Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? CLXVII

Set 167 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
| Set 167 has just been posted:
|
| http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
|

| Rob

966-- looks like a flat belt stretcher for splicing the two ends.

967--a chalk line marking tool

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
| Set 167 has just been posted:
|
| http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
|

| Rob

970a-e -- they're all parts of a computer keyboard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

969 Nipper/Come-Along (see http://handcuffs.org/gallery_nippers/index.html
for pictures of more)
970 Computer Keyboard (I know this because my old keyboard broke and I had
it in pieces and saw exactly what is in those pictures when I took it to
bits
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

I've not tried one for a while. I feel pretty dumb when I don't
have a good guess or know at least one.

965. A lap anvil?

966. Upholstery web tensioner/stretcher

967. This has to be the origination of the term Pisto Grip drill.

968. I really wanted this thing to be some type of flute, but it
sure looks like a lens in that one end.

969. I think I've seen the top tool used for whipping rope, a bit
like a fid.

970. I think these are all different shots of a computer keyboard
in different levels of undress.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"R.H." wrote in message
Set 167 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 04:14:12 -0400, "R.H."
wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

970a would be the only one I know, it sit at my finger tips and relays
this answer as I type. Sure as QWERTY is the standard.

Mark
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Apr 26, 4:42 am, "Hunter" wrote:
"R.H." wrote in message

| Set 167 has just been posted:
|
|http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
|

| Rob

966-- looks like a flat belt stretcher for splicing the two ends.

967--a chalk line marking tool

967 looks like a cable running gizmo similar to the Cable Caster you
can find in your local HD/Lowes store. You shoot the line across a
space you want to run a wire, tie the wire off at the other end, then
reel it back.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Apr 26, 4:14 am, "R.H." wrote:
Set 167 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

967 - If I'm not mistaken, that is a hand cranked drill that was
manufactured by a company started by Bill Ruger, of Sturm, Ruger &Co.
fame. I seem to recall that he tried manufacturing tools before
partnering with Sturm to make guns. Note the similarity to the grip/
receiver parts well known Ruger .22 semi-auto.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Apr 26, 4:14 am, "R.H." wrote:
Set 167 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

970- computer keyboard

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 08:05:07 -0700, alanganes wrote:
On Apr 26, 4:14 am, "R.H." wrote:
Set 167 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

967 - If I'm not mistaken, that is a hand cranked drill that was
manufactured by a company started by Bill Ruger, of Sturm, Ruger &Co.
fame. I seem to recall that he tried manufacturing tools before
partnering with Sturm to make guns. Note the similarity to the grip/
receiver parts well known Ruger .22 semi-auto.

Maybe he should have checked with Mr. Drang. ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

968 is a pointer for slide shows ... The lens usually focuses an image
of an arrow and the power cord on the other end plugs into the mains.
in the middle is the on/off button.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to R.H. :
Set 167 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

As always, posting from rec.crafts.metalworking.

965) An anvil for use in the lap. The vertical bar of the
'T' goes between the legs and is gripped by them. The
horizontal bars rest the weight on the legs, and the circular
flat area is where the work is placed.

966) I don't want this used on *me*. :-)

At a pure guess, it is for some earlier (and tougher) stages of
carding wool.

967) An interesting variant on the eggbeater drill. The crank on
the top turns the drill chuck at the "muzzle". Probably from
the late 1930s or the early 1940s at a guess (no knowledge basis
for this guess -- just purely a guess. :-)

968) A pre laser diode version of the "laser ponter". The white
button under the thumb turns on the lamp in the central bulge
and the lens at the front focuses the spot (or more likely an
arrow image) on the screen. Obviously, it needs to be plugged
in, instead of just running from batteries. The photo
certainly minimizes the power cord. :-)

969) Look like some form of a "come along" for controlling animals
at a guess.

970) This one is quite clear to me. It is a computer keyboard.

Missing the keycaps.

