Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? CLIV

This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:

This week's set has just been posted:

Only 889 and not a real answer:
"Koinzidenz - Maßstab" Spelling was wrong (nitpicking; in HTML that is
ß OOMH)
"Carl Mahr esslingen aN" Really (nitpicking again), I bet it is "Esslingen"
(a city in Germany). The "aN" means "am Neckar" (at the [river] Neckar);

Carl Mahr still exists and is making fine measuring instruments (calipers,
micrometers, dial indicators etc.)
www.mahr.com

"Koinzidenz Maßstab" is coincidence scale.
In metrology, that means measuring wether events happen at the same time.
That "event" would be a length in this case. So this scale can compare two
lengths, but not measure them. I guess that there is a stop at the back of
the device.
An other way to understand coincidence is, that the marks for reading are
not lying side by side, but are overlapping. That's why it is a
glass-plate. You put it *over* the part to measure. So the etching of the
graduation has to be on the back of the glass plate.
What it *really* is used for, I don't know.

Maybe Mahr will be glad to answer that.

Nick
--
***********************************
*** Available now in NZ and AUS ***
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

884 bleachers for a Flea circus, the runner is for use in a multi sport
arena.

886 I don't know but I'll take one for my collection of hammers

888 If you push it farther down would it crimp some type of bottle cap?

889 looks like some type of photographic measuring device, used with
recon aircraft images
Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

886. Tool for reforming points on the large star drills used for making
blasting holes in mines.

The drill was heated, the tool placed over the worn point, and hit with
a BFH.

Then the drill was hardened and tempered.

--
Bring back, Oh bring back
Oh, bring back that old continuity.
Posted to rec.woodworking

#885 Smoothing tools, either for decorative plasterwork or for
sand-casting in a foundry. If there are that many, I'd guess
plastering.

#887 Flechette - air dropped anti-personnel dart, probably WW1

#889 Parallax viewer for measuring aerial photographs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

884. Wheel Chock

888. Light bulb changer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 07:25:28 -0500, Joe Gorman
wrote:

R.H. wrote:
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

884 bleachers for a Flea circus, the runner is for use in a multi sport
arena.

886 I don't know but I'll take one for my collection of hammers

886 is the size of a meat tenderiser hammer. the pattern on the head
is similar to one my mother has.

888 If you push it farther down would it crimp some type of bottle cap?

889 looks like some type of photographic measuring device, used with
recon aircraft images

I'd second that.

Joe

Stealth Pilot

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to R.H. :
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Newsgroups are working as they should, now. I was just down in
the shop until late.

So -- posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.

884) Looks like a wood version of a rub board for manual clothes
washing.

885) They sort of look like soft jaws for fitting over vise or lathe
chuck jaws to minimize marring of a finished part.

886) I don't know what it is for -- I just don't want to use it on
any of *my* workpieces.

Perhaps for breaking up stone -- or ice?

887) Fancy point for a flagpole -- with no national emblem (eagle)
involved, so it might be for a state flag.

888) Perhaps for opening up a soft (and wet) leather valve for
something like a bilge pump?

889) Interesting device.

It looks as though it is a scale for measuring the motion of
something behind it.

Or perhaps for measuring the position of something on a drawing
behind it? Or perhaps for verifying layout lines on a metal
workpiece?

You set the zero end on a reference point on the drawing or
workpiece, then note the nearest cm and mm points, and adjust to
bring one of those totally in line with the final point on the
drawing.

Now to go see what others have said, and then go to bed. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Nick Mueller" wrote in message
R.H. wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the link and the other info, I've sent Mahr an email asking about
the device.

I'm going to be away from my computer for a couple of days, so I won't be
able to reply to any comments until Sunday, answers for the first four have
been posted:

http://pzphotosan153s.blogspot.com/

My guess for 888 is that it could be some type of bander.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

886. Tool for reforming points on the large star drills used for making
blasting holes in mines.

The drill was heated, the tool placed over the worn point, and hit with
a BFH.
Then the drill was hardened and tempered.

