Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Design ideas for Cedar patio table

I'm looking for ideas on a custom (funky, you decide what that means!) red
cedar patio table to seat 6. I've googled and although there are standard
tables I'm looking for something "different". My brain is just having and
infarct and I need some direction. What have you seen that caught your eye?
I was trying to locate a 48-52" red cedar burl slab but very
alloosive....therefore I think it's going to be out of dimensional
lumber....thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 15, 7:16 am, "mcgyver" wrote:
I'm looking for ideas on a custom (funky, you decide what that means!) red
cedar patio table to seat 6. I've googled and although there are standard
tables I'm looking for something "different". My brain is just having and
infarct and I need some direction. What have you seen that caught your eye?
I was trying to locate a 48-52" red cedar burl slab but very
alloosive....therefore I think it's going to be out of dimensional
lumber....thanks

take into account the space it will be going into. make a top shape
that makes sense in that space and fit in legs or pedestal as your
tools will allow.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks, space is not a concern, 30x30 deck (yellow cedar!) It's the design
factor and wow factor that i'm after. something most people have never seen
done...... thanks
wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 15, 7:16 am, "mcgyver" wrote:
I'm looking for ideas on a custom (funky, you decide what that means!)
red
cedar patio table to seat 6. I've googled and although there are
standard
tables I'm looking for something "different". My brain is just having
and
infarct and I need some direction. What have you seen that caught your
eye?
I was trying to locate a 48-52" red cedar burl slab but very
alloosive....therefore I think it's going to be out of dimensional
lumber....thanks

take into account the space it will be going into. make a top shape
that makes sense in that space and fit in legs or pedestal as your
tools will allow.

Posted to rec.woodworking

mcgyver wrote:
Thanks, space is not a concern, 30x30 deck (yellow cedar!) It's the design
factor and wow factor that i'm after. something most people have never seen
done...... thanks
wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 15, 7:16 am, "mcgyver" wrote:
I'm looking for ideas on a custom (funky, you decide what that means!)
red
cedar patio table to seat 6. I've googled and although there are
standard
tables I'm looking for something "different". My brain is just having
and
infarct and I need some direction. What have you seen that caught your
eye?
I was trying to locate a 48-52" red cedar burl slab but very
alloosive....therefore I think it's going to be out of dimensional
lumber....thanks

take into account the space it will be going into. make a top shape
that makes sense in that space and fit in legs or pedestal as your
tools will allow.

Almost any design that can be printed in 2 dims can form the outline of
a table top. Scan a pic of a boat hull (person, building, vehicle,
animal -- whatever) turn it into a b/w outline drawing, enlarge (or
scale) it and saw around the outside of it. Then burn the essential
details in.
Voila! one of a kind art. If you make a human / animal profile, shape
the legs to match.

Bill

is worth a **** unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000724-0, 03/15/2007
Tested on: 3/15/2007 5:17:14 PM

Posted to rec.woodworking

OK, Here are a couple of Ideas.
Don't make an outdoor table make several. Four 40"x40" tables each
wtih their own legs that can also be attached together would make for
a very flexible table arrangements. You could have one long table. A
big square table or four individual tables. Moving the tables would
also be a lot easier than one great big table.

Don't use cedar. Use IPE. It is a beautiful wood and lasts forever
outside.

Make the table tops a 3 x 3 grid of 11" square holes. Route a 1/2" x
3/8" grove in each of the square holes to hold ceramic tile or natural
stone tile flush with the surface of the wood. Just lay the tile in
and don't secure it so you can change it on a whim or remove it for
moving the tables. I saw an aluminium table with an open grid like
this at home depot. They had some cheap ceramic tile in it but I
thing some granite would look really sharp!

I have been tossing around these ideas in my head for my deck and I
have yet to figure out how I want to do the legs. A single metal
pedistal leg. A metal leg on each corner. Or use a lock miter and
glue 4 pieces of IPE together to form four tapered legs. I like the
idea of IPE legs at each corner. I was thinking of using a 1" female
pipe coupeling welded to a plate on each corner then glue a 1" pipe
inside the length of the leg but 2" down from the top of the leg so
the legs could be screwed on with the IPE portion of the leg tight
against the bottom side of the table.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Somewhere out there there is a folding table design that is super
clever. It is an old missiom stickly era thing with a brilliant
mechanisim. I couldn't find it on google but did find one that folds
into a bench.

http://hometown.aol.com/luv2fly007/f...cnictable.html

Pretty clever and has plans available.

On Mar 15, 7:16 am, "mcgyver" wrote:
I'm looking for ideas on a custom (funky, you decide what that means!) red
cedar patio table to seat 6. I've googled and although there are standard
tables I'm looking for something "different". My brain is just having and
infarct and I need some direction. What have you seen that caught your eye?
I was trying to locate a 48-52" red cedar burl slab but very
alloosive....therefore I think it's going to be out of dimensional
lumber....thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Dip.

"mcgyver" wrote in message
newsTRKh.27605$DN.12740@pd7urf2no...

