Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? CLIII

The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 04:30:44 -0500, "R.H."
wrote:

,;The latest set has just been posted:
,;
,;http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

880 is an incomplete set of cork borers. There are quite a few
missing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

878: Guess... Seems to be a device for measuring/setting pitch/grade/angle.
Unless it is a trick of perspective, the right side seems to not be
perpendicular to the bottom. Why would one want to measure the angle of a
near vertical thing? My guess is a mortar aiming gauge.

879: At first sight it looks similar to stroboscopic discs used to
set/check turntable speed. But... With 6, 91 (7x13) and 182 radial
markings, it doesn't make sense for common turntable rates. I still guess
it is used as a strobe disc, but I've no idea for what.

880: Unknown has already identified a set of cork borers.

882: Traffic light? Go/stop indicator for
cars/trains/horses/dog-sleds/camel-caravans?

883: Why would anyone want to check magnetic north alignment precisely but
only over a small range? Perhaps used to carefully calibrate deviation of
magnetic north from true north. For making maps of magnetic deviation?

"R.H." wrote in message
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:

The latest set has just been posted:

878. Clinometer, for measuring angles relative to the vertical. This is
a military one and not uncommon, used for setting elevation of light
artillery, mortars or heavy machine guns.

881. Can't tell from the pictures, but it looks like a sodium press.
You stick a lump of sodium in and squidge it into spaghetti. Used as a
reagent in some chem lab processes.

883. Obviously electromagnetic, but I think it's more electro- than
geo- Probably a demonstration galvanometer, like a telegrapher's
galvo only bigger. Wrap a few turns of wire around and you'll get a
deflection depending on charge and current direction.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

879. Perhaps..... A phase disk to confirm or set the RPM's of a spinning
turn table.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

882 is an indicator to the train engineer which way the points (track
switch) are set.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

879 could be an atomizer disc for a rotary paint applicator used in a
high volume electrostatic paint booth.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"R.H." wrote in message
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

878 looks like a precision inclinometer.

880 is looks like a fixed bore gauge set for a specific item's bore;
probably a go/no-go check for a production item.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

878
Used for checking the elevation of a Howitzer.(safety N.C.O.s use them
for a quick check.. set the angle of fire and then hold it up to the
breachblock)
Clay
"R.H." wrote in message
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

878
Gunners Quadrant..
http://www.sarcoinc.com/dp19.htm

. ..
"R.H." wrote in message
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

880 is a set of "cork borers" used for drilling holes in what else but corks
in a laboratory. I last used some in the '50s.
Ray
"R.H." wrote in message
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Clay" wrote in message
. ..

878
Gunners Quadrant..
http://www.sarcoinc.com/dp19.htm

Thanks for the link, I was looking for one but didn't find much.

Someone told me that he was seeing two different tools for number 881, it
looked fine to me both at home and at work, but if you saw a photo with a
blue wall in the background, that was the wrong picture. I've just reloaded
both images for that number, so you should see the Stellon device assembled
in the first photo and dismantled in the second.

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to R.H. :
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again, as usual.

878) A device for measuring (or setting) to some degree of precision
the deviation of a surface from level.

The scale is not degrees -- so I might think that it is intended
to dial in a specific elevation angle for an artillery piece,
with tables converting that to range with a given charge.

The gear teeth are at the same intervals as the marking, so I
think that you pinch the two tabs to slide it to close to your
desired setting, and then rotate the knob to dial in a fraction
of one of those units.

The level vial is almost certainly a lot more sensitive than
anything except a Starrett "Master Precision Level" or one by
another maker.

879) I've never seen one of these before, but I suspect that it is
a form of air cushion bearing.

A Google search finds that NAPCO makes (or sells) automotive
parts and motorcycle parts -- but this does not look like one of
either to me.

880) I thought that you had put a similar one up in the past year or
two. It is a chem lab "cork borer". You select the tube for
the size of glass tubing which you wish to fit, and bore a hole
through the cork. It is also missing a central rod with a
knurled knob on the end which is used for pushing the cork out
of the smallest tube. The other sizes are cleared by using the
next size down.

Note that the free end of each is beveled. (Hmm ... *maybe*
what you showed before is the tapered brass core with a hinged
knife blade for sharpening these cork borers.)

881) For making *something* under pressure. Perhaps Vegemite, given
the Australian provenance?

I would have liked closer shots for the individual parts,
instead of that long shot with them all spread out along a
board.

882) A signal lantern -- perhaps for something like railroads.
You rotate it to present either the horizontal bar or the
vertical bar -- indicating "no-go" or "pass", I expect.

883) With that long a needle, it would be quite sensitive.
I think that it could be used in conjunction with a map and a
table to refine "sights". Put the map on the table, align the
object to the North-South line on the map, and rotate the map
and the compass until it reads zero, and then look around for
recognizable objects (and take sights to them) to determine
where you are on the map.

