Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Removing paraffin

I recently inherited a large amount of exotic woods that have been
dipped in a waxy substance, I'm assuming paraffin wax.

What is the best/easiest method to remove the paraffin?

Thanks,
Craig

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Craig" wrote in message
oups.com...
I recently inherited a large amount of exotic woods that have been
dipped in a waxy substance, I'm assuming paraffin wax.

What is the best/easiest method to remove the paraffin?

I hope you understand why it was coated; it would be a shame to ruin it all.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9 Apr 2007 13:16:10 -0700, "Craig"
wrote:

I recently inherited a large amount of exotic woods that have been
dipped in a waxy substance, I'm assuming paraffin wax.

What is the best/easiest method to remove the paraffin?

Thanks,
Craig

Tough one...
Put it in the freezer for a few hours the scrape off what you can. Put
some brown paper or paper towels over it then use an old iron on it.
Can't think of any solvent off hand.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Can't think of any solvent off hand.

Would mineral spirits work?
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Craig" wrote in message
I recently inherited a large amount of exotic woods that have been
dipped in a waxy substance, I'm assuming paraffin wax.

What is the best/easiest method to remove the paraffin?

I've used a Hyde paint scrapper, like the one in the link below, to good
effect for that task. Generally takes it right off with little effort.

http://paint-and-supplies.hardwarest...r--671744.aspx

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 09 Apr 2007 20:52:33 GMT, "Wade Lippman"
wrote:

"Craig" wrote in message
roups.com...
I recently inherited a large amount of exotic woods that have been
dipped in a waxy substance, I'm assuming paraffin wax.

What is the best/easiest method to remove the paraffin?

I hope you understand why it was coated; it would be a shame to ruin it all.

Yes, removing the paraffin could make the wood split or crack. Best
to leave it on until you are ready to use it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Craig" wrote in news:1176149770.919894.325900
@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

I recently inherited a large amount of exotic woods that have been
dipped in a waxy substance, I'm assuming paraffin wax.

What is the best/easiest method to remove the paraffin?

Thanks,
Craig

Woodturners mount it on the lathe, and turn it away. Is this the type of
stock you got? Because the lathe tools don't mind it at all.

Mineral spirits, VMP naptha or similar usually will dissolve the remnants
after a gentle scraping with whatever is at hand. It's a common approach
to slowing down the drying of the materials.

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I recently inherited a large amount of exotic woods that have been
dipped in a waxy substance, I'm assuming paraffin wax.

What is the best/easiest method to remove the paraffin?

Thanks,
Craig

Tough one...
Put it in the freezer for a few hours the scrape off what you can. Put
some brown paper or paper towels over it then use an old iron on it.
Can't think of any solvent off hand.

Paraffin means petroleum fraction. Any other lighter petroleum
fraction should work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I recently inherited a large amount of exotic woods that have been
dipped in a waxy substance, I'm assuming paraffin wax.

What is the best/easiest method to remove the paraffin?

Thanks,
Craig

Tough one...
Put it in the freezer for a few hours the scrape off what you can. Put
some brown paper or paper towels over it then use an old iron on it.
Can't think of any solvent off hand.

Paraffin means petroleum fraction. Any other lighter petroleum
fraction should work.

I thought about that, but questioned if the paraffin woould penetrate
into the wood. Might be better to scrape and/or sand it off.