Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bed Question

I am working on the final details of my stickley bed. My bed is going to be
a king (76" X 80"). I don't want to screw up the width by making it to
small.

How much wiggle room should I shoot for on each side? 1/2" 1/4" ?? I think
if it's to big it will look funny, but at the same time if I make it to
small, I risk having the box spring not fit.

See ABPW for 'rough' CAD drawing. (I'm still learning this CAD stuff- No
slats drawn in yet or curves)
--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking
CC CC is offline

Mattress sizes can vary slightly between manufactures. I'd pick out a
mattress set you want
and measure it, then adjust the size to fit. If you aren't sure about the
set you want, take a trip to a
mattress store and measure several from different manufactures. I have
bought them that fit so tight
they had to be jammed in between the rails to having an inch clearance all
around. If
the rails are too tight, the cover material of the foundation will wear
excessively
in a short period of time. I would think between a 1/4 to 1/2" clearance on
both sides would work well,
and have enough room to put it in place and remove it while not allowing any
shifting,

CC

"Stoutman" .@. wrote in message
I am working on the final details of my stickley bed. My bed is going to
be a king (76" X 80"). I don't want to screw up the width by making it to
small.

How much wiggle room should I shoot for on each side? 1/2" 1/4" ?? I
think if it's to big it will look funny, but at the same time if I make it
to small, I risk having the box spring not fit.

See ABPW for 'rough' CAD drawing. (I'm still learning this CAD stuff- No
slats drawn in yet or curves)
--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

As an FYI, here are the mattress sizes that I used when making beds:

BED SIZES
Twin = 39 x 75.
Twin XL = 39 x 80.
3/4 Size = 47 1/2 x 75.
Full = 53 x 75.
Full XL = 53 x 80.
Queen = 60 x 80.
Super Queen = 66 x 80.
California King = 72 x 84.
King = 76 x 80.

I used a half inch over these sizes in length and width in sizing the
frame.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 14:23:15 -0500, "Stoutman" .@. wrote:

I am working on the final details of my stickley bed. My bed is going to be
a king (76" X 80"). I don't want to screw up the width by making it to
small.

How much wiggle room should I shoot for on each side? 1/2" 1/4" ?? I think
if it's to big it will look funny, but at the same time if I make it to
small, I risk having the box spring not fit.

See ABPW for 'rough' CAD drawing. (I'm still learning this CAD stuff- No
slats drawn in yet or curves)

I build them to have an extra 1" for the width and length.

I believe a king size box spring is two parts, you'll have to have
slats and center support.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks to all that responded. I am going with 1" of wiggle room all the way
around.

I am going after a Stickley design (Harvey Ellis). The rendering does not
have the corbels or curves in the rails. I
still can't figure out how to do curves in CAD yet. (turbocad)

Posted in ABPW

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
As an FYI, here are the mattress sizes that I used when making beds:

BED SIZES
Twin = 39 x 75.
Twin XL = 39 x 80.
3/4 Size = 47 1/2 x 75.
Full = 53 x 75.
Full XL = 53 x 80.
Queen = 60 x 80.
Super Queen = 66 x 80.
California King = 72 x 84.
King = 76 x 80.

I used a half inch over these sizes in length and width in sizing the
frame.

Thanks Tom, my old link to a site with those measurements is no longer
valid.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 28, 2:23 pm, "Stoutman" .@. wrote:
I am working on the final details of my stickley bed. My bed is going to be
a king (76" X 80"). I don't want to screw up the width by making it to
small.

How much wiggle room should I shoot for on each side? 1/2" 1/4" ?? I think
if it's to big it will look funny, but at the same time if I make it to
small, I risk having the box spring not fit.

See ABPW for 'rough' CAD drawing. (I'm still learning this CAD stuff- No
slats drawn in yet or curves)
--
Stoutmanwww.garagewoodworks.com

What does the Stickley site state for their dimensions?

-Jim