Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Laurel? (Myrtle?)

The local lumberyard is closing out its laurel at half price; about $4/bf.
It is pretty wood that looks kinda like butternut, but heavier and harder.
I can't find much on it, but maybe it is myrtle; does that sound right?

One website says myrtle is $3/bf, but isn't dated. I can't find it anyplace
else.

So, is laurel a good wood to work with, and is the price reasonable?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
The local lumberyard is closing out its laurel at half price; about $4/bf.
It is pretty wood that looks kinda like butternut, but heavier and harder.
I can't find much on it, but maybe it is myrtle; does that sound right?

One website says myrtle is $3/bf, but isn't dated. I can't find it anyplace
else.

So, is laurel a good wood to work with, and is the price reasonable?

In California it's called "Laurel" or "Bay Laurel." Bay leaves come
from these trees. In Oregon it's called "Oregon Myrtle." For two years
my family lived in Mill Valley CA, which is in Marin County, on the
north side of the Golden Gate Bridge. Bay trees everywhere! My mother
never had to buy bay leaves at the grocery store the whole 2 years we
lived there.

--Steve
Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:
The local lumberyard is closing out its laurel at half price; about
$4/bf.

Can't comment on the wood, but the leaves of the laurel tree (AKA: Bay
Leaves) are a seasoning must for a lot of dishes.

Just remember, they are inedible.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Toller wrote:
The local lumberyard is closing out its laurel at half price; about
$4/bf.

Can't comment on the wood, but the leaves of the laurel tree (AKA: Bay
Leaves) are a seasoning must for a lot of dishes.

Just remember, they are inedible.

Lew

Right. You put the leaves in while cooking (usually just one or two),
then fish 'em out before serving.

The wood can have quite interesting color and figure. I have a billet
that will make a bookmatched top for a solid-body guitar one of these
days. Here's a pictu

http://www.cyrguitars.com/FiguredMyrtleBillet01.jpg

--Steve