Posted to rec.woodworking

Default That wacky Nahm

Okay so I was watching NYW and our buddy Nahm was making a small table
with a round top. I stepped out of the room for a minute, and when I
come back Nahm had the table top, maybe somewhere in the 20" diameter
neighborhood, on the lathe at a very slow speed and was using a router
to make it round and then do some grooves on the face of it near the
edge. With a router. On a lathe.

I love the fact that Norm shows multiple ways of doing the same thing
from one episode to another, but what was he smoking before this
episode?

He then put an edge profile on it at the router table, and rather than
using a starter pin he attached this whole circular fence to the
regular fence.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

"Leuf" wrote in message
Okay so I was watching NYW and our buddy Nahm was making a small table
with a round top. I stepped out of the room for a minute, and when I
come back Nahm had the table top, maybe somewhere in the 20" diameter
neighborhood, on the lathe at a very slow speed and was using a router
to make it round and then do some grooves on the face of it near the
edge. With a router. On a lathe.

So what's the problem?

He then put an edge profile on it at the router table, and rather than
using a starter pin he attached this whole circular fence to the
regular fence.

Watch a bit closer and you will see that there was no place for the bearing
to ride. What would you have done?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 23:40:09 GMT, "CW" wrote:

"Leuf" wrote in message
.. .
Okay so I was watching NYW and our buddy Nahm was making a small table
with a round top. I stepped out of the room for a minute, and when I
come back Nahm had the table top, maybe somewhere in the 20" diameter
neighborhood, on the lathe at a very slow speed and was using a router
to make it round and then do some grooves on the face of it near the
edge. With a router. On a lathe.

So what's the problem?

I missed the setup to this so maybe you can fill in what he said his
reasoning was. For now I am sticking with crack pipe.

He then put an edge profile on it at the router table, and rather than
using a starter pin he attached this whole circular fence to the
regular fence.

Watch a bit closer and you will see that there was no place for the bearing
to ride. What would you have done?

That's not how I saw it, but I was only half watching. I thought he
said the bit had a bearing but there was nowhere to start the cut. If
that's the case then make a template, stick it on with double stick
tape, and use a starter pin.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leuf,

I think it is you that is using the crack pipe. Several years ago "Norm"
did a show on bowl turning. He visited a professional wood turner up in
Friday Harbor Washington (yes there is such a place) who turns very large,
great big, I mean humongous bowls. He uses a modified WW II aircraft parts
lathe to turn the bowls. For turning tools he uses Porter Cable router
bodies. He turns some chunks of juniper that require a fork lift to move.
So yep turning using a router is done.

--
George H Hughes
Warner Robins, GA

"Leuf" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 23:40:09 GMT, "CW" wrote:

"Leuf" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

George H Hughes wrote:

He visited a professional wood turner up in
Friday Harbor Washington (yes there is such a place) who turns very

large,
great big, I mean humongous bowls.

J R Benford, the yacht designer, as well as a lot of sailors also call
it home.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Take a look at Tom Plamann's lathe.
http://www.plamann.com/sys-tmpl/lath...athe&UID=10012

"Leuf" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 23:40:09 GMT, "CW" wrote:

"Leuf" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Take a look at Tom Plamann's lathe.
http://www.plamann.com/sys-tmpl/lath...athe&UID=10012

I bet he could make some really nice pens with that! g

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 23:49:28 -0500, "George H Hughes"
wrote:

Leuf,

I think it is you that is using the crack pipe. Several years ago "Norm"
did a show on bowl turning. He visited a professional wood turner up in
Friday Harbor Washington (yes there is such a place) who turns very large,
great big, I mean humongous bowls. He uses a modified WW II aircraft parts
lathe to turn the bowls. For turning tools he uses Porter Cable router
bodies. He turns some chunks of juniper that require a fork lift to move.
So yep turning using a router is done.

I see so because some dude has a very specialized need it makes sense
to build a whole special lathe contraption instead of some simple
circle cutting and template work.

-Leuf
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Leuf,

I think it is you that is using the crack pipe. Several years ago "Norm"
did a show on bowl turning. He visited a professional wood turner up in
Friday Harbor Washington (yes there is such a place) who turns very large,
great big, I mean humongous bowls. He uses a modified WW II aircraft parts
lathe to turn the bowls. For turning tools he uses Porter Cable router
bodies. He turns some chunks of juniper that require a fork lift to move.
So yep turning using a router is done.

I see so because some dude has a very specialized need it makes sense
to build a whole special lathe contraption instead of some simple
circle cutting and template work.

I'm a bit puzzled by the hostility. Nobody says that _you_ have to do
anything that way. If you have another method that works for you then
by all means use it.

There is no "right" way to do woodworking. As long as the piece turns
out the way you wanted it to and nobody got hurt you did it the
"right" way. Don't confuse conventional practice with some kind of
ideal.

If Nahm's thinking outside the box and coming up with a novel setup to
do a job that you might do by some more conventional approach, well,
more power to him. Might be that somewhere down the line you'll run
into a situation where his approach will make your life easier and
having seen it you'll know how to go about it.

There's also the matter of what you have in the shop. He's got a
mighty ****load of stuff in his shop that most of the rest of us
don't--some of it store bought and some of it leftover tooling and
jigging from earlier projects. If recycling a piece of that makes his
life easier then I don't see any point in putting him down for it. If
he's already got all the pieces to do it his way then it's not
"building a whole special lathe contraption", it's "using the whole
special lathe contraption that was built ten years ago and put on the
shelf after it was used for whatever it was needed for".
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
Leuf,

I think it is you that is using the crack pipe. Several years ago "Norm"
did a show on bowl turning. He visited a professional wood turner up in
Friday Harbor Washington (yes there is such a place) who turns very large,
great big, I mean humongous bowls. He uses a modified WW II aircraft parts
lathe to turn the bowls. For turning tools he uses Porter Cable router
bodies. He turns some chunks of juniper that require a fork lift to move.
So yep turning using a router is done.

I see so because some dude has a very specialized need it makes sense
to build a whole special lathe contraption instead of some simple
circle cutting and template work.

Well, the point of the show is "education" -- granted, a novel
concept.

I didn't see the show, but sounds interesting and if one were privy to
the whole process of the preplanning for the project for the show
including Norm's thinking about what to do and how to do it, I suspect
the idea of using/demonstrating novel techniques would be a
significant portion of the decisions.

That it might be considered "overkill" for a particular project
doesn't lessen the value in seeing techniques that, with some thought,
could be totally new ideas for many viewers and lead them to solutions
for their own problems that would otherwise not occur to them...

If "Nahm" were to take such criticsm for showing something other than
the same old "pin it until the glue dries" to heart, there might as
well never be a new show taped...

imo, ymmv, $0.02, etc., etc., etc., ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leuf wrote:
Okay so I was watching NYW and our buddy Nahm was making a small table
with a round top. I stepped out of the room for a minute, and when I
come back Nahm had the table top, maybe somewhere in the 20" diameter
neighborhood, on the lathe at a very slow speed and was using a router
to make it round and then do some grooves on the face of it near the
edge. With a router. On a lathe.

I love the fact that Norm shows multiple ways of doing the same thing
from one episode to another, but what was he smoking before this
episode?

He then put an edge profile on it at the router table, and rather than
using a starter pin he attached this whole circular fence to the
regular fence.

I have watched this project twice, courtesy of some travel around the
country recently.

If you study it for awhile, think you will find that it is rather
complex project.

Using the lathe spindle as a rotary shaft, was probably about as
straight forward as it gets, IMHO.

As far as the jigs and usage of the router table, his explanation was
very straight forward, again IMHO.

Lew