Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dust collection filter vibrators for cleaning?

Are there devices that will automatically and periodically vibrate, shake or
impulse filters to shake out the dust cake that builds in the filter pleats?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"trs80" wrote in message
Are there devices that will automatically and periodically vibrate, shake
or impulse filters to shake out the dust cake that builds in the filter
pleats?

Doesn't the Jet cannister dust collection systems have a handle that you can
turn that knocks the dust out of the filters? I have seen this done in a
shop.

Posted to rec.woodworking

the rotating handle are pre built into the filter. I do not have that kind
of filter. Its similiar but without the handle. I can tap of the outside
of the filter, or blow air outside to in to break up the dust cakes and I
can see them drop into the clear plastic bag below the filter. But I was
hoping for to put something on that might do this chore on a routine
automated way.

"SWDeveloper" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 15:42:44 GMT, "trs80" wrote:

Are there devices that will automatically and periodically vibrate, shake
or
impulse filters to shake out the dust cake that builds in the filter
pleats?

Not that I know of. Like the other poster stated there are drum types
where you rotate a handle to dislodge the caked dust to the bottom.
Some caking in the pleats actually helps the filtering effect so you
need not be too concerned. What is very important is locating leaks
in your DC system.

Posted to rec.woodworking

(snip) I would like to add a vibrator that I could put
on a timer to shake the filter twice a day or so.

Therein lies the answer to the question........ --dave

"trs80" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

trs80, wrote the following at or about 4/11/2007 12:52 PM:
the rotating handle are pre built into the filter. I do not have that kind
of filter. Its similiar but without the handle. I can tap of the outside
of the filter, or blow air outside to in to break up the dust cakes and I
can see them drop into the clear plastic bag below the filter. But I was
hoping for to put something on that might do this chore on a routine
automated way.

Assuming that you do have the cartridge type filter without the internal
flapper, it shouldn't be all that hard to replicate the flapper system
found on the Jet/Dust Dog filters.

As for automating it? Why bother? You're making a major project out
of something that should only be done once in a great while anyways.
Consider also that if you automate the process, you should probably
include a circuit that will prevent it from cycling while the DC is
powered up (Surely won't knock anything loose when it's running). Then
too you will be cleaning it far more times than is probably necessary
and I suspect you can count on a short-lived filter canister.

Study what the Jet/Dust Dog uses to clean it and see if you can
replicate it and then leave well enough alone.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Unquestionably Confused wrote:
trim
Study what the Jet/Dust Dog uses to clean it and see if you can
replicate it and then leave well enough alone.

I find that when shaking/knocking the canister doesn't work enough, I
use a small hand-broom (think old-fashioned curling broom) to knock off
the dust. Works great, dirt cheap, will never break/clog.

--
Dekker
www.WoodworkDetails.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 11, 10:42 am, "trs80" wrote:
Are there devices that will automatically and periodically vibrate, shake or
impulse filters to shake out the dust cake that builds in the filter pleats?

Mount an old ROS to the filter and plug the sander into a christmas
tree light timer. The ROS works for me but I have not automated it as
of yet.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Such vibrators do exist, but I have not seen one, only heard of them. A
close friend was a maintenance electrician at the TXI Cement plant in TX
where huge dust collection required shaking that couldn't be done manually.
He spoke of vibratory shakers. Also, I have used vibrators of the type
concrete people use to work out "holidays" during the pour. Lots of other
options in vibrators. Easiest thing to make with an eccrentic cam. I am
always open to finding ways to save time with automation if possible, as
things get crazy during rush jobs and I don't have time to mess with
maintenance until afterwards.

"trs80" wrote in message
| Are there devices that will automatically and periodically vibrate, shake
or
| impulse filters to shake out the dust cake that builds in the filter
pleats?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes...but NOT on smaller(cheap) DC systems. THe larger commercial
units do have a feature to keep the filters clear. I doubt you
would want to pay for that feature.

trs80 wrote:

Are there devices that will automatically and periodically vibrate, shake or
impulse filters to shake out the dust cake that builds in the filter pleats?

Posted to rec.woodworking

trs80 wrote:

Are there devices that will automatically and periodically vibrate,

shake
or
impulse filters to shake out the dust cake that builds in the filter
pleats?

Of course.

Usually pneumatically operated, quite common on bag houses used in
cement plants, coal fired utilities, etc.

Requires some rather large scale to be economically viable.

As for a small home shop system, a broom handle comes to mind.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 16:16:19 GMT, Lew Hodgett
wrote:

trs80 wrote:

Are there devices that will automatically and periodically vibrate,

shake
or
impulse filters to shake out the dust cake that builds in the filter
pleats?

Of course.

Usually pneumatically operated, quite common on bag houses used in
cement plants, coal fired utilities, etc.

Requires some rather large scale to be economically viable.

As for a small home shop system, a broom handle comes to mind.

Or hit the garage sales and flea markets for one of the massagers that
you strapped onto your wrist. Then you could hook it up to a
"Clapper".

Mark
http://home.mchsi.com/~xphome/
Posted to rec.woodworking

"trs80" wrote in message
| Are there devices that will automatically and periodically vibrate, shake
or
| impulse filters to shake out the dust cake that builds in the filter
pleats?

hoseclamp this to the bag support and put it on a timer.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...mId=1611765698

scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
et...

"trs80" wrote in message
| Are there devices that will automatically and periodically vibrate,
shake
or
| impulse filters to shake out the dust cake that builds in the filter
pleats?

hoseclamp this to the bag support and put it on a timer.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...mId=1611765698

Need a vibrator?

http://www.vibco.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lee Michaels" writes:

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
. net...

"trs80" wrote in message
| Are there devices that will automatically and periodically vibrate,
shake
or
| impulse filters to shake out the dust cake that builds in the filter
pleats?

hoseclamp this to the bag support and put it on a timer.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...mId=1611765698

Looks like this is a session link. Search for Grainger item 3M564.

scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

thank you
"Lee Michaels" writes:

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
.net...

"trs80" wrote in message
| Are there devices that will automatically and periodically vibrate,
shake
or
| impulse filters to shake out the dust cake that builds in the filter
pleats?

hoseclamp this to the bag support and put it on a timer.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...mId=1611765698

Looks like this is a session link. Search for Grainger item 3M564.

scott

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
. net...
trs80 wrote:

Are there devices that will automatically and periodically vibrate,

shake
or
impulse filters to shake out the dust cake that builds in the filter
pleats?

Of course.

Usually pneumatically operated, quite common on bag houses used in cement
plants, coal fired utilities, etc.

Lew I spent most of my life with a large road construction firm. The bag
house on the asphalt plants use reverse air flow to clean the bags. Close
off one section at a time and puff some are thru with a fan. 600 bags 8 feet
long 8 inch diamater. how is that for a dust collector.
Virgle

Posted to rec.woodworking

Scott Lurndal wrote:
"trs80" wrote in message
| Are there devices that will automatically and periodically vibrate, shake
or
| impulse filters to shake out the dust cake that builds in the filter
pleats?

hoseclamp this to the bag support and put it on a timer.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...mId=1611765698

scott

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...seItem=3X7 98

Now THIS is interesting ... looks like I could substitute it for my
Reeves drive pulley.
--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000733-1, 04/13/2007
Tested on: 4/14/2007 1:27:48 AM