Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Miter Saw Jig Question?

I'd been planning on making a saw sled and using that, but seems my
saw just doesn't stay aligned like it should. Get the blade all aligned
with the miter slot, and not too long later, instead of a kerf as wide
as the blad wind up with a kerf about 1/4". It still cuts sraight and
all, and while I didn't mind a bit of fiddling to get the fense lined up
and all, this just takes a bit more fiddling than I care to do. So,
until I get some more pennies saved up, and find a decent saw I want, I
got myself a miter saw. Been wanting one anyway, but no real need.
But, as I intend to do some semi-production cutting, thunk it would be
the time. Will possible turn the old saw into a disc sander.

What I' after is to be able to cut pieces from approx 1 3/4" X 5",
up to 5" X 5", one after another, without having to reach down and
remove them. Had this figured out with the saw sled, but hadn't
finished it when this happened, so stopped work on that. I've looked
thru my library, and been googling. Haven't come up with anything evem
c;pse.

So, I've figxured I can use a chunk of 2X4, 2X6, or 2X8, whatever,
as a base, feed from the left, using a stop for consistent sizing, then
have the base angled like a ramp o the right side of the blade. Then
when the cut's made, the piece should slide off, into a catch box.
Haven't tried this yet, and may have to tilt the saw itself, to make a
steep enough angle for the pieces to slide down out of the way. I'll
be cutting 1/2" to 3/4" ply. All cuts will be 99 degrees only.

I've got all this figured out, but want to know if anyone else has
run into a similar jig I can check out. If there's one out there, might
have something I haven't thought of, and no sense in re-inventing the
wheell if I don't have to. So, any9one seen a jig like that out there?
And, if so, will you supply the link to it?

If there's nothing out there, no biggie. What I've got figured out
will work, just haven't figured out just how I'll make the ramp on the
right side yet. But, I'll get it figured dout, no prob. Hmmm, just had
a thought, a piece of metal might be best for a ramp. But, either way,
it'll get waxed to beat Hell. By the way, waxed paper makes a good
substitute for paste wax.

JOAT
Bugrit. Millennium hand AND shrimp.

Jointech Smart Miter Jig eganders Woodworking 2 December 5th 06 12:02 PM
miter jig Patt Woodworking 12 November 26th 06 01:48 AM
Crown Molding - Anyone ever use the Compound Miter Jig Marc Home Repair 6 July 6th 06 12:24 AM
parts list and instruction manual for a delta 36-205 sliding miter jig [email protected] Woodworking 0 May 22nd 06 03:57 AM
Jig Saw question Sweet Sawdust Woodworking 13 November 26th 05 12:30 AM