up with a Grizzly because of the price. My saw arrived with
a poorly machined left miter slot. The slot was narrower towards the
front of the saw than the rear which resulted in too much slop when
using the miter. I called Grizzly and was told to send the table top
back. It took about 3 weeks to get back a replacement top ( Grizzly
paid freight both ways ). The new top was milled correctly and I have
had no other problems. I'd buy one again, although if I had the
money, I'd still prefer the Delta. In my opinion, the machining of
the table top is just about the most important factor in saw
selection. If the miter slots are not perfectly sized and parallel,
you'll have trouble switching your fence and/or miter from left to
right of the blade and building jigs that required the use of 2 slots.

On Apr 27, 2:21 pm, Paul in MN wrote:
I have been waiting some time for this as I sold off my Delta
contractor saw last fall and have been out of the country quite a bit
since then. I had settled on the Grizzly G1023SLW with the router
insert in the wing. It was out of stock until last week and I was
going to order it now since I will be coming in from offshore next
week. Now in my inbox I see Rockler has the Jet 10" 3HP left tilt for
$100.00 off and free shipping. I really don't need the router wing
insert as I have a BenchDog system with a Hitchi 12V. Any thoughts on
one over the other? Not trying to restart any Griz/Jet wars here;
just looking for experience and opinions. I'm going to order one in
the next couple of days...

TIA,

Paul (Floating in the Gulf O' Mexico)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 30, 8:02 am, Dave Herron wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tips guys. One of the things Dave mentioned is the
quality/flatness/etc. of the top. This is one of the reasons i got
rid of my delta contractor saw. The table on both side bowed slight
in towards the throat. When cutting smaller pieces the blade would
not be 90 degrees to the table as it would change as the distance out
from the blade increased. VERY frustrating. I can afford the time to
send a top back to a manufacturer if required as I am not in constant
need of my saw. This is simply a hobby for me (one of many) but I do
like to have quality equipment. I was spoiled working with a friend
when we used to build speaker cabinets. He was a stickler for quality
joints and therefore had quality equipment. It is hard to shake that
mentality/desire. I think I will hold out for that 3 HP cabinet saw
be it Jet or Grizzly.

Thanks again all for the info.

Paul

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

It was MUCH later in life that I learned that the only sure-fire way
to get killed was to say:
"No honey, it's not the pants that makes you look fat, it's your ass
that makes you look fat."

Sounds like a Darwin Award contender to me!

I've learned that there is NO safe response to "I need to lose some
weight".

Bill

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000738-4, 05/07/2007
Tested on: 5/9/2007 12:44:03 AM