My dad has one with the spike in the center that goes in the air hole. Funny
thing, it is a 6 point shape, while most drill heads are 4 point. It sets
the date B.C, before-carbide?
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

887. Harpoon point?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

884. Looks a bit like some pieces I have seen at museums
described for patting and handling butter.

885. My first guess is castings, etc for preventing skate
boarders to be installed on concrete/stone curbs, steps, etc.

886. I would have never guessed for reshaping rock drill bits,
but it makes some sense.

887. Fancy plumb bob, though I prefer plumb Barbie:
I went to look for this picture and just found out the one I have
is a collector's item!!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/OOP-RARE-12-OZ-NAKED-GIRL-PLUMB-BARBARA-BRUNSON-ESSER_W0QQitemZ120056319813QQihZ002QQcategoryZ1387 3QQcmdZViewItem

888. Lots of tooling, bending, and wood work. Maybe to stretch a
condom/rubber band sort of thing; but I have no idea for what.

889. Much fancier than the majority of my tools.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"R.H." wrote in message
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to DanG :

[ ... ]

888. Lots of tooling, bending, and wood work. Maybe to stretch a
condom/rubber band sort of thing; but I have no idea for what.

Hmm ... perhaps for installing the tight rubber bands used for
"painless" castration of farm animals? It is put in place, and the
"unneeded" parts simply rot and fall off because there is no
circulation to keep them alive.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

884. The hole in the end of the handle makes it look as though perhaps it
hangs on a wall although equally it could be nailed down to a floor. Not
that that helps me any.

885. They look like panel beaters dollies for forming thin metal.

886. The shape of the back end of the head would indicate that you are meant
to strike that with another hammer so I'll go along with the rock drill
reforming tool suggestion.

887. Tip of a lightning rod perhaps.

889. I would think this is used in cartography to accurately check a printed
scale on a map which maybe had a reproduction error after printing or
photocopying or to determine a scale on an aerial photograph. Imagine a
1:50000 map had a scale on it to indicate 5000 metres which was meant to be
exactly 10cm long. You'd align the zero mark on the glass tool with one end
of the map scale, zero the dial gauge and then adjust until the 10cm mark on
the tool aligned with the other end of the map scale. The dial gauge would
indicate the reproduction error and you could then calculate the resulting
inaccuracy as a percentage.
--
The internet. It's not a big truck.
It's a series of tubes.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

884 - Graduated bench stop?

885 - They look like plaster trowels. Different shapes and sizes for
different uses.

886 - Looks like a staking tool.

887 - Plumb bob?

888 -

889 - Coincidence gauge.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

888 has me stumped. Can you post some more pictures of it, with
closeups of the handle, and what looks like a leather covering over
the shaft? And those little 'button' things on the...umm, spreader
things.

Here are some more photos of it, if you click on them they should get
larger:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...05/pic888d.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...05/pic888e.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...05/pic888f.jpg

How hard is it to get the plunger part to go in? And is there anything
that might have locked it in?

It takes easy/moderate pressure to push the plunger in and I didn't see any
way to lock it in place.

Are there any scars of wear marks to provide a hint?

Doesn't seem to be much wear on it. This tool isn't mine so I'll ask the
owner to take a closer look.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
[...]

Is the leather still flexible? It almost looks like the plunger area is
designed to go inside the handle.
--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

What does the other end look like?

It's size makes me suspect that it might be used for holding cones of yarn
or thread fir the textile industry. But that is just a guess.

Paul K. Dickman

"R.H." wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Is the leather still flexible? It almost looks like the plunger area is
designed to go inside the handle.
--
Steve W.

I asked the owner of it your question, also asked if the plunger could be
locked in, and asked about the other end of the handle, here is his reply:

"No catch or latch to hold it in. It returns to full length immediately. No
opening in the end of the wooden handle.
There is drilled hole deep into the wood handle for rod and spring to escape
into when the tool is depressed.
What must appear to be leather is rubber. Like most old rubber it is hard
and has some cracks.
Only the center shaft (rod) and spring can get into the wooden part. All
metal parts are brass."

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

It looks like an easy way to put a stretchy band (rubber or spring)
around a shaft or tube. It's easy to put a rubber band around a
toilet-paper tube, but suppose the band doesn't stretch as easily and
you're using it to hold something around the shaft?

I think when you pressed against the end of the shaft, the buttons would
lie just outside the circumference of the shaft and the band would
stretch outside the buttons. Then you slip the band into place and
remove the tool.

Yes, I'm still thinking number 888 is some kind of bander, but for what
exactly I don't know.

Rob