Now to see what others have guessed.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Marcia Pease wrote:
In R.H. wrote:

"Clay" wrote in message
. ..

878
Gunners Quadrant..
http://www.sarcoinc.com/dp19.htm

Thanks for the link, I was looking for one but didn't find much.

Someone told me that he was seeing two different tools for number 881,
it looked fine to me both at home and at work, but if you saw a photo
with a blue wall in the background, that was the wrong picture. I've
just reloaded both images for that number, so you should see the
Stellon device assembled in the first photo and dismantled in the
second.

881 It is to make campaign buttons?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 18:40:32 +0900, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

On 19 Jan 2007 05:32:53 GMT, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

883) With that long a needle, it would be quite sensitive.
I think that it could be used in conjunction with a map and a
table to refine "sights". Put the map on the table, align the
object to the North-South line on the map, and rotate the map
and the compass until it reads zero, and then look around for
recognizable objects (and take sights to them) to determine
where you are on the map.

you may be almost right.
substitute 'plane table' for table and you may have it.

plane tabling dates from before the 1950's. the mapping surveyor went
to a spot and put up his plane table and levelled it. then put the
piece of paper on it positioned so that the point on the emerging
drawing was plumbed over the spot on the ground. the sheet was
oriented precisely to the detail and radial lines drawn to prominent
objects. by moving around to other points and plotting to prominent
objects the entire detail could be developed on the map.
you would only need a needle with a small movement to aid in
orientation of the map.

I've never actually seen one so I'm guessing and the technique
predates my surveying time.

a land surveyor's plain tabling compass is my guess.

Stealth Pilot

I think this is right. It is called a "Trough Compass" and
is indeed used with a Plane Table. See the following links
for some examples:

http://www.gmat.unsw.edu.au/currents...l/html/s1.html

http://www.gemmary.com/rcb/instcat/06/06-003.html

http://www.orbitals.com/pic/survey/index.html

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT2696054

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

879- Disk from a tesla turbine?

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

I think this is right. It is called a "Trough Compass" and
is indeed used with a Plane Table. See the following links
for some examples:

http://www.gmat.unsw.edu.au/currents...l/html/s1.html

http://www.gemmary.com/rcb/instcat/06/06-003.html

http://www.orbitals.com/pic/survey/index.html

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT2696054

Thanks, those are some good links, looks like trough compass is the correct
answer.

Still not sure what two of them are in this week's set. I added one more
photo of the press that shows a close-up of two of the pieces, that's the
third and final photo of this device that was sent to me:

http://pzphotosan153t.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Another photo for this week, on the link below is a picture of a hook that
someone sent to me, it's 7-1/2" long:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m%205/hook.jpg

Anyone know what it would have been used for?

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In . com Robatoy wrote:

Marcia Pease wrote:
In R.H. wrote:

"Clay" wrote in message
. ..

878
Gunners Quadrant..
http://www.sarcoinc.com/dp19.htm

Thanks for the link, I was looking for one but didn't find much.

Someone told me that he was seeing two different tools for number
881, it looked fine to me both at home and at work, but if you saw
a photo with a blue wall in the background, that was the wrong
picture. I've just reloaded both images for that number, so you
should see the Stellon device assembled in the first photo and
dismantled in the second.

881 It is to make campaign buttons?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=320054733625#
ebayphotohosting

It looks like a pot for Stellon Regd ointment.

Until next time,
Marcey

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 06:14:18 -0800, Robatoy wrote:
R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

882 is an indicator to the train engineer which way the points (track
switch) are set.

Oh. ;-) I was going to guess "early audiophile full-range speaker." ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
I think this is right. It is called a "Trough Compass" and
is indeed used with a Plane Table. See the following links
for some examples:

http://www.gmat.unsw.edu.au/currents...l/html/s1.html

http://www.gemmary.com/rcb/instcat/06/06-003.html

http://www.orbitals.com/pic/survey/index.html

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT2696054

Thanks, those are some good links, looks like trough compass is the correct
answer.

Still not sure what two of them are in this week's set. I added one more
photo of the press that shows a close-up of two of the pieces, that's the
third and final photo of this device that was sent to me:

http://pzphotosan153t.blogspot.com/

AFAICT, Its a dental compressor. Look here on the top right:

http://www.metrodent.com/pdfs/Equipment.pdf

Denture acrylic is poured in a mold, and put inside this compressor to
cure under pressure. It looks like this is a 'spring compressor' type.
Here is a typical dental mold by Stellon with a similar engraving:

http://www.gilai.com/scripts/more/me...Items-yes.html

--riverman

--riverman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
Another photo for this week, on the link below is a picture of a hook that
someone sent to me, it's 7-1/2" long:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m%205/hook.jpg

Anyone know what it would have been used for?

