Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best way to preserve the original color of teak outdoor furniture

I am buying some new teak lawn furniture. I want it to remain the
color it is, not turn grey. Is there a treatment I can use to
accomplish this?

Thanks,
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 20 Apr 2007 08:13:25 -0700, jtpr wrote:
I am buying some new teak lawn furniture. I want it to remain the
color it is, not turn grey. Is there a treatment I can use to
accomplish this?

We've had a teak set on our back deck for a few years. That deck is on
the south side of the house, in full sun all day long. The first two
years, we had no permanant sun shade (we do have a couple of "market"
umbrellas, but they can't be left open unattended due to thunderstorm
concerns). Each spring, we applied an oil finish that was suggested and
sold by the retailer we purchased the table from. It kept the teak
looking good for about half the season. The first year, I did clean and
refinish the teak at that point, and it was OK for the rest of the
season. I didn't bother the second season.

Last year, we set up a garden canopy (not this one, but something like:
http://www.acecanopy.com/cabanas.html) on the deck, and after just
cleaning the furniture, no oil, we put it under that. The teak looked
great until a nasty thunderstorm came by and wiped out the canopy. In a
matter of weeks after that, it turned grey again.

We're just now trying to decide what to do this year. I have not done
any research yet on available finishes, but I'm fairly sure there is
nothing that will be maintenance free. One of the products intended for
use on boats would probably perform the best, and probably will be the
most expensive as well. You will still need to clean and refinish the
wood periodically. The more sun/rain it is exposed to, the more often
you'll have to do it.

I am leaning toward just letting it turn grey.

--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net

Posted to rec.woodworking

"jtpr" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am buying some new teak lawn furniture. I want it to remain the
color it is, not turn grey. Is there a treatment I can use to
accomplish this?

You mean aside from paint?

I've had very good results with some mahogany furniture I coated with
Penofin Oil. It has UV inhibitors. Easy to apply and in the scheme of
things, not all that expensive as you don't use a lot. If your local
dealers don't carry it, there is a Penofin dealer on line if you do a Google
search.

Posted to rec.woodworking

That will require a "great deal" of maintenance, which
most folks are unable/unwilling to perform.

Anybody who has ever owned a boat can give you a detailed
history of teak.

You want it to stay "natural"...leave it indoors.

jtpr wrote:

I am buying some new teak lawn furniture. I want it to remain the
color it is, not turn grey. Is there a treatment I can use to
accomplish this?

Thanks,
Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

jtpr wrote:
I am buying some new teak lawn furniture. I want it to remain the
color it is, not turn grey. Is there a treatment I can use to
accomplish this?

You can't get there from here.

The only way to treat teak if you want it to maintain the color is to
become a slave to your furniture.

Probably the best way is to wipe the surface with acetone to remove
surface oils, then coat with 4-6 coats of epoxy, also sanding lightly
between coats.

Allow to cure for about a week after the last coat then apply about
4-6 coats of marine varnish that has UV inhibitors in it.

Allow 24-48 hours between coats, again sanding lightly between coats.

Maintenance:

At the sign of the first scratch in the varnish, repair it or the UV
will damage the epoxy.

(I know people who keep a nail polish bottle of varnish handy to make
scratch repairs)

As an alternate to the above, learn to enjoy gray teak. It grows on you.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 20 Apr 2007 08:13:25 -0700, jtpr wrote:

I am buying some new teak lawn furniture. I want it to remain the
color it is, not turn grey. Is there a treatment I can use to
accomplish this?

Thanks,
Jim

I use CWF on my redwood outdoor furniture. If I bring in the
furniture during the winter it will last two years, otherwise I need
to recoat every year. CWF has UV protection. The instructions day it
will dry in a day but I found it takes about a week of drying time for
the stickiness to go away. It will darken the wood. Bought it at the
BORG.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"jtpr" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am buying some new teak lawn furniture. I want it to remain the
color it is, not turn grey. Is there a treatment I can use to
accomplish this?

You mean aside from paint?

That's not going to work if it's grey paint.... :-D

Kind of a funny visual though. What's teak going for a bdft nowadays....
and PAINT it!!!

I've had very good results with some mahogany furniture I coated with
Penofin Oil. It has UV inhibitors. Easy to apply and in the scheme of
things, not all that expensive as you don't use a lot. If your local
dealers don't carry it, there is a Penofin dealer on line if you do a
Google search.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Joe wrote:

What's teak going for a bdft nowadays....
and PAINT it!!!

Plantation teak is about $18-$20 per bdft.

Forget Thai teak, it's been declared illegal.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

jtpr wrote:

I am buying some new teak lawn furniture. I want it to remain the
color it is, not turn grey. Is there a treatment I can use to
accomplish this?

Keep it in a dark, temperature and humidity-controlled room with a
nitrogen atmosphere.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 20, 11:13 am, jtpr wrote:
I am buying some new teak lawn furniture. I want it to remain the
color it is, not turn grey. Is there a treatment I can use to
accomplish this?

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,

I recently made some teak parts for my daughter's boat and did a
search on how to finish. Came accross this product Teakguard, Teak
Maintenance Kit (TGK016) at
http://www.MarineStore.com. Says that you only need to do once a
year so gave it a try. Looks good now but have no idea as to long
term results.

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 20, 11:13 am, jtpr wrote:
I am buying some new teak lawn furniture. I want it to remain the
color it is, not turn grey. Is there a treatment I can use to
accomplish this?

Thanks,
Jim

Nothing will be permanent. Oil will work for a few weeks to months
depending on the climate. Varnish will last longer in the same
climate.

For me, the best thing to to has been to clean well, sand and apply
4-6 few coats of varnish. To maintain, every 4-6 months (depending on
clilmate) very very lightly sand and add another coat. The critical
step to keeping the workload down is to not let the finish deteriorate
to the point where it is cracked and peeled. Keeping it under cover
(out of direct sunlight durning summer) is a big help.

A.M. Wood