Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Creating a Panel fitted in an old radio

I am currently converting an antique radio into a computer case. Circa
1930s. The back is open and originally has a cardboard-like material.
I am having trouble figuring out how to fit a MDF panel to sit flush
with the back (effectivly inset in the radio's back.) but it isn't an
easy shape to fit. To make it more difficult it must be air-tight
(i'll have to put some kind of weather stripping around the edges.

in short the back panel needs to open up like a door, but when closed
is inset inside the radio's original housing.

My first tought was to try and build a board with a nail at 1 end
pointing down with a pen at the opposite end then trace the interior
boundaries and hope that I can keep the board straight as not to skew
the pattern.

Any ideas on a simpler option? I am working with 1/2 inch MDF for the
panel. I have the identical problem (sans the door part) for creating
a bottom.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Idgarad wrote:
[...]

Well, you could put some powdered chalk on the top of the lip and then
press an oversized piece of whatever you want to use for a back on it.
Might need a bit of file/plane work after you cut out the traced area.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 10, 9:53 am, "Idgarad" wrote:
[...]

If I'm picturing this correctly you have the bottom and the back off
of the case.

Get some cardboard and secure a piece to the back, reach up into the
case and trace the opening. Remove it and do the same for the
bottom. After you have the cardboard tuned you can trace that as your
pattern onto the MDF and cut it out with a jigsaw. I'd work on the
outside of the line and then sand it for the finer fit.

I like working with cardboard since it's a lot easier to "adjust"
thank wood. Cheaper too.

Good luck!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 10, 9:41 am, "bremen68" wrote:
[...]

Good luck!- Hide quoted text -

The radio is 4 feet tall, my arm isn't big enough. Should I do 1/2 of
it in that method for the back. The problem with the base is a bit
worse as the "floor" is it's semi obstructed such that I can't fit a
piece of cardboard in there (I was thinking of smashing in tinfoil to
build up a template. very convoluted to get too i.e.

Front (looking top down)
########
# #
### ###
# #
### ###

Side View at bottom
(Tilde is where the board should go)

# ~~~~~~~~~ #
## ##

The back I think I can do in two parts no problem but the floor is the
trick now. Should I just try and break it up into sections then
reassemble the pattern?

On a side note, what could I use to seal up the eedges of the door
area for a nice (in function and appearance) to restrict air flow?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Idgarad wrote:
[...]

Use cardboard that is larger then the case. Lay the case down on
the cardboard and trace the outline. Do the same for the bottom.

I presume the thickness of the case is the same all around the case. If
that is not the case you should be able to adjust for this in the next step.
Use this measurement to "redraw" the outline to the inside dimension
of the back and the bottom. While doing this you can think about
how you want to seal the back and bottom and compensate for this in
the final inside dimension.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Idgarad" wrote in news:1176217723.255923.187370
@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

snip

On a side note, what could I use to seal up the eedges of the door
area for a nice (in function and appearance) to restrict air flow?

I'm not a radio guy, but I've built more than a few computers over the
years. Why do you want to restrict airflow for a computer case? It'll
cook the insides and die pretty quickly, unless you never turn it on.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

How about using the foil as a general guide, transferring it to
cardboard, cut the cardboard into sections that you can tape together
(the tape will act like hinges), that way you can bend the piece to
fit it in and still get a relatively good fit.

Or you could go with construction paper, which would allow you a lot
more flex during the fitting process. If worse comes to worse section
off the base and do it in pieces, maybe half and half, tape them
together, cut out a cardboard mock up and go from there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10 Apr 2007 08:08:43 -0700, "Idgarad" wrote:

[...]

Is there any concern about the appearance of the *inside* of the case?

If not, place the base on a piece of cardboard and use spray/spatter
painting to outline the pattern. Use children's washable paint in a
color that's a close match to the inside of the case. Use a
toothbrush to "spatter paint" the smallest corners.

On a side note, what could I use to seal up the eedges of the door
area for a nice (in function and appearance) to restrict air flow?

Posted to rec.woodworking

how about using the solid surface/granite countertop installer's
template trick? make a pile of thin lath-like strips of wood and
assemble them into a template with hot glue in place. then lay that
over your material and trace around it.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Build a large shalow pan. Big enough for the case to sit in while lying on
it's back. Wax it up real well and build it with a draft angle. Fill with
plaster. Lay case in plaster (wax case too). You have a pattern.

"Idgarad" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Idgarad wrote:

snip

Any ideas on a simpler option? I am working with 1/2 inch MDF for
the panel. I have the identical problem (sans the door part) for
creating a bottom.

Well, you could put some powdered chalk on the top of the lip and then
press an oversized piece of whatever you want to use for a back on it.
Might need a bit of file/plane work after you cut out the traced area.

Tape a piece of paper across the back of the radio and rub the edge of a
pencil point on the paper along the edge of the case.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Nova wrote:
Idgarad wrote:

snip

Any ideas on a simpler option? I am working with 1/2 inch MDF for
the panel. I have the identical problem (sans the door part) for
creating a bottom.

Well, you could put some powdered chalk on the top of the lip and then
press an oversized piece of whatever you want to use for a back on it.
Might need a bit of file/plane work after you cut out the traced area.

Tape a piece of paper across the back of the radio and rub the edge of a
pencil point on the paper along the edge of the case.

Nah ... take it to the metrology lab and have them put it on the CMM. ;-)

Bill

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000733-0, 04/11/2007
Tested on: 4/12/2007 12:01:08 AM

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 10, 10:28 am, Patriarch wrote:
"Idgarad" wrote in news:1176217723.255923.187370
@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

snip

On a side note, what could I use to seal up the eedges of the door
area for a nice (in function and appearance) to restrict air flow?

I'm not a radio guy, but I've built more than a few computers over the
years. Why do you want to restrict airflow for a computer case? It'll
cook the insides and die pretty quickly, unless you never turn it on.

Patriarch

So I can control the air flow. If the case has too much open air it
becomes harder to get the air to move from outside the case, into the
case, and then back out. Poor airflow can generate hot spots and this
thing is going to be containing 16 hard drives. So I need to make sure
I can control the airflow. There will be a main air intake where the
old speak was with a 3 part air filter (cloth = decorative, auto-air
fliter particulate, grounded screen (charged particle catch)) then the
air flow will be split between the Hard disk housing and the rest of
the system. The disk area will be directly vented out by a 240mm
exhaust fan at low rpms) and the rest of the system will be water
cooled to ambient with some minor air flow via a 120mm fan and a
radiator (roughtle two 120s side by side)