Rob

It looks like a chain hook. Not uncommon, except for the flattened part
at the top. It seems like it 'buttonholed' into a link on the chain,
rather than the more common method of using a U-bolt to attach it.

--riverman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to R.H. :

I think this is right. It is called a "Trough Compass" and
is indeed used with a Plane Table. See the following links
for some examples:

http://www.gmat.unsw.edu.au/currents...l/html/s1.html

http://www.gemmary.com/rcb/instcat/06/06-003.html

http://www.orbitals.com/pic/survey/index.html

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPAT2696054

Thanks, those are some good links, looks like trough compass is the correct
answer.

I agree.

Still not sure what two of them are in this week's set. I added one more
photo of the press that shows a close-up of two of the pieces, that's the
third and final photo of this device that was sent to me:

http://pzphotosan153t.blogspot.com/

This seems to make the press for filling an ointment pot a
very good choice.

And one minor objection to your description of the use for the
cork borer. You said:

Cork cutters or cork borers, used in labs or drug stores to make small
corks.

And I say that it is not to *make* small corks, but to make
*holes* in corks to pass glass tubing through -- including medicine
droppers.

Later -- chem labs were supplied with pre-bored rubber stoppers
with zero, one, two -- or possibly even three holes -- depending on the
complexity of the setup.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

We have one on our boom truck at the end of the steel wire rope
crane. It is held by a simple, single loop in the wire rope held
by 3 wire rope connectors. The boom is rated for 5,000 #.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"R.H." wrote in message
Another photo for this week, on the link below is a picture of a
hook that
someone sent to me, it's 7-1/2" long:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...m%205/hook.jpg

Anyone know what it would have been used for?

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

AFAICT, Its a dental compressor. Look here on the top right:

http://www.metrodent.com/pdfs/Equipment.pdf

Denture acrylic is poured in a mold, and put inside this compressor to
cure under pressure. It looks like this is a 'spring compressor' type.
Here is a typical dental mold by Stellon with a similar engraving:

http://www.gilai.com/scripts/more/me...Items-yes.html

Thanks, seems to me that this is probably the correct answer.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

We have one on our boom truck at the end of the steel wire rope
crane. It is held by a simple, single loop in the wire rope held
by 3 wire rope connectors. The boom is rated for 5,000 #.

The owner of it was mostly wondering how it was attached to a chain or wire
since it didn't have an eye like other hooks, thanks for answering this one.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

This seems to make the press for filling an ointment pot a
very good choice.

I'm going with the dental press answer for now since there were similar
devices on the link, but I'm open to the idea of an ointment press if anyone
can provide a link to a similar one.

cork borer. You said:

Cork cutters or cork borers, used in labs or drug stores to make small
corks.

According to the "Dictionary of American Hand Tools":

"The cork cutter was used in drug stores and similar establishments to make
small corks."

I'm sure they could also have been used to make holes in corks for tubing,
though he doesn't mention that in the book.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
R.H. wrote:
The latest set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

879 could be an atomizer disc for a rotary paint applicator used in a
high volume electrostatic paint booth.

http://www.sames.com/en/products/for...aint/index.php

Take a look the PPH 405.

The discs have etched sections, interupted by plenum rings. The paint
follows the smooth path between the edged segments rather than the
rougher/etched section. The etched sections also set up a Magnus
effect, directing paint somewhat by increasing friction. The majority
of the paint-spray is directed by high voltage electrostatic
attraction.
Different size discs are used to vary the relative speed at
circumference as viscosity differences in paints dictate and 'leap-off"
atomization occurs...

Anyone for a game of Balderdash?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

881 (or is it 882?) Is a set of rubber or cork stopper hole "punches".
Found in most college chemistry labs. You twist them into the
rubber stopper - the sharp ends do the cutting.

charlie b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
This seems to make the press for filling an ointment pot a
very good choice.

I'm going with the dental press answer for now since there were similar
devices on the link, but I'm open to the idea of an ointment press if anyone
can provide a link to a similar one.

I have no idea what an 'ointment press' is. I figured ointment (such as
lip balms, etc) were poured into their containers as liquids and
allowed to cool, not compressed into them.

Knowing that Stellon was a dental equipment factory, I think the
crucible-type thing on EBay was the container where you mixed up the
acrylic before you poured it into the mold. I have no basis for this
(yet, but I'm looking), but I suppose that the central metal cylinder
in the press could have served two purposes: first it was stored in the
press as a 'spacer' to hold the whole thing tightly together between
uses. Then, the dentist or technician would place the cylinder beside
the press, place the cruciable on the cylinder (maybe over a burner?)
while they mixed the acrylic, and then pour it in the mold which was
placed in the press until it cured.

