Kevin

Default Newbie bookcase construction how-to question

Hi,
I'd like to build something like this for my daughter's bedroom:
http://www.ikea.ca/webapp/wcs/stores...talogId=10101&
storeId=3&productId=11499&langId=-15&parentCats=10104*10173

My dumb question is: how are these vertical "dividers" attached? I'm
guessing each one is one continuous piece from top of unit to bottom (as
oppose to separate dividers for EACH row of shelf). If so, does that mean
to make these dividers, I need to rout slots on a board to attach them to
the
shelves? I don't have a router and so I'm hoping there's another way to
attach
these dividers.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Kevin

Charlie Self

Kevin asks:

My dumb question is: how are these vertical "dividers" attached? I'm
guessing each one is one continuous piece from top of unit to bottom (as
oppose to separate dividers for EACH row of shelf). If so, does that mean
to make these dividers, I need to rout slots on a board to attach them to
the
shelves? I don't have a router and so I'm hoping there's another way to
attach
these dividers.

Years ago, I built 3-4 bookshelves similar to that. Used what you might call an
egg crate design: slotted 1/2 way on each upright and horizontal piece. I did
the main cuts with a handsaw, cut the ends with a jigsaw.

In fact, I built all the cases with a 7-1/4" PC circular saw, the 12 pt.
handsaw, the jigsaw and some clamps. They aren't pretty, but made great storage
shelves and bookshelves in the basement.

Charlie Self

"A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls."
Dan Quayle

McQualude

Kevin spaketh...

I'd like to build something like this for my daughter's bedroom:
http://www.ikea.ca/webapp/wcs/stores...ay?catalogId=1
0101& storeId=3&productId=11499&langId=-15&parentCats=10104*10173

http://tinyurl.com/kfvx
--
McQualude
peter

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 22:19:16 -0400, "Kevin"
wrote:

Hi,
I'd like to build something like this for my daughter's bedroom:
http://www.ikea.ca/webapp/wcs/stores...talogId=10101&
storeId=3&productId=11499&langId=-15&parentCats=10104*10173

My dumb question is: how are these vertical "dividers" attached? I'm
guessing each one is one continuous piece from top of unit to bottom (as
oppose to separate dividers for EACH row of shelf).

I would guess the opposite. Putting pieces of wood that long
vertically is asking for bowing. What's more, in my experience, it's
harder to do than putting in pieces between each pair of shelves.

If so, does that mean
to make these dividers, I need to rout slots on a board to attach them to
the
shelves?

Routing is a good way to go no matter which are the longer
peices. It will make for a more solid and precise structure. In the
long run, it's easier.

I don't have a router and so I'm hoping there's another way to
attach
these dividers.

You can also do this with a table saw (or even a hand-held
circular saw--but that's hard). Use a dado blade or even just your
regular blade. Once you get the hang of it, it will seem easy, and it
gives great satisfaction. (You'll be saying to people, "Look at that
dado. Have you ever seen anything more beautiful?")