Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Veneering technique

So far I haven't tried to veneer, preferring the "smug satisfaction" of
solid wood. But I plan to make some cigar humidors which require that
the interiors be veneered with cedar.

When it comes to interior veneers, is it preferable to apply the veneer
before or after the glue-up of the box? My suspicion is that the
interior corners will look much neater if the veneer is applied before
assembuhly (as Norm would say) but there may be some hidden pitfalls
this way.

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

"FoggyTown" wrote in message
ups.com...
So far I haven't tried to veneer, preferring the "smug satisfaction" of
solid wood. But I plan to make some cigar humidors which require that
the interiors be veneered with cedar.

When it comes to interior veneers, is it preferable to apply the veneer
before or after the glue-up of the box? My suspicion is that the
interior corners will look much neater if the veneer is applied before
assembuhly (as Norm would say) but there may be some hidden pitfalls
this way.

FoggyTown

For something that small and veneers that thin, I would attach the veneers
and assemble the box.

Actually I would attach the veneer to the board before cutting out the box
parts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

FoggyTown wrote:
: So far I haven't tried to veneer, preferring the "smug satisfaction" of
: solid wood. But I plan to make some cigar humidors which require that
: the interiors be veneered with cedar.

Why do the plans call for cedar veneer? The point of using
Spanish cedar (which is a mahogany, not a cedar) is that it
is exceptional at helping maintain the ~70% humidity cigars need.
I doubt that a veneer is going to have enough mass to hold the
moisture needed.

Whay not go for what seems to be the more standard method, which
involves building a box in a box. The interior box is made of
Spanish cedar, about 1/4" thick.

: When it comes to interior veneers, is it preferable to apply the veneer
: before or after the glue-up of the box?

Before, I guess. Or go with more standard construction (see above).

-- Andy Barss
Posted to rec.woodworking

I just built a humidor in solid mahogony with a veneered figured
bubinga top. the inside is 1/4 inch spanish ceder which i cut snugly
to shape and floats in the bottom part, for the top lip i epoxeyed the
edge pieces of ceder and put a small amount of epoxy on the
middle(interior) of the top to hold its postion while alowing for a
little movement. The spanish ceder is not for looks, it provides
humidification control for the box. spanish ceder is used due to its
rot/bug resistence. on some humidors constuction is with solid (3/4")
ceder with veneered fancy wood on the exterior. I am the furthest
thing from an expert but wanted to put in my .02

first time poster...long time reader (I've learned a lot
here....thanks guys)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 24 Jan, 16:32, "FoggyTown" wrote:
I plan to make some cigar humidors which require that
the interiors be veneered with cedar.

You can't "veneer" the insides of cigar humidors. The cedar lining is
done as "slips" instead, a loosely held thick veneer that isn't stuck
down. Think of it as a three-dimensional framed panel. Bigger ones are
thick enough to be rigid, as a simple box within a box. Humidity
inside a humidor would play havoc with any traditional veneering
techniques.

OTOH, the outside is traditionally a place to practice your best
veneering and inlay techniques.

Of course the cheap commmercial ones are done by pre-veneering the
board. They use a heat-set adhesive and a big press. You can do it this
way too, but it isn't cabinetry, it's just box making. Might as well
shop at Ikea.