Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Why do we call it "Stain"?

Why do we call it "stain"?

"A soiled or discolored appearance", reads one definition. Surely
this is not our intent.

"To bring into disrepute, taint or tarnish", is another. Certainly
not that!

"A blemish on one's moral character or reputation", oh my!

"To soil with foreign matter", shameful!

It leads one to believe that the definitional progenitors speak only
of the application of foul substances to freshly prepared cherry, in
which case they might have the right of it, whilst not solving for all
instances and intents.

We must needs rehabilitate this terminology. We must prescind from
its unfortunate linguistic antecedents and embrace a more felicitous
phraseology.

One might initially and reflexively suggest the use of, "Color",
although that smacks of what the brethren at Crayola are up to.

Then again, "Enhance" might fill the bill, but it is so ensnared in
the current trend involving the ballooning of lips and breasts, to the
point of cartoonish excess, that one would not wish to be so
associated with the term.

"Fake", certainly describes the intent, albeit not the intention of
the effect of the affect (or, if that the affect of the effect?). I
would suggest the use of "Faux", but that would be a misdirection
through indirection.

Well, we are obviously in a quagmire whichever way we turn on this. It
might be best to let the wood speak for itself and not involve
ourselves in the nasty propinquity of dissimilitude and
verisimilitude.

Well, that's about it.

I haven't the slightest idea of how to solve this problem and leave
the floor open to my bettors.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

well, given that the intent of most stains (the woodworking sort, that
is) is to simulate the effects of age, the name may not be as great a
misnomer as all that....

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 26, 8:51 pm, wrote:
well, given that the intent of most stains (the woodworking sort, that
is) is to simulate the effects of age, the name may not be as great a
misnomer as all that....

Don't overlook the role stains play in the quest of homoginizing
different flitches of wood.
If one builds a single piece of furniture from a mix of white- and red
oak, ash, and others, to apply a nice heavy stain will certainly make
it all look 'the same'.
Grand Rapids furniture, from the tail end of the 19 th century to the
l950's was often stained heavily for just that purpose. There are many
examples, both historic and current.

Posted to rec.woodworking

We call it "stain" or "stained" because you can't throw it in the
washing machine with Tide and have bare wood when the cycle is over.

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 20:09:30 -0400, Tom Watson
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
news
Why do we call it "stain"?

"A soiled or discolored appearance", reads one definition. Surely
this is not our intent.

Snip

I haven't the slightest idea of how to solve this problem and leave
the floor open to my bettors.

Umm that would be because it "stains" the wood.
What prompted you to ask the question? Or should I have asked, what reason
did you have to ask that question?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tom Watson wrote:
Why do we call it "stain"?

Ever tried to get the sh%t of your hands?
regards
John
Junior Member

Location: Malaysia

[quote=Tom Watson]Why do we call it "stain"?

One might initially and reflexively suggest the use of, "Color",
although that smacks of what the brethren at Crayola are up to.

Dear Tom,
The woodpiece already has its own original "color" or "colour".
Why not use "re-color" ?

I enjoy reading your thread. It makes me thinking of so many names of so many things....and asking myself ....why why why ? Why train ? why plane ? etc.
__________________
I just like learning. The more I learn, the more I know I am not good at anything...

Last edited by Sandingdust : March 27th 07 at 06:03 AM
Posted to rec.woodworking

Amen, brother. My wife complains that it looks like I've been picking
my ass all day.

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 12:33:54 +0800, John B
wrote:

Tom Watson wrote:
Why do we call it "stain"?

Ever tried to get the sh%t of your hands?
regards
John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Using 230V 1Ph 60Hz Machines in 220/240V Country

Sandingdust wrote:

My question is : Can I use a Saw Bench (Table Saw) purchased from
America with 230V power input in my country with 220/240V at 50hz
power supply?

Not at full power or on a continuous basis, there is simply not enough
iron in 60 HZ motors to operate at 50 HZ for any length of time.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 27 Mar, 05:43, Sandingdust
wrote:

My question is : Can I use a Saw Bench (Table Saw) purchased from
America with 230V power input in my country with 220/240V at 50hz
power supply?

Single phase 230V power is compatible, although you're likely to have
to rewire the connectors and switchgear.

If you're bringing it into Europe, you're likely to have to comply
with the PUWER '98 regulations. These impose some very sensible
requirements on guards and switchgear (NVR at least, ideally a proper
starter and isolator. Certainly not one of those crappy US toggle
switches). They also have some requirements on spin-down times, which
sometimes need brakes adding to heavier machines. The UK HSE has a
good website on these things.

