Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How much is too much?

Buddy of mine wants to build Norm's Cypress bench
http://www.newyankee.com/getphoto2.cgi?1203.jpg

So we went to the local store and they have some 8/4 Cypress with a
few knots roughly 8" and 8' long. He tells us it is $5.80 BF, we
thank him and head back to work.

I whip out my handy dandy BF calculator (OK MS Excel) calculate how
much, add 20% for miscuts and knots, add the 7% for or non-seatbelt
wearing governor and get ~$400.

Does $5.80 sound right for Cypress? I can't find an online price
without placing an order.

Posted to rec.woodworking

RayV wrote:
Buddy of mine wants to build Norm's Cypress bench
http://www.newyankee.com/getphoto2.cgi?1203.jpg

So we went to the local store and they have some 8/4 Cypress with a
few knots roughly 8" and 8' long. He tells us it is $5.80 BF, we
thank him and head back to work.

I whip out my handy dandy BF calculator (OK MS Excel) calculate how
much, add 20% for miscuts and knots, add the 7% for or non-seatbelt
wearing governor and get ~$400.

Does $5.80 sound right for Cypress? I can't find an online price
without placing an order.

Try : http://www.walllumber.com/soft.asp

They have it for $3.50, but
http://www.woodworkerssource.net/Mer...Cod e=Cypress
has it for $6.99. If could be that the higher priced offer would be cheaper,
if it is closer to you, shipping wise.

--
Frank Howell

-----------------
-----------------
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article . com, RayV wrote:
Buddy of mine wants to build Norm's Cypress bench
http://www.newyankee.com/getphoto2.cgi?1203.jpg

So we went to the local store and they have some 8/4 Cypress with a
few knots roughly 8" and 8' long. He tells us it is $5.80 BF, we
thank him and head back to work.

I whip out my handy dandy BF calculator (OK MS Excel) calculate how
much, add 20% for miscuts and knots, add the 7% for or non-seatbelt
wearing governor and get ~$400.

Does $5.80 sound right for Cypress? I can't find an online price
without placing an order.

Sounds pretty salty to me. I get mine from these guys
http://hollingsworthlumber.com/search/44
and don't pay anywhere near that much, e.g. 2x8x8 for $19.92 = $1.87 / BF --
of course, Russiaville, Indiana would be a bit of a road trip for you. I can
leave after breakfast, and be back in plenty of time for lunch.

Pricing is location-dependent, of course, and there may not be any place in
New Jersey where you can buy cypress under two bucks a BF, but I've gotta
think you can find something better than $5.80 with a little time spent on the
phone. Even though cypress is a softwood, you'll probably have your best luck
with lumber dealers that advertise in the Yellow Pages that they sell
hardwoods. (Dealers that don't carry hardwoods frequently don't have any
softwoods other than spruce, pine, fir, and maybe cedar either.)

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 26 Apr 2007 11:24:05 -0700, RayV wrote:

Buddy of mine wants to build Norm's Cypress bench
http://www.newyankee.com/getphoto2.cgi?1203.jpg

So we went to the local store and they have some 8/4 Cypress with a
few knots roughly 8" and 8' long. He tells us it is $5.80 BF, we
thank him and head back to work.

I whip out my handy dandy BF calculator (OK MS Excel) calculate how
much, add 20% for miscuts and knots, add the 7% for or non-seatbelt
wearing governor and get ~$400.

Does $5.80 sound right for Cypress? I can't find an online price
without placing an order.

All depends on supply and demand. That greatly varies with location.
Cypress is plentiful here, redwood is not.
Posted to rec.woodworking

No, it doesn't. Last time I was at Monteath in Old Bridge, NJ I seem
to recall Cypress going for something like $3 BF for 4/4. Can't see
why 8/4 would be almost double.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RayV" wrote in message
ups.com...
Buddy of mine wants to build Norm's Cypress bench
http://www.newyankee.com/getphoto2.cgi?1203.jpg

So we went to the local store and they have some 8/4 Cypress with a
few knots roughly 8" and 8' long. He tells us it is $5.80 BF, we
thank him and head back to work.

I whip out my handy dandy BF calculator (OK MS Excel) calculate how
much, add 20% for miscuts and knots, add the 7% for or non-seatbelt
wearing governor and get ~$400.

Does $5.80 sound right for Cypress? I can't find an online price
without placing an order.

It would be a steal compared to the last time I priced it! I was thinking of
building Norm's table too, but 4/4 Cypress was $11 a foot in my area! It
would have been a $1000 table!
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg O" wrote in message
I whip out my handy dandy BF calculator (OK MS Excel) calculate how
much, add 20% for miscuts and knots, add the 7% for or non-seatbelt
wearing governor and get ~$400.

Does $5.80 sound right for Cypress? I can't find an online price
without placing an order.

It would be a steal compared to the last time I priced it! I was thinking
of building Norm's table too, but 4/4 Cypress was $11 a foot in my area!
It would have been a $1000 table!
Greg

About four years ago I bought cypress at a very reasonable price, about
$3.50 IIRC. A year or so later, it was about $5 and the quality was not as
nice. Last time I tried to buy cypress, it was unavailable in New England
in decent quality. They said the harvest has not been very good. I ended up
buying Spanish Cedar instead. That is now in the $6 range.