Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New Inexpensive Dovetail Jig

I just received a new dovetail jig I ordered at a recent show. It is
called a ChestMate and appears to be manufactured by a company called
Prazi USA.

It worked great at the show. Don't know how it is going to work for
me as I have not tried it yet. It looks incredible simple and appears
to have a short learning curve. It's possible to cut dovetails of ANY
length with ANY spacing you want. It does not do half-blind.

I think it is just being introduced and wonder if anyone in this group
has tried it yet and any problems that might have been encoutnered.

I think the price was around $125.00. It's made of cast aluminum and
like almost everything else is made in China.

Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

I just got home from work making American parts on an American made milling
machine. You'd be surprised how much is made in the US.

"Joe Bleau" wrote in message

I think the price was around $125.00. It's made of cast aluminum and
like almost everything else is made in China.

Joe

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe Bleau" wrote in message
I just received a new dovetail jig I ordered at a recent show. It is
called a ChestMate and appears to be manufactured by a company called
Prazi USA.

It worked great at the show. Don't know how it is going to work for
me as I have not tried it yet. It looks incredible simple and appears
to have a short learning curve. It's possible to cut dovetails of ANY
length with ANY spacing you want. It does not do half-blind.

I think it is just being introduced and wonder if anyone in this group
has tried it yet and any problems that might have been encoutnered.

I think the price was around $125.00. It's made of cast aluminum and
like almost everything else is made in China.

Joe

I could be missing something but it looks like it only cuts two tails and
one pin before you have to re-set it for the next set.

Posted to rec.woodworking

snip

I think the price was around $125.00. It's made of cast aluminum and
like almost everything else is made in China.

Joe

I could be missing something but it looks like it only cuts two tails and
one pin before you have to re-set it for the next set.

Correction. The brochure isn't very clear but it appears that you can cut
*one* tail *or* pin at a time and there's apparently a separate setup just
for the cleanout. Sorry 'bout that. I'm going to stick with the
traditional style although, the Stots Template Master
(http://www.stots.com/ ) for $39 looks interesting. You use the master
template to make your own jigs for HB and through doevetails out of MDF or
ply. I think I'll start a thread and ask about it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 21:33:17 -0500, "C & E"
wrote:

snip

I could be missing something but it looks like it only cuts two tails and
one pin before you have to re-set it for the next set.

Correction. The brochure isn't very clear but it appears that you can cut
*one* tail *or* pin at a time and there's apparently a separate setup just
for the cleanout. Sorry 'bout that. I'm going to stick with the
traditional style although, the Stots Template Master
(http://www.stots.com/ ) for $39 looks interesting. You use the master
template to make your own jigs for HB and through doevetails out of MDF or
ply. I think I'll start a thread and ask about it.

As I said I have not used it yet but a perusal of the brief manual
seems to indicate that one lays out the spacing on the piece one is
dovetailing and then transfers that spacing to a series of kerfs made
on a guide boad which only has to be a few inches wide by the lenth of
the piece you are DTailing. The kerfs are then cut on a table or RA
saw and they serve as a guide for the DT device. The kerfed guide is
clamped on to the piece and the device guide drops into each kerfed
slot. In other words, you drop the guide into the kerf, make you DT
cut and slide the device into the next kerf. It really seems quite
simple and easier than having to make a template for each DT operation
or go through all the fiddling necessary with Leigh and other devices.
I guess you sort of have to do that here but what can be easier than
cutting kerfs in a piece of MDF or scrap board to match the dovetails
you wish to make? Sound easy. I will report on it when I actually
cut some DTs.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Looks that way. Should be able to make a set of dovetails in under a half
day. Getting them to line up might be a trick.

"C & E" wrote in message

I could be missing something but it looks like it only cuts two tails and
one pin before you have to re-set it for the next set.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 2, 3:51 pm, Joe Bleau wrote:
I just received a new dovetail jig I ordered at a recent show. It is
called a ChestMate and appears to be manufactured by a company called
Prazi USA.

I think the price was around $125.00. It's made of cast aluminum and
like almost everything else is made in China.

Another good choice, one I own and use, is the Katie Jig. It is very
versatile, decently priced and expandable. You can see it at www.katiejig.com.
Also American made.

Michel
www.woodstoneproductions.com
Wood Portal

dovetail jig Eddie Woodworking 7 October 16th 06 11:48 PM
DOVETAIL JIG J T Woodworking 0 August 19th 06 06:16 PM
Dovetail jig -- why? alexy Woodworking 38 May 28th 05 07:48 AM
dovetail jig splinter Woodworking 14 March 30th 05 04:52 PM
New Dovetail Jig jbh Woodworking 10 January 18th 05 06:07 PM