Posted to rec.woodworking
JR JR is offline

Default Dust Control Grounding

I have a portable dust collector and I was wondering how to ground the hose
when I am constantly moving it around from machine to machine. I get
shocked from the outside of the hose, so I assume there's some static going
on on the inside.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 8, 11:53 am, "JR" wrote:
I have a portable dust collector and I was wondering how to ground the hose
when I am constantly moving it around from machine to machine. I get
shocked from the outside of the hose, so I assume there's some static going
on on the inside.

Lots of references online. Google Bill Pentz and click on "static
electricity" for one commonly-cited source here. Also, I believe Lee
Valley includes a little packet on grounding with all their DC
accessories, and they may have more info online.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/8/07 3:23 PM, "Upscale" wrote:

"Andy" wrote in message
I believe Lee Valley includes a little packet on grounding
with all their DC

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...44&cat=1,42401

I have one question about the LV instructions. They say that the grounding
wire in the dust collection system should be grounded at both the dust
collector and the woodworking tool. I understand the importance of a good
ground, but wouldn't ti be better to ground through a single path?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 14:48:37 -0400, Robert Haar
wrote:

On 4/8/07 3:23 PM, "Upscale" wrote:

"Andy" wrote in message
I believe Lee Valley includes a little packet on grounding
with all their DC

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...44&cat=1,42401

I have one question about the LV instructions. They say that the grounding
wire in the dust collection system should be grounded at both the dust
collector and the woodworking tool. I understand the importance of a good
ground, but wouldn't ti be better to ground through a single path?

If you get a 60hz hum in your audio equipment yes, but a ground loop
in wood working tools probably is not hurting anything.

Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618

Posted to rec.woodworking

"JR" wrote in message
news
I have a portable dust collector and I was wondering how to ground the hose
when I am constantly moving it around from machine to machine. I get
shocked from the outside of the hose, so I assume there's some static going
on on the inside.

The better flexible hose has a wire already running through it, the coiled
wire maintains the shape of the hose and comes out each end. Tie an end to
a wire that is grounded. One end if fine.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 10:53:01 -0500, "JR" wrote:

I have a portable dust collector and I was wondering how to ground the hose
when I am constantly moving it around from machine to machine. I get
shocked from the outside of the hose, so I assume there's some static going
on on the inside.

Use a short piece of stranded wire soldered to the wire in the hose
and the other end attached to an alligator clip. Sometimes I have to
solder a small piece of wire to the machine to be grounded if there is
no place to fasten the clip.