There's a theoretical issue over frequency, where the eddy losses are
higher at 50Hz than at 60Hz. This increases the heat dumped into the
motor and for a motor whose output power is limited by heat build-up,
then it'll still work fine, but you have to reduce the overall rating
of it. This is a minor issue in practice. Although modern motors are
"cheaply made" compared to 1950s design (which could equally well be
termed "over-weight") you'll find that Chinese manufacture is designed
for 50Hz anyway. As most hobbyist woodworking machinery runs at an
easy duty cycle anyway, long-term heat build-up isn't as much of a
problem as short-term over-current and simple Ohm losses in the
windings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Matt In Fenton wrote:
Amen, brother. My wife complains that it looks like I've been picking
my ass all day.

Come back after you've used orange Solar Lux.

It looks like you've just had major surgery. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
.. .
Snip

I haven't the slightest idea of how to solve this problem and leave
the floor open to my bettors.

Umm that would be because it "stains" the wood.
What prompted you to ask the question? Or should I have asked, what
reason did you have to ask that question?

Umm, perhaps to dust off some words we (the vast unwashed majority) don't
often get a chance to use?
Tom

--
Maker of Fine Sawdust and Thin Shavings
Take out the One to email me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Bunetta" wrote in message

Umm, perhaps to dust off some words we (the vast unwashed majority) don't
often get a chance to use?
Tom

I believe you hit the nail on the head.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 26, 8:09 pm, Tom Watson wrote:
Why do we call it "stain"?

"A soiled or discolored appearance", reads one definition. Surely
this is not our intent.

(snip)
Discolor is exactly what we are trying to do when using stain, is it
not

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
et...

Come back after you've used orange Solar Lux.

It looks like you've just had major surgery. G

Ipe dust also makes you think that you have been badly cut. The dust is
bright yellowy green until it gets dampened by sweat or a cleaner like CMT
Formula 2050. Then the dust turns Blood Red.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 26, 8:09 pm, Tom Watson wrote:

I haven't the slightest idea of how to solve this problem and leave
the floor open to my bettors.

Who's setting the odds?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Ipe dust also makes you think that you have been badly cut. The dust is
bright yellowy green until it gets dampened by sweat or a cleaner like CMT
Formula 2050. Then the dust turns Blood Red.

Ewww...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"A soiled or discolored appearance", reads one definition. Surely
this is not our intent.

(snip)
Discolor is exactly what we are trying to do when using stain, is it
not

That's a funny word.

Are we "coloring" or "discoloring"? Is that like local usage for the spring
phenomenon "unthaw"? (which happens to druive me nuts).

Perhaps it's just the pejorative form: dis'ing [sic] the coloring process.

rambling....

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

"C & S" wrote in message
.. .
"A soiled or discolored appearance", reads one definition. Surely
this is not our intent.

(snip)
Discolor is exactly what we are trying to do when using stain, is it
not

That's a funny word.

Are we "coloring" or "discoloring"? Is that like local usage for the
spring
phenomenon "unthaw"? (which happens to druive me nuts).

Being from Houston, the word "Thaw" coming from the weather reporters mouth
would be foreigh to me. ;~)
Unthaw would be to ReFreeze, no?

What drives me nuts is, the vehivle "over turned" what happened to "rolled
over"? Are they sure that the vehicle over turning was the cause of the
roll over? May be the vehicle was going straight when it rolled over.

The wrecker uprighted the over turned vehicle. Why not, the wrecker turned
the car over.

And my all time favorite form the cute young thing that was the traffic girl
and is now the news anchor,

The airplane "skidded into a crash".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 28, 9:04 am, "C & S" wrote:
"A soiled or discolored appearance", reads one definition. Surely
this is not our intent.

(snip)
Discolor is exactly what we are trying to do when using stain, is it
not

That's a funny word.

Are we "coloring" or "discoloring"? Is that like local usage for the spring
phenomenon "unthaw"? (which happens to druive me nuts).

Perhaps it's just the pejorative form: dis'ing [sic] the coloring process.

rambling....

Steve

"unthaw" that's one I've never heard. In my experience, usage of
"discolor" or "discoloration" has a negative connotation while "color"
is usually regarded positively. Now where is the Oxford English
Dictionary when I need it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 28, 10:09 am, "Leon" wrote:
"C & S" wrote in s.com...

[...]

