Posted to rec.woodworking
cc cc is offline

Default DC setup using garbage can and y connector

Have 2 port DC with 4' openings..FH 1200 cm model (yea, I know real CM
is less)plan on using a garbage can with port in/port out top for
catching the larger pieces priior to hitting the DC itself...if I put
a "y" off the "in" port on the lid, will I have enough suction to
dedicate one run to the saw and the other run to a secondary tool?
Can use blast gates to shut of either side as needed..

Would prefer to run a dedicated hose off one of the two ports at the
DC itself, and then a hose to the garbage can, and then "y" off the
intake port support two more tools as needed..

only envision running one tool at a time however it is set up...please
reply ASAP as I hope to start the work tonight..thanks all...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey CC,
A unit with about 1200 cfm would not effectively handle two machines
so your suggestion to use blast gates is the right way to go. How long
will the hose run? If it is very long , say 20 feet then you would
get better efficiency if you ran a long section of 4 inch PVC overhead
and dropped a hose to your machine of choice. The smooth pipe has
less friction that the rippled hoses.
I would run only one hose out of the DC and use your garbage can as
the diverter/collector. Overall, you will probably collect most of
your dust in there- depending on what type of deflector is in the
trashcan.
Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking

marc rosen wrote:
Hey CC,
A unit with about 1200 cfm would not effectively handle two machines
so your suggestion to use blast gates is the right way to go. How long
will the hose run? If it is very long , say 20 feet then you would
get better efficiency if you ran a long section of 4 inch PVC overhead
and dropped a hose to your machine of choice. The smooth pipe has
less friction that the rippled hoses.
I would run only one hose out of the DC and use your garbage can as
the diverter/collector. Overall, you will probably collect most of
your dust in there- depending on what type of deflector is in the
trashcan.
Marc

Dude, if you are going to use pvc, make sure you run a bare,grounded
wire through it. Otherwise you might go boom.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 4, 3:28 pm, shawn wrote:

Dude, if you are going to use pvc, make sure you run a bare,grounded
wire through it. Otherwise you might go boom.

Shawn.......

you have just triggered your own nomination for the urban legend
propagation award.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rodec/...king/articles/
DC_myths.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Apr 4, 3:28 pm, shawn wrote:

Dude, if you are going to use pvc, make sure you run a bare,grounded
wire through it. Otherwise you might go boom.

Shawn.......

you have just triggered your own nomination for the urban legend
propagation award.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rodec/...king/articles/
DC_myths.html

so be it. better safe than sorry.

The point is that it IS theoretically possible, and easy to guard
against. (I have seen a grain elevator go off.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey Shawn,
I neglected to mention that I did run bare wire in my DC plastic
pipes.

Marc

Dude, if you are going to use pvc, make sure you run a bare,grounded
wire through it. Otherwise you might go boom.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

It's theoretically posible (and more likely) to get hit by a meteorite too
but I'm not going to worry about it.

"shawn" wrote in message

The point is that it IS theoretically possible, and easy to guard
against. (I have seen a grain elevator go off.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

shawn wrote:

Dude, if you are going to use pvc, make sure you run a bare,grounded
wire through it. Otherwise you might go boom.

Oh criminy ... here we go again. :-(

Bill

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000730-3, 04/04/2007
Tested on: 4/5/2007 12:18:08 AM

Posted to rec.woodworking

CW wrote:
It's theoretically posible (and more likely) to get hit by a meteorite too
but I'm not going to worry about it.

Let's not forget lightning strikes, an alien landing in the back yard,
and winning Powerball. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:
CW wrote:

It's theoretically posible (and more likely) to get hit by a meteorite
too
but I'm not going to worry about it.

Let's not forget lightning strikes, an alien landing in the back yard,
and winning Powerball. G

You mean to tell me that that powerball thing is a long shot?

Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:

Let's not forget lightning strikes, an alien landing in the back yard,
and winning Powerball. G

In order of probability :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.woodworking

Play with it a little. My Delta 50-850 actually seems to run
"better" with the extra port left open while the other port
is hooked up.

My very large DC has a 3hp motor and I have to
leave all ports open to get proper air flow. If I cut the
air flow back at the unit, it slows the unit down.

cc wrote:

Have 2 port DC with 4' openings..FH 1200 cm model (yea, I know real CM
is less)plan on using a garbage can with port in/port out top for
catching the larger pieces priior to hitting the DC itself...if I put
a "y" off the "in" port on the lid, will I have enough suction to
dedicate one run to the saw and the other run to a secondary tool?
Can use blast gates to shut of either side as needed..

Would prefer to run a dedicated hose off one of the two ports at the
DC itself, and then a hose to the garbage can, and then "y" off the
intake port support two more tools as needed..

only envision running one tool at a time however it is set up...please
reply ASAP as I hope to start the work tonight..thanks all...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:

Let's not forget lightning strikes, an alien landing in the back yard,
and winning Powerball. G

In order of probability :-).

I would worry about the grounding of my home shop DC if it were powered
with an improbability drive!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 4, 6:46 pm, wrote:
On Apr 4, 3:28 pm, shawn wrote:

Dude, if you are going to use pvc, make sure you run a bare,grounded
wire through it. Otherwise you might go boom.

Shawn.......

you have just triggered your own nomination for the urban legend
propagation award.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rodec/...king/articles/
DC_myths.html

I can't say if a home system can generate enough static to cause an
explosion or fire but...

My shop-vac
sucking through a plastic hose
connected to a plastic trash can
connected to a flexible metal (Al?) dryer pipe
connected to a plastic adapter
connected to the frame of my contractor saw

can generate enough static to cause
A - a visible spark between the dryer pipe and the saw
B - a shock to me if I get in the way

Now I will probably win Powerball before this ever catches on fire but
I may get an unexpected shock while working with sharp power tools.
Luckily I have only been shocked once while underneath cleaning up but
it could happen again while working.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rodec/...yths.html#what

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Came pretty close to getting hit by lightning once.

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
CW wrote:
It's theoretically posible (and more likely) to get hit by a meteorite

too
but I'm not going to worry about it.

Let's not forget lightning strikes, an alien landing in the back yard,
and winning Powerball. G

Car Battery wiring & setup. Mobile/Setup/Coolbox john UK diy 3 August 7th 05 07:13 PM
Garbage disposer Sasha Home Repair 11 March 23rd 05 11:57 PM
garbage disposal doesn't MrAoD Home Repair 7 October 18th 04 11:37 AM
garbage disposal badgolferman Home Repair 1 August 31st 03 06:41 AM