Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Colour matching putty. (Color to my spangled friends.)

I have a whole lot of holes to fill on a project A whole bunch of
1.25" x 5.5", flat mounted wall rails in a bank. (Part of the wheel-
chair facilities.) Using wood plugs was one option I considered.
Another was to find a filler and add colour to match.

Having bouts of geekiness, I devised a plan.

I scanned in a sample of the wood I am trying to match. To make a
paint, it came up with a series of shots of pigment, that, if put into
a base colour (deep) would make a perfect match.... in paint. (This is
all done on a Benjamin Moore piece of equipment.)
I took down the numbers of each pigment.

I then scanned a swatch of dried, water based Elmers wood filler.
I then also scanned a swatch of the deep base colour on its own.
I deducted the difference in pigments and came up with the difference
between the base and the filler..
I adjusted the scanner's output to compensate the pigment shots and
made 1 qt can of coloured filler.

The wood I matched is pickled oak. The pickle ( a silver-grey/green/
paint wash) was the brain child of the collaboration between the
architect and the Credit Union's CEO's son, who thinks he's a
decorator.

Works like a charm.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Clever, but wouldn't it have been much easier just to paint it all gray?
(Grey to our friends across the pond.)