Jim Mc Namara

Default Andy's bench

From: "Andy Jeffries"
Subject: Workbench, raised edges?
Date: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 10:54 AM

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:53:10 +0100, Andy Jeffries wrote:
What's the advice? Raised sides for lower dust or level sides for easier
woodworking.

OK, so given the weight of opinion coming for level sides, that was a
monumentally stupid question....

No it wasn't Andy.

Level sides it is then....

I'm planning on putting two double switched sockets at the back of the
bench. I was going to just have them flat on the top, but would I be
better of raising them (i.e. attaching a basically triangular section
about 4" deep at the back and mounting them on the face of that)?

Is there any advantage to doing that? If not, I'll KISS....

If your bench is open on all four sides and you do this - you're back to the
same situation. Keep it as clear as possible from all sides. Cheers,

Jim

Mike Patterson

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:21:28 GMT, "Jim Mc Namara"

From: "Andy Jeffries"
Date: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 10:54 AM

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:53:10 +0100, Andy Jeffries wrote:
What's the advice? Raised sides for lower dust or level sides for easier
woodworking.

OK, so given the weight of opinion coming for level sides, that was a
monumentally stupid question....

No it wasn't Andy.

Level sides it is then....

I'm planning on putting two double switched sockets at the back of the
bench. I was going to just have them flat on the top, but would I be
better of raising them (i.e. attaching a basically triangular section
about 4" deep at the back and mounting them on the face of that)?

Is there any advantage to doing that? If not, I'll KISS....

If your bench is open on all four sides and you do this - you're back to the
same situation. Keep it as clear as possible from all sides. Cheers,

Jim

I'd say raise the outlets above the surface, or at least surround them
with a ridge/lip of some kind. If you had something plugged in and
then slid a large piece across the bench top into the plug, the best
that would happen is bent prongs on the lug.

HTH
Mike

Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
Andy Jeffries

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:21:28 +0000, Jim Mc Namara wrote:
I'm planning on putting two double switched sockets at the back of the
bench. I was going to just have them flat on the top, but would I be
better of raising them (i.e. attaching a basically triangular section
about 4" deep at the back and mounting them on the face of that)?

Is there any advantage to doing that? If not, I'll KISS....

If your bench is open on all four sides and you do this - you're back to the
same situation. Keep it as clear as possible from all sides.

Thanks for the advice Jim. I'm interested in having power sockets on the
bench so that if I ever move the bench, the two double sockets come with
it.

Swingman recommended having them mounted on the front of the apron (Thanks
to Bill for the terminology). That sounds like a good idea...

Cheers,

Andy
Andy Jeffries

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 23:28:09 -0400, Mike Patterson wrote:
I'd say raise the outlets above the surface, or at least surround them
with a ridge/lip of some kind. If you had something plugged in and
then slid a large piece across the bench top into the plug, the best
that would happen is bent prongs on the lug.

When I say mounted on the surface, the actually sockets will still be
raised 10mm due to the depth of the socket plastic.

Cheers,

Andy
Bob Bowles

Agree with power strip on apron. But avoid the mistake I made by
putting the strip TOO close to the vise. I also have an extension
cord dangling above the bench.