Bump

Posted to rec.woodworking

JT, boy...thanks for that!!! You sure did give me some good stuff to think
about there....:-( Ya, I can make a "cedar" table... jeesh I think most on
this site can.... but i don't want to make just any table... I want
something "unique", (inlays, curved base, what have you) and my creative
mind is drawing a blank, thought I might stir some comments on what others
may have thought about doing, or some picture of one they saw ect. Thanks
for the vote of confidence though......

"J T" wrote in message
Thu, Mar 15, 2007, 2:16pm (EDT+4)
(mcgyver) doth burbleth:
snip I've googled and although there are standard tables I'm looking
for something "different".snip

Let's see, you want a red cedar table. You want something
different. OK, make it out of oak. A red cedar table out of oak would
be different. Wouldn't it?

What do you MEAN by different? Most of us don't read minds. You
can always make a round table, even cut the center out and an an entry
way, so someone can distribute food without reacing over the shoulders
of people. Oe juar make two narrow tables, facing each other, but apart
by about 18 or so inches, so someone can walk between and distribute
food or whatever. Use your imagination, it's your table.

JOAT
Custom philosophizing done. No job too small; must be indoor work, with
no heavy lifting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message

Let's see, you want a red cedar table. You want something
different. OK, make it out of oak. A red cedar table out of oak would
be different. Wouldn't it?

Would you put red cedar stain on it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Why cedar? It's soft, does not hold finishes well, does not weather
particularly well horizontally, will give people slivers, and is
"snaggy" on most clothing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi, old growth cedar is readily available here in the northwest, will be
covered with a umbrella most if not all of the time. thanks

"RM MS" wrote in message
Why cedar? It's soft, does not hold finishes well, does not weather
particularly well horizontally, will give people slivers, and is
"snaggy" on most clothing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks JT, been all through the google thing...well as far as my patience
could handle. ran out of search words to focus in on tables i was looking
for. wanted to find a one of a kind custom shop that did this kind of work.
thanks though, it was helpful.
"J T" wrote in message
Sat, Mar 17, 2007, 11:19pm (EDT+4)
(mcgyver) doth clarify:
snip. I want something "unique", (inlays, curved base, what have you)
and my creative mind is drawing a blank, snip

You shoulda said.

If it was me, I'd probably start by googling images, of tables.
With a pad of paper and pencil handy. I'd save anything that caught m
eye, anything. Then I'd go thru, print out things that really
interested me, discard the rest, then sketch a table I liked. Came up
with a coffee table design I like very much that way, curved legs and
all. No prob.

If it was me, wanting a patio table, I'd probbly just make a nice
large round top, maybe with about 4 chekerboards set in around the edge,
maybe a couple of backgammon boards too. If I wanted to get fancy, I'd
go ape on the base - center leg, with maybe 8 feet, something like that
- maybe carve chicken feet. Maybe just get a big stump for the foot,
and chainsaw a Tiki out of it or sumpthin'. No prob.

JOAT
Custom philosophizing done. No job too small; must be indoor work, with
no heavy lifting.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

OK, this is my last effort. Up to you now.
http://www.ronjun-eshop.com/images/DF-411s.jpg

JOAT
Custom philosophizing done. No job too small; must be indoor work, with
no heavy lifting.

Posted to rec.woodworking

J T wrote:
OK, this is my last effort. Up to you now.
http://www.ronjun-eshop.com/images/DF-411s.jpg

JT ... where DO you get that stuff from?

Bill

is worth (much) unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000725-1, 03/19/2007
Tested on: 3/20/2007 12:04:13 AM

Posted to rec.woodworking

In one of my wifes garden magazines there was a woodworker who built a
patio table using part of an unfinished hull of an old boat as the
base. It was neat, but definitely something that required a big deck
to view properly.

On Mar 20, 12:04 am, Bill in Detroit wrote:
J T wrote:
OK, this is my last effort. Up to you now.
http://www.ronjun-eshop.com/images/DF-411s.jpg

JT ... where DO you get that stuff from?

Bill

is worth (much) unless backed up with enough genuine information to make
him really know what he's talking about.

H. P. Lovecraft

http://nmwoodworks.com

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000725-1, 03/19/2007
Tested on: 3/20/2007 12:04:13 AM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2007 ALWIL Software.http://www.avast.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Tue, Mar 20, 2007, 12:04am (Bill*in*Detroit) stares
and queries:
JT ... where DO you get that stuff from?

Simple. Google.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...+have+no+ideas

JOAT
Custom philosophizing done. No job too small; must be indoor work, with
no heavy lifting.

Q: Patio door - covering ideas? [email protected] Home Ownership 3 May 22nd 06 05:18 PM
Design Ideas for Round Table Top JGS Woodworking 5 September 26th 05 05:56 PM
ideas for wide yellow cedar glensmith Woodworking 2 March 30th 05 03:14 AM
patio design Jay Home Ownership 3 March 19th 05 10:24 AM
Design ideas - bathroom Zeke Home Repair 3 September 30th 04 10:54 AM