Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Stanley plane tote and knob - black paint alternative?

I've got an old Stanley plane I'm refurbishing (#4) and I'd like to
keep the tote and knob black, but I'm not all that keen on painted
handles. The old paint was two thirds of the way chipped off, so I
stripped the rest of it and sanded it smooth. Trouble is, they're two
different woods, and one has a reddish stain to it while the other is
a grey/green color. I'm thinking about trying to dye them black.
Could I use an aniline dye, or maybe india ink or something? My other
concern is that the dye will just rub off on my hands when I use the
plane. I'll probably paint them if no one has any great ideas. It
only cost me $12.00 and a couple hours of fettling so far.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've got an old Stanley plane I'm refurbishing (#4) and I'd like to
keep the tote and knob black, but I'm not all that keen on painted
handles. The old paint was two thirds of the way chipped off, so I
stripped the rest of it and sanded it smooth. Trouble is, they're two
different woods, and one has a reddish stain to it while the other is
a grey/green color. I'm thinking about trying to dye them black.
Could I use an aniline dye, or maybe india ink or something? My other
concern is that the dye will just rub off on my hands when I use the
plane. I'll probably paint them if no one has any great ideas. It
only cost me $12.00 and a couple hours of fettling so far.

JP

The knob and handle had paint on them? The only old planes I've seen from
Stanley had the wood knobs stained/varnished. What year is this one from?
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jay Pique" wrote in news:1172541055.002370.197360
@h3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

I've got an old Stanley plane I'm refurbishing (#4) and I'd like to
keep the tote and knob black, but I'm not all that keen on painted
handles. The old paint was two thirds of the way chipped off, so I
stripped the rest of it and sanded it smooth. Trouble is, they're two
different woods, and one has a reddish stain to it while the other is
a grey/green color. I'm thinking about trying to dye them black.
Could I use an aniline dye, or maybe india ink or something? My other
concern is that the dye will just rub off on my hands when I use the
plane. I'll probably paint them if no one has any great ideas. It
only cost me $12.00 and a couple hours of fettling so far.

JP

Solarlux dye, then shellac, wiped on. Several coats of the shellac.

But remember, this is a 'user', not a 'collector'. Advance accordingly.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 27, 4:04 pm, Patriarch wrote:
[...]

Oh it's a user. It's not like it's a rare Bailey or anything. Thanks
for the tip.
JP

Stanley Plane Locutus Woodworking 13 December 20th 06 07:29 PM
Announcing the new Knight-toolworks tote and knob business. Steve knight Woodworking 0 May 31st 06 04:50 AM
Stanley plane adjustment knob Michael Woodworking 2 May 11th 05 01:48 PM
Stanley combination plane 45 martin Woodworking 3 October 29th 03 06:09 PM