Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Joining two pieces of oak plywood without fancy equipment?

I'm finally putting the top on my bar (in the final weeks of a ten+
year project). I'm using 3/4" lumber core red oak veneer plywood (a
fine looking piece). The bar is 13' long, so it's gonna have a seam.
I've done all the cutting and dry fitting and it's good to go. Now I
just need to attach the two pieces together. When I butt the two
ends together, the seam is barely visible - it disappears enough for
my needs, so I think I'm almost home free. I'll probably use a bit
of wood putty to fill any imperfections, maybe making the seam even
less visible in the process. I'm wondering how I can stabilize the
joint so it doesn't crack. What are some techniques for doing this
with not much more than average DIY shop tools? Should I put glue in
the joint? Should I reinforce it from below? what about clamping?
a 13' pipe clamp seems a bit unwieldly and a 13' bar clamp doesn't
qualify as 'average DIY shop tools' . Any suggestions would surely
be appreciated.

-Mike