Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Material for homebuilt cabinets?

Hello, all!

I've been lurking this group for a few weeks now, and many thanks
for all the tips I've picked up so far. I'm a framing carpenter, and I've
just dried in a house for myself. (to live in, not to sell) I've decided
that I can get away with building my own set of cabinets, since SWMBO is
both practical and thrifty almost beyond belief.

The set is to be face frame, and painted with brush and roller.
I think I've got the construction pretty well worked out, but I've got one
question that needs to be addressed pretty soon, namely, what material for
the doors and drawer faces?

This set will be pretty plain, with just rounded over 3/4" thick
overlaid doors and faces. The choices I seem to have locally a 3/4"
veneer cored birch ply, and 3/4" MDF cored birch panel.

My problem is that I don't have any real experience with finishing
either of these. I'd expect that the ply will have some voids and grain
structure on the rounded edge that will need filling and sanding, but will
it be so much that the time involved will be ridiculous? Likewise, I'd
expect that the MDF panel will have a fair amount of "fur" on the rounded
edge that will need to be sanded down. Should the MDF be hit with something
like sanding sealer and smoothed before painting?

I've never tried to paint the edges of either product, so I'd sure
like to hear some of your experiences. Thanks!

Luke Kilpatrick.

"Well I've been to one Worlds Fair, a picnic and a rodeo, and that's
the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones!"
--Maj.Kong, "Dr Strangelove"

Homebuilt Wood Lathe J T Woodworking 28 October 24th 06 05:01 PM
homebuilt diesel motorcycles William Wixon Metalworking 9 February 25th 06 04:50 PM
Homebuilt Smoker ? Iowa883 Home Repair 5 July 25th 05 04:19 AM
Homebuilt Machine Guns Legal!!!! Toolie002 Metalworking 18 November 26th 03 11:34 PM
Homebuilt CNC Router? shovelhead Woodworking 8 November 3rd 03 07:06 PM