Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Wooden Sign HELP

I own a motorcycle/ATV business and I just painted up a new plywood sign
with Rustoleum paint . Now, I want it to stay looking nice for as long as
possible. What type of clear coating do I need to put over the paint . This
sign will be outside in the elements 365 days a year . I live in central
Iowa so temperatures will vary drastically .
Thanks so Much,
Raz

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 19:56:36 -0600, " Hilltop Cycle ATV"
wrote:

I own a motorcycle/ATV business and I just painted up a new plywood sign
with Rustoleum paint . Now, I want it to stay looking nice for as long as
possible. What type of clear coating do I need to put over the paint . This
sign will be outside in the elements 365 days a year . I live in central
Iowa so temperatures will vary drastically .
Thanks so Much,

Repaint it with Imron or Awlgrip or one of the other two-part
polyurethanes. Any clearcoat that is going to hold up will take the
Rust-Oleum off.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Are you saying to redo what I have already done ? Or paint over my painted
surfaces with the stuff you recommend above ?
If you are just talking about painting a clear coat over what I have already
done, please let me know where I can get it .
I do not plan on redoing what I have already done . I will just put it out
in the weather the way it is and make another sign when this one goes bad .
Thanks,
Raz

wrote:

I own a motorcycle/ATV business and I just painted up a new plywood sign
with Rustoleum paint . Now, I want it to stay looking nice for as long as
possible. What type of clear coating do I need to put over the paint .
This
sign will be outside in the elements 365 days a year . I live in central
Iowa so temperatures will vary drastically .
Thanks so Much,

Repaint it with Imron or Awlgrip or one of the other two-part
polyurethanes. Any clearcoat that is going to hold up will take the
Rust-Oleum off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 20:39:51 -0600, " Hilltop Cycle ATV"
wrote:

Are you saying to redo what I have already done ? Or paint over my painted
surfaces with the stuff you recommend above ?
If you are just talking about painting a clear coat over what I have already
done, please let me know where I can get it .
I do not plan on redoing what I have already done . I will just put it out
in the weather the way it is and make another sign when this one goes bad .

Any automotive paint store will have a two-part polyurethane clearcoat
that will stand up a long time outdoors, however it has very powerful
solvents. Don't bet on having a readable sign after you apply it.

Thanks,
Raz

.. .
wrote:

I own a motorcycle/ATV business and I just painted up a new plywood sign
with Rustoleum paint . Now, I want it to stay looking nice for as long as
possible. What type of clear coating do I need to put over the paint .
This
sign will be outside in the elements 365 days a year . I live in central
Iowa so temperatures will vary drastically .
Thanks so Much,

Repaint it with Imron or Awlgrip or one of the other two-part
polyurethanes. Any clearcoat that is going to hold up will take the
Rust-Oleum off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I own a motorcycle/ATV business and I just painted up a new plywood sign
with Rustoleum paint . Now, I want it to stay looking nice for as long as
possible. What type of clear coating do I need to put over the paint . This
sign will be outside in the elements 365 days a year . I live in central
Iowa so temperatures will vary drastically .
Thanks so Much,
Raz

I did a sign for my community theater back in the seventies. The plywood blank
had three or four coats of white Rustoleum brushed on. Then an artist friend
did the lettering. I have no idea what she used, but would venture to guess
some kind of acrylic.

The sign was then sprayed with several coats of Krylon (I think) clear acrylic
spray. Although the sign yellowed with age, it was not repainted until some
time in the mid-nineties.

This was in southeastern Pennsylvania where the weather can run from zero in
the winter to the high nineties in the summer with humidity ranging from 50 to
100%. The sign was also hanging in the direct sun for most of the day.

Posted to rec.woodworking

" Hilltop Cycle ATV" wrote in message
I own a motorcycle/ATV business and I just painted up a new plywood sign
with Rustoleum paint . Now, I want it to stay looking nice for as long as
possible. What type of clear coating do I need to put over the paint .

This
sign will be outside in the elements 365 days a year . I live in central
Iowa so temperatures will vary drastically .
Thanks so Much,
Raz

Well first off the Rustoleum is designed to cover rusted metal. Any clear
coat the manufacturer permits should extend the life.

Next time however maximize your sign life by using sign paint. This stuff
is thick and heavy with pigment (and lead, for industrial use only) See
http://www.1shot.com/products.html

--
Roger Shoaf