Posted to rec.woodworking

Default hose for compressor

I am looking for a source for a compressor hose that is flexible. I
have added a short coiled hose to my stiff hose but it tangles.
Someone must make a flexible hose...any ideas?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for a source for a compressor hose that is flexible. I
have added a short coiled hose to my stiff hose but it tangles.
Someone must make a flexible hose...any ideas?

You are looking for a rubber hose if you want a durable and more flexible
hose. Not totally flexible as it will retain a form that it prefers to be
wound up in but better than the telephone cord style hoses.

Check Amazon

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 16, 9:50 am, Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote:

I am looking for a source for a compressor hose that is flexible.

What is your definition of "flexible"?

What is the application?

Lew

Just using it on a Porter Cable pancake compressor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 16, 10:19 am, Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote:

Just using it on a Porter Cable pancake compressor.

The Home Depot special isn't going to cut it.

They are low cost ($10), but stiff as a cob.

Expect to pay $20-$30 for a flexible 3/8" x 50' hose.

Try Grainger, McMaster-Carr or an industrial supply house in your area.

Lew

Thanks for your help

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Just using it on a Porter Cable pancake compressor.

The Home Depot special isn't going to cut it.

They are low cost ($10), but stiff as a cob.

Expect to pay $20-$30 for a flexible 3/8" x 50' hose.

Try Grainger, McMaster-Carr or an industrial supply house in your area.

Lew

Thanks for your help

I got a Goodyear hose from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/GoodYear-045-
Safety-Yellow-Industrial/dp/B0000225E0/sr=8-1/qid=1171653280) and I
love it. I bought one of those PVC ones and I hated using it every
single time I got it down. It's now been relegated to the connection
between my hose reel and compressor. The Amazon link is $25.00 with
free shipping, so it's a good deal.

I got a $25 hose reel from Harbor Freight (http://
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40131) (hey,
$20 + shipping), and I really enjoy how much nicer my shop looks and
how much easier it is to use my air tools. For $45 + $8.00 shipping,
that's not bad.

-Nathan

Posted to rec.woodworking

bigsteelhead,

I don't have one of these, but found it by doing a quick Google search. It's
a 3 ft. hose with a swivel fitting on it.

http://www.brandsonsale.com/ht-001376.html

Another thought, which I've been contemplating myself, is to attach a hose
reel to handle my compressor. That would allow me to only pay out as much
hose as would be needed for the specific job.

Granted, since you are using a pancake compressor, that may not be a viable
option for you. Maybe you could mount one to an L-shaped couple of boards
and sit your compressor on top of it as ballast. I'm not sure if it would be
heavy enough to withstand pulling out the hose from the wheel. Let us know
if you do come up with something that works for you.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

"Leon" wrote in message
et...

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for a source for a compressor hose that is flexible. I
have added a short coiled hose to my stiff hose but it tangles.
Someone must make a flexible hose...any ideas?

You are looking for a rubber hose if you want a durable and more flexible
hose. Not totally flexible as it will retain a form that it prefers to be
wound up in but better than the telephone cord style hoses.

Check Amazon

Posted to rec.woodworking

I installed my HF reel over the upper, right side of the doorway between my
wood and metalworking shops so that one hose serves both (with the door
open). This arrangement seems very convenient and encourages taking a
moment to wind up the hose when I'm done working.

David Merrill

"N Hurst" wrote in message
oups.com...
snip...

I got a $25 hose reel from Harbor Freight (http://
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40131) (hey,
$20 + shipping), and I really enjoy how much nicer my shop looks and
how much easier it is to use my air tools. For $45 + $8.00 shipping,
that's not bad.

-Nathan

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for a source for a compressor hose that is flexible. I
have added a short coiled hose to my stiff hose but it tangles.
Someone must make a flexible hose...any ideas?

www.mcmaster.com

Delivered same or next business day.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R

Posted to rec.woodworking

I use the 3/8" rubber hose from HF and it works just fine for most
of what I need it for. Stay away from the plastic hoses as they get
quite stiff in the cold weather.
For really flexible I bought some 1/4" rubber fuel line (rubber) at the
auto parts store and made my own. This works well with the nail guns
as the flow demand is low and it flexes excellently.

Art

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am looking for a source for a compressor hose that is flexible. I
have added a short coiled hose to my stiff hose but it tangles.
Someone must make a flexible hose...any ideas?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 16, 12:38 pm, wrote:
I am looking for a source for a compressor hose that is flexible. I
have added a short coiled hose to my stiff hose but it tangles.
Someone must make a flexible hose...any ideas?

I bought a Rubber Hose with Reel combo @ Costco for 49.95. I tossed
out 2 PVC hoses just because of the PIA factor.

DJ

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 16, 12:27 pm, "Peter Bogiatzidis" wrote:
bigsteelhead,

I don't have one of these, but found it by doing a quick Google search. It's
a 3 ft. hose with a swivel fitting on it.

http://www.brandsonsale.com/ht-001376.html

you can also buy several kinds of swivel fittings as stand alone parts
(not connected to a whip). a number of my air tools have swivels
before the quick disconnect.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have an air hose that sounds like it would do what you want. It is Ridgid
1/4" rubber "Flex-hose", about $0.00 at my local Home Depot. I would not
use it for tools that require high volume of compressed air, but it works
fine for the finish and brad nailers that I use in my shop. I am happy with
the way it works for me. It is much easier to maneuver than the 3/8"
reinforced hose that I use for other applications and does not seem to kink
easily. I thought about the plastic coil air lines but decided that would
make sense if I had a air distribution line over my work area, but not for
the way tha I use my air powered tools.

I tried to find it on the HD web site, but could not locate it.