Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Finishing a hardwood floor

On Feb 14, 9:37 am, "jack" wrote:
I have just removed the wall to wall carpet from a 12ft by 12ft
bedroom. The carpet has been down at least 30 years and it was a very
dusty job! The floor underneath seems very smooth and clean apart
from the dust and I would like to finish it myself.

I think a light sanding with my ROS followed by a clear water based
varnish.

What would be an appropriate grit to use?

Should I lay down a shellac barrier coat?

I am crazy even to attempt it?

Best Regards,
Jack

Many thanks to those who replied with good advice. I realised that my
idea of a light sanding would not do the job and I lack the skill to
use the rented sanders without gouging etc.

My local Benjamin Moore dealer recommended someone and he did a great
job at a very reasonablle price. My only task was to paint and
install new quarter round. I discovered that my spindle sander does a
great job of coping quarter round. Is this a normal method or have I
discovered a revolutionary new technique? :-)

Jack