Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? CLXVI

According to DoN. Nichols :
According to R.H. :

[ ... ]

You are correct in that it's a simple microscope with a glass plate and 45
degree mirror but it wasn't marked as being for looking at gemstones, though
I'm sure it could be used for that. It's probably more of a general purpose
device, and was tagged "microscope slide viewer".

To be a slide viewer, it should have a frosted glass plate
somewhere in there. Just plain mirrors would let through artifacts of
the light source, unless it was diffused. I think that the jewel
examining tool might be the better description.

Never mind -- I now see that you were referring to prepared
microscope sides, and I was thinking of 35mm film slides. :-)

It looks as though the magnification is about right for 35mm
film slides, based on the distance from the glass surface and the
relative simplicity of the lens assembly. The other shown in your
answers page looks like a much better piece of equipment.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , Lee Michaels
wrote:

"R.H." wrote

As illustrated in the first patent link on the answer page, they are only
trying to prevent grazing of crops through a fence, normal grazing can
still
be done while wearing the poke. I guess a hungry cow or pig could eat a
lot
of corn if it was fenced in next to a field of it.

As an old farmboy, I can tell you that all domesticated animals resent being
fenced in. They test and challenge fences constantly. Fence repair is a
common chore on the farm.

I would think that one reason for such a device would be to cut down on the
wear and tear on the fences.

I have never seen one of these animal pokes though.

I can only imagine the reaction of PETA to such a thing, no matter that
it may protect the animal from injury at the wire fence.

--
I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end.
- Margaret Thatcher