970a) The guides for the key bodies which press on the
white silicone rubber "springs" barely visible inside
the chimneys.

970b) The flexible circuit boards and divider insulator which
make up the switching circuits. Note that where there
are circular pads, there are also circular areas around
them which appear more transparent. There are actually
two pads -- one on the upper board, one on the lower
board, and there is an insulator board which has
circular cutouts to allow the two circles to touch (and
make contact) when the upper board is flexed by the
keys. But -- it prevents the crossing wiring from
touching.

970c) A part of the logic card, with a green LED, and a
connector to go to the cable to the computer, a couple
of resistors, three capacitors (two styles), and a
moulded plastic pin which holds the board in position
when the keyboard is fully assembled.

970d) The silicone rubber "springs" which are pressed down
by the keys. This one has all of them as part of a
single moulded sheet. Some have individual rubber
springs which have to all be placed by hand prior to the
next stage of assembly. They look like "falsies" for
Barbie dolls. :-)

970e) This looks like the body which slides down the guides
under finger pressure to push on the springs.

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to Jonathan Wilson :
969 Nipper/Come-Along (see http://handcuffs.org/gallery_nippers/index.html
for pictures of more)
970 Computer Keyboard (I know this because my old keyboard broke and I had
it in pieces and saw exactly what is in those pictures when I took it to
bits

So -- the main question is whether you got it back together
working? :-)

I have a couple of times now -- evicting all of the cat hair
from the various parts of the keyboard. Even taking some parts down to
the shop and blowing them off with compressed air. And the cat wonders
why I lift the keyboard to a shelf when she demands to take over my lap.
:-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.woodworking

"R.H." opin'd thus:

Set 167 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

I KNOW one, I KNOW one!! (I'm so excited!!!)

Number 966 is an upholsterer's webbing stretcher for chair bottoms,
and the like. I know that one because I recently had to reupholster
some chairs, and I bought one just like it.

Number 970b is an electronic circuit board of some kind, but I don't
know what kind, even with the help of the other 970 series of
pictures. (I design VLSI chips that have the same kind of wiring (only
at a much smaller scale) for a living.)

-Don

--
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to Jonathan Wilson :
969 Nipper/Come-Along (see http://handcuffs.org/gallery_nippers/index.html
for pictures of more)
970 Computer Keyboard (I know this because my old keyboard broke and I had
it in pieces and saw exactly what is in those pictures when I took it to
bits

So -- the main question is whether you got it back together
working? :-)

Before I even took it too bits, it was already broken (the wire connecting
it to the PC broke). Plus, it was full of gunk and in need of replacement
anyway
So no, I didnt fix it, I replaced it with a nice new one

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
Set 167 has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

965: Perhaps for bending and hammering metal

966: World's least practical carpet stretcher

967: Hand drill

968: Slide viewer. Or possibly kaleidoscope with its own light

969: Cart puller

970: Keyboard.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Matthew T. Russotto" wrote: There's no such thing as a free lunch, but
certain accounting practices can result in a fully-depreciated one.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Over what period would you depreciate a lunch--maybe 3 hours? OTOH, if you
buy a lunch for a client, and he remains your customer for years, I guess,
technically, you would have to depreciate it over that period ;-).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article ,
Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Matthew T. Russotto" wrote: There's no such thing as a free lunch, but
certain accounting practices can result in a fully-depreciated one.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Over what period would you depreciate a lunch--maybe 3 hours? OTOH, if you
buy a lunch for a client, and he remains your customer for years, I guess,
technically, you would have to depreciate it over that period ;-).

The odd thought which resulted in that signature was about leftovers
-- the meal would be "fully depreciated" over the course of the meal,
and any leftovers would have zero residual value.

