Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Opinions about this lathe

Anyone have an opinion about this lathe?

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/266293901.html

Thanks.
Posted to rec.woodworking

anonymous wrote:
Anyone have an opinion about this lathe?

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/266293901.html

Thanks.

I see you can turn computer monitors with the lathe. Not every lathe can
do that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article .net,
says...
anonymous wrote:
Anyone have an opinion about this lathe?

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/266293901.html

Thanks.

I see you can turn computer monitors with the lathe. Not every lathe can
do that.

Those 8088s can really deliver the power.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 19:43:48 -0600, anonymous
wrote:

Anyone have an opinion about this lathe?

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/266293901.html

Thanks.

You'll get responses here, but I'll bet you'll get more on
rec.crafts.woodturning
Posted to rec.woodworking

"anonymous" wrote in message
Anyone have an opinion about this lathe?

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/266293901.html

Thanks.

Buck fifty. Not that you can't turn on it, but it's nothing recognizable as
a name or clone, which means break is broke forever most likely.
Strange-looking toolrest, that's for sure.

I've never had good experiences with bars for a bed, either.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
anonymous wrote:

Anyone have an opinion about this lathe?

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/266293901.html

Thanks.

Penn State is not a "high quality" lathe. Nothing wrong with them, I own
a bit of stuff from Penn State, but "high quality" they are not.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Anyone have an opinion about this lathe?

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/266293901.html

A couple, but take them with a grain of salt, as that isn't much of a
picture.

I don't care for the ways being tubes instead of cast iron- it not
only seems cheap, but it also makes that "banjo-type object" the
toolrest is mounted in a lot less useful, as it doesn't appear to be
capable of being set at an angle or parallel to the ways (there could
be a lot I'm missing there from the picture.)

The tool rest is wierd. Who knows, it could be an excellent design,
but it's definately an oddball.

I guess if it were me, I'd pass on it for $250. If he'd take $100, I
might try something like that out for the heck of it- but it seems a
tad expensive for an experiment to me. One would hope that Penn State
has accessories for it, but you never really know.

$250 gets you close to a Jet Midi or a Delta Mini when they go on
sale, and an extra $40-50 will put a bed extension on one if you need
that extra length. $100-150 will get you a brand new off-brand like
Wilton if you're just looking for something to mess around on, and
they're a lot closer to standard design.