Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking,alt.home.repair

Default Window shutters

Right now my windows have those premade slatted window shutters that nail on
to the siding. I hate the ones that are on there right now, they aren't
proportional to the window size and attract wasp nests like magnets.

So I'm looking at replacing them with functional (not that I'd actually use
them mind you - unless there are legitimate reasons to do so) cedar
shutters.

So here is my question, my windows are 72" wide, 48" tall, which means the
shutters would have to be ~35"x50" each. If I had those on the side of my
house, attached using hinges and eye hooks would they look way out of
proportion to the rest of the house or am I too used to seeing the skinny
premades already on? Another question, assuming I want to actually use them
( we get high winds here in Seattle where I live ) what would be the
appropriate way to secure the hinges to the window frame? I'm envisioning
using long screws into the window framing but is that necessary or are there
better ways? The siding frame around the windows is basically cedar
strips - nothing structural.

Basically my design that I have in my head is 9 or 10 1x4 cedar planks
secured to 2 1x3 cedar arms, with hinges on each arm. Nice straightforward
simple design. An eyehook on the last plank would secure the shutter to the
siding or each other when closed.

Concealed insulating window shutters. Ian Stirling UK diy 6 November 27th 06 11:18 PM
Vinyl Shutters mdboulay Home Repair 3 May 4th 06 06:06 AM
Shutters ClaudCar Home Ownership 0 March 29th 05 09:30 PM
interior window shutters Newshound Woodworking 8 March 4th 05 04:48 PM
Hurricane Shutters John Anderson Home Ownership 11 September 22nd 04 11:43 PM