Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lubing my table saw gears

Well i started to get a little grinding noise last weekend from the height
adjustment on my TS. I have a grizzly 1023, FYI. So i decided to tear the
saw all apart today. Got the gears all clean and moving nicely. It looks
like what ever was there, just dried up and got hard.

What should i use to relube the gears now?

I was thinking paste wax, but was not sure if that would hold up. I am just
a weekend warroir and use the saw only on the weekends. Also i am in
central TX and it does get hot in my shop in the summer. Very easily could
hit 100 degrees.

thanks in advance, eric

Posted to rec.woodworking

Eric wrote:

What should i use to relube the gears now?

I use a roller chain aerosol spray lube.

It is graphite based and available from any bearing supply house or even
W W Grainger.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 4, 11:47 pm, "Eric" wrote:
Well i started to get a little grinding noise last weekend from the height
adjustment on my TS. I have a grizzly 1023, FYI. So i decided to tear the
saw all apart today. Got the gears all clean and moving nicely. It looks
like what ever was there, just dried up and got hard.

What should i use to relube the gears now?

I was thinking paste wax, but was not sure if that would hold up. I am just
a weekend warroir and use the saw only on the weekends. Also i am in
central TX and it does get hot in my shop in the summer. Very easily could
hit 100 degrees.

thanks in advance, eric

I use hi-temp wheel bearing grease because that is what is in my
grease gun. Seems to work fine and doesn't hold a lot of dust or
shavings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Eric wrote:

What should i use to relube the gears now?

I like something that dries, so no dust sticks.

My favorites are Boeshield and White Lightning. WL is a wax based chain
lube sold by bicycle shops.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Eric" wrote in message
news
Well i started to get a little grinding noise last weekend from the height
adjustment on my TS. I have a grizzly 1023, FYI. So i decided to tear
the saw all apart today. Got the gears all clean and moving nicely. It
looks like what ever was there, just dried up and got hard.

What should i use to relube the gears now?

I was thinking paste wax, but was not sure if that would hold up. I am
just a weekend warroir and use the saw only on the weekends. Also i am in
central TX and it does get hot in my shop in the summer. Very easily
could hit 100 degrees.

thanks in advance, eric

I have used Boeshield, and TopCote, and Triflon.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Eric" wrote:
Well i started to get a little grinding noise last weekend from the height
adjustment on my TS. I have a grizzly 1023, FYI. So i decided to tear the
saw all apart today. Got the gears all clean and moving nicely. It looks
like what ever was there, just dried up and got hard.

What should i use to relube the gears now?

Coupla years ago, somebody posted a formula here using graphite in either
beeswax or paste wax, I can't recall. Do a Google Groups search and you might
turn it up.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 4, 11:47 pm, "Eric" wrote:
Well i started to get a little grinding noise last weekend from the height
adjustment on my TS. I have a grizzly 1023, FYI. So i decided to tear the
saw all apart today. Got the gears all clean and moving nicely. It looks
like what ever was there, just dried up and got hard.

What should i use to relube the gears now?

I was thinking paste wax, but was not sure if that would hold up. I am just
a weekend warroir and use the saw only on the weekends. Also i am in
central TX and it does get hot in my shop in the summer. Very easily could
hit 100 degrees.

thanks in advance, eric

bar and chain oil works well here

Posted to rec.woodworking

In General Motors prototype shops we use Johnson's Paste Wax on all wood
machinery lead screws, ways, worm gears, surface plates, etc. Does not
hold dirt and wood dust like oil and grease, does not drip off to create
a slip-and-fall hazard either. Paraffin wax on saw, router and shaper
tables.