Like I said, this is just supposition. Any dentists here, or dental
technicians?

--riverman

--riverman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

humunculus wrote:
R.H. wrote:

I'm going with the dental press answer for now since there were similar
devices on the link, but I'm open to the idea of an ointment press if anyone
can provide a link to a similar one.

Here's a nice Flikr slide slow showing how this press was used.

http://tinyurl.com/32yktp

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

According to R.H. :
This seems to make the press for filling an ointment pot a
very good choice.

I'm going with the dental press answer for now since there were similar
devices on the link, but I'm open to the idea of an ointment press if anyone
can provide a link to a similar one.

Nope! Go ahead.

cork borer. You said:

Cork cutters or cork borers, used in labs or drug stores to make small
corks.

According to the "Dictionary of American Hand Tools":

"The cork cutter was used in drug stores and similar establishments to make
small corks."

Then the Dictionary is *wrong*.

I'm sure they could also have been used to make holes in corks for tubing,
though he doesn't mention that in the book.

Corks to fit in a bottle have a taper (except for wine corks,
which are compressed through a necking device for the purpose of
obtaining a snug fit). Anything produced by these would be straight
sided.

Check out:

https://www1.fishersci.com/Coupon;jsessionid=Fy3DSg75U6Qkl28D3WRuyxeMNym7rnpP uaSgND6pCYv1Ed1QfJYf!-1384766102?cid=1341&gid=2375539

(or of that fails due to wrapping, connect to:

http://www.fishersci.com/

and use the search entry to look for "cork borer"

In particular, the description for one of those offered reads:

Cork Borers; Will bore holes in corks and rubber stoppers; Plated
tubing; Smooth plastic handles; Handles stamped with number designation;
Set of 3 ranging 4.8 to 7.8mm

And there are other sets going up to "Set of 15", all of whose
descriptions are identical other than that.

Aside from the vendor being more likely to know the use than a
dictionary writer, consider the term "borer", which is an object to make
a hole in something -- not to make what came out of the hole.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:

Aside from the vendor being more likely to know the use than a
dictionary writer, consider the term "borer", which is an object to make
a hole in something -- not to make what came out of the hole.

Wikipedia has a pretty definitive answer (as definitive as any resource
that is not academic peer reviewed).

--riverman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Then the Dictionary is *wrong*.

I'm sure they could also have been used to make holes in corks for

tubing,
though he doesn't mention that in the book.

Corks to fit in a bottle have a taper (except for wine corks,
which are compressed through a necking device for the purpose of
obtaining a snug fit). Anything produced by these would be straight
sided.

OK, I'm convinced, I've looked around a little and didn't see any references
that agree with the dictionary so I've changed my answer to agree with you
and all of the other sources.

http://pzphotosan153t.blogspot.com/

Thanks,
Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

879 could be an atomizer disc for a rotary paint applicator used in a
high volume electrostatic paint booth.

http://www.sames.com/en/products/for...aint/index.php

Take a look the PPH 405.

The discs have etched sections, interupted by plenum rings. The paint
follows the smooth path between the edged segments rather than the
rougher/etched section. The etched sections also set up a Magnus
effect, directing paint somewhat by increasing friction. The majority
of the paint-spray is directed by high voltage electrostatic
attraction.
Different size discs are used to vary the relative speed at
circumference as viscosity differences in paints dictate and 'leap-off"
atomization occurs...

I guess 879 could be a paint disc, but the disc on the link doesn't look
much like the one on my site, and it's hard to tell what size it is from
looking at the photo. I'll need stronger evidence before I agree that the
air disc is for painting.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"humunculus" wrote in message
ps.com...

humunculus wrote:
R.H. wrote:

I'm going with the dental press answer for now since there were

similar
devices on the link, but I'm open to the idea of an ointment press if

anyone
can provide a link to a similar one.

Here's a nice Flikr slide slow showing how this press was used.

http://tinyurl.com/32yktp

Thanks, looks like you nailed this one.

Rob

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 10:33:02 -0500, "R.H."
wrote:

I guess 879 could be a paint disc, but the disc on the link doesn't look
much like the one on my site, and it's hard to tell what size it is from
looking at the photo. I'll need stronger evidence before I agree that the
air disc is for painting.

I am not sure but I think they were for setting up kinetoscopes (old
TV). My WAG
Mark
(sixoneeight) = 618
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I guess 879 could be a paint disc, but the disc on the link doesn't look
much like the one on my site, and it's hard to tell what size it is from
looking at the photo. I'll need stronger evidence before I agree that the
air disc is for painting.

I am not sure but I think they were for setting up kinetoscopes (old
TV). My WAG

Why would there be different sizes?