Any resemblance to GAAP is purely coincidental, of course -- and if
such resemblance exists, quite frightening.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

They have all been answered correctly this week, more photos and a few links
have been posted on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan167-1x.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

970: upholstery strap stretching tool (fit the strap on one end
to the frame, drape over other end of the frame and impale on
the points, while levering against the frame with the rubber-bumper
edge of the tool). Just this afternoon, I watched Norm Abrams do
the same task with a vise-grip...

968: pre-laser-pen light pointer. Not something I'll miss.
(just another cord for a lecturer to trip over)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

They've all been answered correctly this week, back to the usual Thursday
for the next set. Finally got the answer page finished:

http://pzphotosan174-t6.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob,

I own climbing hooks. I use them.

The 1008 picture does not look like any climbing hooks I've ever
seen and I do not see any way in which they could possibly work
for climbing.

Do you have any further information?

--
______________________________

"R.H." wrote in message
They've all been answered correctly this week, back to the usual
Thursday
for the next set. Finally got the answer page finished:

http://pzphotosan174-t6.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

DanG wrote:

Rob,

I own climbing hooks. I use them.

The 1008 picture does not look like any climbing hooks I've ever
seen and I do not see any way in which they could possibly work
for climbing.

Do you have any further information?

The certainly don't look like modern climbing gaffs, but the safety belt
/ chain isn't like a modern one either. They look like they are
specifically for pole use, probably from telegraph days. Love that
safety catch on the chain too.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1011. We had a similar book press without the lever when from as long
ago as I can remember. After this weeks links I think book press was
short for copy book press and I and probably my parents never realized
the origional use. This could explain the description.
Karl

On Jun 16, 2:08 am, "R.H." wrote:
They've all been answered correctly this week, back to the usual Thursday
for the next set. Finally got the answer page finished:

http://pzphotosan174-t6.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 07:57:43 -0500, "DanG"
wrote:

Rob,

I own climbing hooks. I use them.

The 1008 picture does not look like any climbing hooks I've ever
seen and I do not see any way in which they could possibly work
for climbing.

Do you have any further information?

Hi Dan,

I'm not Rob, but take a look at this info from June 14 1927,
patent number 1632688:

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT1632688

or

http://www.google.com/patents/pdf/LI...4lKBTI-fEDZmEY

The diagram is subtly different from Rob's item but I would
think this design was suppose to be used for pole climbing.

Personally I've used spurs too and this design doesn't look
like something I would want to use. Then again they may work
just slicker-than-snot-on-a-doorknob too (shrug).

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Rob,

I own climbing hooks. I use them.

The 1008 picture does not look like any climbing hooks I've ever
seen and I do not see any way in which they could possibly work
for climbing.

Do you have any further information?

Hi Dan,

I'm not Rob, but take a look at this info from June 14 1927,
patent number 1632688:

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT1632688

or

http://www.google.com/patents/pdf/LI...4lKBTI-fEDZmEY

Thanks Leon! Good job on finding that, I did some searching on Google
patents but didn't have any luck. I also think that they look a little
cumbersome to be used for climbing poles, but at least they're sort of cool
looking. I would have liked to have a shot of someone wearing them, but it
was a busy day and there wasn't time for it.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
1011. We had a similar book press without the lever when from as long
ago as I can remember. After this weeks links I think book press was
short for copy book press and I and probably my parents never realized
the origional use. This could explain the description.
Karl

Thanks, sounds like a good possibility.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Leon,

I much appreciate your finding that. I am corrected, but my pole
climbing experience would make me mighty worried about trying
them.

--
______________________________

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 20:19:42 -0500, "DanG"
wrote:

Leon,

I much appreciate your finding that. I am corrected, but my pole
climbing experience would make me mighty worried about trying
them.

Hi Dan,

I would enjoy giving them a whirl, at least to climb a few
feet from the ground to see how they act/feel

I've lived long enough now to understand that things aren't
always like they appear to be. They don't look user friendly
to me, but I would want to try them out some before
condemning them completely. If they worked really though you
would think that we would have seen more of them in use...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b