Now we're getting into the fascinating area of common usage. I claim
some experience in this area as I have lived and worked in four
English speaking countries and the differences in usage continue to
fascinate me. "Overturned" (note: one word) sounds right to me as
does "rolled over". However, I would say that "overturned" would be
the more precise term of the two. "The wrecker uprighted the over
turned vehicle" contains some redundancy: "uprighted" implies that the
vehicle was already "overturned". "skidded into a crash" is
interesting. It doesn't bother me too much but I would be inclined to
say "skidded and crashed".

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jimbo" writes:
fascinate me. "Overturned" (note: one word) sounds right to me as
does "rolled over".

To me, rolled over is ambiguous, it could have rolled over halfway,
or all the way.

However, I would say that "overturned" would be the more precise

agreed

"skidded into a crash" is interesting. It doesn't bother me too
much but I would be inclined to say "skidded and crashed".

Unless there was an existing crash, and the driver added to it.
(Although nouning verbs is one of those things that often grates
upon me.

--
flip
Just on the border of your waking mind, There lies - Another time,
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 27, 6:02 pm, "RicodJour" wrote:
On Mar 26, 8:09 pm, Tom Watson wrote:

I haven't the slightest idea of how to solve this problem and leave
the floor open to my bettors.

Who's setting the odds?

bettor you than me...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jimbo wrote:
On Mar 26, 8:09 pm, Tom Watson wrote:
Why do we call it "stain"?

"A soiled or discolored appearance", reads one definition. Surely
this is not our intent.

(snip)
Discolor is exactly what we are trying to do when using stain, is it
not

Well, discolor or datcolor or maybe somecolor other.

;-)
Bill

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000728-2, 03/28/2007
Tested on: 3/29/2007 12:26:15 AM

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jimbo wrote:
Now we're getting into the fascinating area of common usage. I claim
some experience in this area as I have lived and worked in four
English speaking countries and the differences in usage continue to
fascinate me. "Overturned" (note: one word) sounds right to me as
does "rolled over". However, I would say that "overturned" would be
the more precise term of the two. "The wrecker uprighted the over
turned vehicle" contains some redundancy: "uprighted" implies that the
vehicle was already "overturned". "skidded into a crash" is
interesting. It doesn't bother me too much but I would be inclined to
say "skidded and crashed".

To me "skidded into a crash" implies that it collided with a
pre-existing crash.

Bill

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000728-2, 03/28/2007
Tested on: 3/29/2007 12:28:50 AM

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 27 Mar, 01:09, Tom Watson wrote:
Why do we call it "stain"?

"A soiled or discolored appearance", reads one definition. Surely
this is not our intent.

If you read the 17th century references (do you have Stalker &
Parker?) then the roots of the process are quite obviously connected
to our notions of "staining". Any recipe that begins with taking a few
handfuls of fresh horse dung and squeezing it in a cloth in the hope
that they might produce a permanent colouring on timber is clearly
desperate for any pigment that isn't fugitive, can't produce much than
a faint tint rather than a strong colour, and is probably inspired by
past laundry problems.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jimbo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Now we're getting into the fascinating area of common usageI claim
some experience in this area as I have lived and worked in four
English speaking countries and the differences in usage continue to
fascinate me. "Overturned" (note: one word) sounds right to me as
does "rolled over". However, I would say that "overturned" would be
the more precise term of the two. "The wrecker uprighted the over
turned vehicle" contains some redundancy: "uprighted" implies that the
vehicle was already "overturned". "skidded into a crash" is
interesting. It doesn't bother me too much but I would be inclined to
say "skidded and crashed".

I can understand over turned but all the local TV stations catch on fire
from the others. For years it was "the vehicle turned over". Some one
fresh out of college introduces "over turned" and mentions it a time or two
and then all the other new stations use the new "buzz" word.

A few years back indices replaced indexes. Most went back to indexes.

And yes, the airplane did skid "and" crash. The crash "not a noun" was a
result, not an object.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

Unless there was an existing crash, and the driver added to it.
(Although nouning verbs is one of those things that often grates
upon me.

A friend and I were "conversating" about that just the other day. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill in Detroit" wrote in message

To me "skidded into a crash" implies that it collided with a pre-existing
crash.

..
To clarify, the airplane went sliding off the runway through the fence into
on coming traffic on the near by road way. It and a car collided as a
result.

The airplane skidded into a crash.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

And yes, the airplane did skid "and" crash.

What if it slipped and crashed? =8^0